TN: 2010 Pietro Cassina Coste della Sesia Ca' Daj Tass - 15L barrels!?

• 2010 Pietro Cassina Coste della Sesia Ca’ Daj Tass - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Coste della Sesia (3/10/2017)
    Medium garnet core, bright, with no sign of age. Generously perfumed (100% Nebbiolo), with bright red and purple floral surrounding a core of cherry and raspberry fruits. With some time in the glass, more soil notes emerge bringing an even greater sense of harmony. On the lighter side of medium-bodied this nonetheless offers considerable layering of the red fruits. This is a unique wine, it’s not like any other Nebbiolo or Alto Piemonte wine I’ve had before - there’s a top coat of vanilla to the nose, and a light creaminess to the palate (two things that otherwise generally make me run away). But, the vanilla is of the fine European pastry sort, sweet-ish, fine, not like the US versions -confected, sickly sweet, etc. The vanilla aspect adds interest, as does the overall texture - but it’s not these features that add interest on their own, but how they marry to the structure within, which is quite good. Dry, with fine tannins, plenty of fresh acidity and a medium finish, this wine has a maceration <10 days in tank, and is then transferred to (and I think this is where the unique part really shows, I had to research the reason behind what I was experiencing, and now it makes more sense) Austrian-Swiss oak casks that range from 15L-30L, i.e. tiny. In a great place now with no prior aeration, this can age another 6-8 years with no problem. Would gladly repurchase. 13,0% abv. recommended

Served non-blind.

Posted from CellarTracker

I can only think that is a typo. A barrique is small at 225L. 15L would be absolutely tiny and (IIRC) even smaller than the caratelli used in Vin Santo production.

My guess is it’s hectolitres (HL) and 15-30HL is not an unusual size (I guess it would rank as a small Botte). If new and/or medium to high toast then you could still get oak coming through.

Of course I could be wrong.

Nope, Wines - Banville Wine Merchants typo.

I was very curious as to my experience with this wine last night, so I talked with Pietro Cassina this morning (9,30 his time); Sadly, his 8yr old German Sheppard had just passed, only a few hours prior.

As to the tiny oval casks, in addition to the 15L, he also uses 25L and 30L.

A unique, and pleasant experience.

Hi Tim
This still seems odd
I just looked at their facebook page and the cellar photos all look to be of oval barrels of a more normal size - indeed this one rather helpfully put the size of the barrel on the front - 15HL

regards
Ian

15L is less than two cases of wine…

thanks, Ian. Yeah, I couldn’t picture it, let alone the expense that would have been involved. I was about to ask Pietro for a picture so I could wrap my head around it, but before I could, he replied “Now run tp Piacenza for Sorgente del Vino wine fair for small producer”.

My first question to him was “Ciao Pietro, I very much enjoyed the 2010 Ca’ Dai Tass last night. i am curious, are you still using a short maceration period (<10 giorni), and 15L (?) oak casks for ageing?”

…and there we are

Hi Tim
I have seen tiny barrels, smaller indeed than 15L, used by Aussies for maintaining a blended port at home. The idea being they take a small amount of something old, a larger amount of something with a little age, plus the majority recently released by the wineries that sell in bulk to the public. They’ll continue to top up with young wine as they remove some of the blend to drink. A nice concept if you drink enough to make it worthwhile.
regards
Ian

cheers, Ian. Yes, and many similar (+/-) are used in the production of craft beers, too. I’m looking forward to meeting Pietro, he seems a real, honest soul.

I’ll certainly keep an eye out for his wines (his is a new name to me). I know a little more about Ghemme and Gattinara producers, but less so Lessona and Boca. I’m itching to get back to the area, but the closest I expect to get on an upcoming trip to Torino, is Ivrea as a possible day trip option. It’s not viable to day trip further from Torino, especially as a car makes no sense in the city of cars!