2015 Myriad Crane/Elysian

Mailer out. $5 price increase on Elysian and none on Crane.

Save The Date
March 14th, 2017 @ 10am

The 2015 Myriad Cellars Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Elysian/Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Cabernet release will begin March 14th, 2017 at 10am. Previous supporters will have One Week to purchase an allocation before the wines open to the public list. These wines will be available on a first-come, first-served basis to Previous Buyers from March 14th through March 20th, 2017. All wines will then open to the entire mailing list beginning March 21st at 10am.

2015 Myriad Cellars Beckstoffer Dr Crane/Elysian Release
2015 Myriad Cellars Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley $125 (Robert Parker/ Issue 228 Wine Advocate: 94-97 pts)
2015 Myriad Cellars Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Elysian Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley $165 (Robert Parker/ Issue 228 Wine Advocate: 94-97 pts)
A Three Bottle Minimum will apply to all orders (yes, mix & match is ok)

*Shipping begins the week of October 30th, 2017 - weather permitting

The 2015 Myriad Cellars Dr Crane Cabernets have tremendous concentration, depth, charm and personality. After a series of abundant years, the 2015 vintage offered us a ‘shy’ sized harvest that we could not be more proud of. Into the 4th year of extreme drought conditions and warm winter weather, bud break started far earlier than average. Subsequent rain, wind and cool weather in May provided us with a very small, but very high quality crop. Napa Valley yields were impacted by approximately 30-35%, as will be evident in our production numbers - some of which are quite limited. Allocations are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Tasting notes, vineyard information and reviews are available at http://www.myriadcellars.com

Actually a $5 decrease on Dr. Crane. Too bad it wasn’t a $35 decrease, I would still be buying…

(edit) checked my records, Dr. Crane was $125 last year ($130 with shipping), so no price increase this year.

I’m in. These wines are flat out delicious, and while yes, they are more expensive than the regular Myriad cab bottlings, I think they compare in quality to other high end cabs like Schrader, Myriad etc that are much more expensive. Mike does an amazing job and I love supporting his winery.

Grower mandated. Can’t sell the wine with the Beckstoffer name on the label unless you play his game.

It’s a shame that there aren’t other vineyards of comparable quality with fairer costs.

Well I’m in for 3 Dr Crane, we just had the 2013 and it was a wow wine.

A 97pt Napa Cab for $125 and it’s too expensive? Myriad offers some of the best value IMO. Yeah I’m biased. You’re lucky he doesn’t charge $200+ like the rest of them do.

Yes, Mike’s wines are terrific and the prices are very fair relative to other known winemakers sourcing from the same places.

It’s the 3 bottle minimum that puts this release outside my comfort zone, unfortunately.

I get that completely.

Used to be that the Semillon was released with the Dr. Crane cabs, which made a mixed 3-pack doable for me. However, now the Semillon gets released with the Syrahs.

I thought that last year there were 2 semillons, one released with the cab, and one with the syrah.
I could easily be mistaken, however.

Just checked CT… I lied. I bought both semillons on the same date last year. :frowning:

Cutting back on Napa a little. So I’m buying these but cutting the regular myriad cabs. Can’t pass on $125 dr crane.

I have really liked Dr. Crane in the past and I can agree that it is now unfortunately a relative value, but you’re the one that should feel lucky 'cause I’m done with $100+ bottles of wine. It probably won’t be long until I’m completely priced out of Napa - I can only hope the other Myriad, Quivet and Rivers-Marie cabs hold the line for a few more years…

While I’m on the soap box, it also irks me when I read justifications (for spending a $hit-load of money) like “…what great folks, I just love supporting the winery…” like it is some kind of charitable organization. Maybe the wineries could add a donation line to their order forms in return for holding the line on pricing for the rest of us poor saps? Rant over - go ahead rip me a new one…

Dude, I’m priced out of that market too. I’m just being realistic. I still buy the Napa Valley, Sems and Syrahs. Unlike you I do care about doing business with good people. People who thank me with a smile for my business and are sincere, generous, inviting and gracious. People who make you feel like family. People who could charge a lot more for their product but don’t. The first time I bought wine from Mike and Leah I opted to pick up since I am local. Mike invited my Wife and I into his home, opened 4 bottles of wine including an '06 Las Madres which was his first vintage. He didn’t know me from Adam but he treated me like he had known me for years. I’d much rather experience that than somewhere that won’t even stand behind a corked bottle. deadhorse YMMV.

This is great value and quality equal to wines 3X the cost.

Great value and Mike is outgoing, knowledgeable and professional. I’m a big fan of supporting small businesses. I haven’t met him and his wife in person yet. But, I’m looking forward to it when I make my next trip to Napa. In the meantime, I will be buying the 2015s.

+1 Well said, Sir!

Dude, I’m priced out of that market too. I’m just being realistic. I still buy the Napa Valley, Sems and Syrahs. Unlike you I do care about doing business with good people. People who thank me with a smile for my business and are sincere, generous, inviting and gracious. People who make you feel like family. People who could charge a lot more for their product but don’t. The first time I bought wine from Mike and Leah I opted to pick up since I am local. Mike invited my Wife and I into his home, opened 4 bottles of wine including an '06 Las Madres which was his first vintage. He didn’t know me from Adam but he treated me like he had known me for years. I’d much rather experience that than somewhere that won’t even stand behind a corked bottle. > deadhorse > YMMV.

Brian,

This was said increadibly well. I have actually tasted with you on a visit with Mike, back in 2013. My wife, 3 friends and I had an appointment and Mike introduced us. You could not have fit into the group better, Mike had us taste unlabeled Ancillary, the original Carter Weitz from barrel and at the time original Dr. Crane reserve, now Elysian from barrel.

I have probably tasted with Mike 4 or 5 times. I have sent people to Mike and universally the experience is among the best if not the best in the valley. Last time I basically showed up unannounced this past May, Mike was working in the barrel room, he stopped, came out spent about an hour and a half with me, was working on blending for Envy, included me in the trials, and basically tasted me on whatever I wanted. It truly was one of the best experiences I have ever had and was spur of the moment.

I am not the biggest buyer, I don’t often post here, however, supporting people like Mike and Leah is a privlage. We all have budgets, but to me Myriad, Quivet, ancillary, even Carter are relative deals. I’m fortunate I can enjoy a few bottles at this price point, if I am going to spend it, I’d rather spend it with a person whom appreciates the business as opposed to viewing me as just another customer.

Cheers,

Mark

I remember that day, just not the names. Bottles were lined up on a barrel head in the cellar right? I just happened to drop in during my work day in the valley and next thing I know I’m part of a tasting party. That’s textbook Mike!