Smith-Madrone cold call

Received a call today from someone identifying herself as being with Smith-Madrone. I’ve certainly bought their wine before, and received email and postal info from them, but I thought this was unusual. I was working and couldn’t talk; she said she’d try back another time. Anyone else get such a call? Curious what it might be about.

New sales manager looking to make some numbers?

Yup. Got a call from Dana from Smith Madrone 2 hours ago. She was pushing really hard to sell. They are trying to thin out their inventory to make room for the 2014’s so she said. I picked up 3 bottles of the 2013 cab.

Smith-Madrone , or, Chatterbox, for the winery? Chatterbox (do not know much about the outfit) does make sales calls on behalf of some wineries, and the call comes across as a winery phone #.

This would be considered a warm call, no?

The call was just a 707 number. The caller identified herself as being “with Smith-Madrone.”
I have no problem with a winery calling their customers, but it’s unusual in that business to “cold-call” someone.
Elliot, what sort of prices were they offering?

I loved the 2012 at the 35 bucks I paid for at K&L? What pricing were they offering here?

The prices weren’t any deal. I just bought it because I liked it. The last two times I’ve visited both Charlie and Stu gave me cash prices at $45/per for the cab. The prices i got this ended up being $58/per including tax and shipping. $50/per plus tax and $10 shipping for 3 bottles. Far from any deal but I don’t have any of their 2013’s and I really enjoy their wines. You can’t win them all…

http://www.chatterboxwinemarketing.com - when a winery signs-on with Chatter Box (or the other companies that do the same thing), they train staff at the contracted company to be an ‘ambassador’ for the brand, while handing over contact info of past customers and tasting room visitors. Your definition of ‘with’ might differ from their’s, but I think you get the idea.

These guys are constantly posting open positions on WineJobs.com if you’re interested in a career change… [wow.gif]

I have no clue if that’s what S-M is doing, but the business model is very real and active.

smith madrone is probably having a hard time selling 2013’s, 2010 & 2011 cabs picked at 23 brix in july is more in their wheelhouse.

Unless they deeply discount it, what’s the point?

http://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1230299

There is a waiting list at K&L so I am not sure how that will help, regardless of the price.

My bad.

http://m.wine-searcher.com/find/smith+madrone+cab+sauv+spring+mnt+district+napa+valley+county+north+coast+california+usa

Snagged a handful of the 2012’s at that price from K&L awhile back - seems like they had a few cases.
I had a 2007 last year and the fruit was there, but it had a total blast of oak that hadn’t integrated. I’ve had other vintages that weren’t like that, hopefully it was a one off.

That is better, and I concur. It is not as if provenance will be an issue.

Deep discount~at their retail price, which is low. They are under the radar and I’m sure they have to hustle to sell. They are not a WB darling.

It depends on where you live, provenance could be an issue if you live in the midwest. I live in California and certainly would not be buying from the East Coast. Not SM, but I cannot source many wines out here at the price they are selling for on the East Coast.

I received one of these; I once bought a case of Riesling from the winery. My caller ID identified the caller as being from Wine Leverage:

The call was a very aggressive, boiler room stock broker type call. I was legitimately confused and expressed same to the caller who acted very defensive. Strange call.

I had my last bottle of 2011 Cab from Smith Madrone the other night and I loved it. Love this style and wish there were more options in Napa and CA for this style!

Just got a similar call from someone trying to sell me Matthiasson wine, really boiler-room style, like Greg said. I really really hate being sold to, and to be honest it’s changed my perception of the winery. I was definitely “likely to recommend” to friends and now I’m solidly “irritated and weirded out”. In a case like this where their marketing effort is actually backfiring, do you think it’s worth my effort to write them a friendly heads up? I enjoyed my visit with them last spring and they seemed like nice people who made nice wine, so I feel like giving them the benefit of the doubt and letting them know the effect the call had.