Where is 2016 shaping up to be a top vintage?

Had my first child last year and want to cellar a bit for him to try when he is old enough. I know Burgundy had a very troubled vintage with very low yields. Where should I look to find regions where 2016 is shaping up to be a top vintage? Burgundy is my greatest love but anything that is of high quality and is ageworthy is interesting as I have a diverse palate and hope to teach him the wonders of the entire wine world - or at least big parts of it. Over the years I have loved lean, acidic Chianti’s and Loire Reds, full throttle Syrahs and Cab’s from the new world (USA in particular), Northern Rhones, Barolo, Ribera del Duero and Rioja, Pinot Noirs from many places, Champagne, Rich Chardonnays and crisp Rieslings (and so on - I hope you get the picture that I am open to all suggestions). Thanks in advance!

Oregon

Hi Hans and congratulations champagne.gif

As you know I’m pretty fond of great CdP, so for me this appellation is a no brainer since they claim to have a truly legendary vintage in their cellars.

Next month I’m going to taste the 2015’s at the brilliant Printemps tastings where I usually get a chat with the producers about the upcoming vintage. With the vast variation in styles, I’m confident that you’ll be able to find some stunners in the more classical, long lived department.

Northern Rhone will not as great as the 2015, but I’m sure there’ll be age worthy and brilliant wines from the usual suspects such as Guigal, Chapoutier, J.L.Chave and others.

Peter

When I was in Piedmont last November a few people I spoke with said 16 turned out to be an outstanding vintage; comparing it to 2006 & 2008. If it’s a cross between those two years…I’ll be more than happy.

Both Bordeaux banks; two prominent winemakers, one from each bank, told me that their wines are a significant step up from 2015 - if that is conceivable.

Hmmm, the true Vintage of the Century?
If so, Suckling et al will need to introduce a new top-score system. Maybe some stars added will do for the moment:
-, 99pts, 100pts, 100pts*, 100pts**, 100pts***, 100pts****, 100pts*****(Better than perfect!) [pwn.gif]

-Søren

Thanks guys! Keep’em coming :slight_smile:

I hear that the North Coast of California did well too. Edit: from a very reliable source

Happy to read that Bordeaux and Piemonte did well. That bodes well for finding wines with longevity.

Peter, thank you. I guess I’ll look for some Chnf for him as well although I have grown a bit tired with a number of the wines from the region.

Northern Rhone (Hermitage) - and maybe Chateauneuf-du-Pape.
I have nothing tasted so far (will be there in summer), but some winemakers have hinted that the results are very promising …

That´s 2nd hand info - so don´t blame me if …

I won’t blame anyone but myself, don’t worry;-)

I am happy that these regions appear to have had a good year. It makes it more likely to put more bottles and some diversity in the cellar on my budget as also the lesser names of the regions will have done well. I.e. Yes, I can almost blindly put e.g. Chave, La La’s, First Growths and so on in the cellar and expect them to go the distance but that would limit the amount of bottles I can buy. Very happy if it turns out I can put in lesser names from Bordeaux, Rhone and Piemonte in the cellar too.

Any insight on the quality of the 2016 vintage in Burgundy? I expect it to be expensive no matter the quality so it would of course be nice if the wines turn out good as well, given that I’ll probably buy some:o)

In Burgundy, whilst not homogeneous at all, some tremendous wines. Many growers told me that their '16s are at the same level or surpass their '15s, particularly in their precision.
You will do well finding good birthyear wines if you are appropriately selective.

It should be up there with the best of them in Bordeaux. Good for burg, albeit not for everyone, cdp should be fantastic (but I’m imagining it’s more classic than I prefer).

I’d bet Bordeaux hype overshadows all the other regions for wines of means though.

Adelaide Hills

Piedmont supposed to be pretty good

Does anybody have information or even tasted from barrel 2016 German Rieslings?

I heard that at least Rheingau and Rheinhessen were struggling. I will know more after Prowein in a couple of weeks

Other than that, it certainly sounds like I will have plenty of great opportunities!

For '16 Germans, from the very little I tasted, seem relatively soft, if charming.
Based on my very little input so far, not the best long distance runner vintage.
But we will see once things approach bottling, and from the different regions/producers there are bound to be some worthy candidates.

Have heard from some folks that it was a “classic” vintage: lower ripeness, high acidity, clean wines. The spring was difficult with frosts and such but the harvest period was long and cool, like 2015.

Thank you for the comments on the German wines.
Ross: I received the first of the letters by the wineries presenting the vintage (Willi Schaefer) and they speak of “acidity lower than in the previous vintage but present”. From what they write they don’t complain about the ripeness, to the contrary. Beginning of the summer was wet and difficult in the vineyards, but after July the weather was warm and stable, with September possibly the warmest since temperatures have been recorded.
In Graach they also had some hail.

Rutherford