1978 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard

WOW! [shock.gif]

And not one bid…

I’M WAITING TO SNIPE IT !!!

Anyone know how many vintages of the Lake have been made?

Diamond Creek Lake was first produced in 1978, it has only been made 14 times over the past 40 years.
Read more at:Diamond Creek Napa Valley California Wine Cabernet Sauvignon

Thanks, Ned.

birth year wine. should i get it? neener

I saw that too, and thought it was a pricing error or something…until I looked up the deets on the wine.

Anyone here ever tried that bad boy…or any of the vintages?

I’ve got a case and a half left…I’ll bring one friday! [wow.gif]

Yes, very good but no better than the Volcanic Hill 1978 which we tasted with it. 93 points

Hey, you be quite. It costs more so it HAS to be better. neener

The 78 is quickly becoming a unicorn wine. And that bottle looks well stored.

Lake Vineyard always seemed a bit weird to me. It is a really small plot tucked by the entry road and somewhat near the lake that Al built. I don’t know how grapes ripen at all over there, given that the vineyard is surrounded by pine forest and quite low relative to its surroundings. Beauty spot though.

Sorry Andy, I forgot.

I would rather buy 4 bottles of the Martha’s 74 for that money or several of the Martha’s 75 or 78. The Insignia 78 and 79 is no slouch either.

Been following this wine for years but have never seen a bottle. That is more than twice what I have ever seen asked for the 1978 before.

Wine is a legend, story is also great.

Like the '74 Conn Creek Eisele. Saw that go at a recent auction for a huge number and the bottle was in terrible shape.

Chicago Wine Company had a 6L of this (with a bonus 375ml) a few years ago for not much more than the current bid.

(Point reference omitted)

Agree. '78 Diamond Creeks are, IMHO, among the best ever from California. That being said, the '78 Lake is not worth the premium at least insofar as the contents of the bottle are concerned. Looking for the right time to pull my last (??) VH and GM.

HIC

Though a PM exchange I’m thinking TCWC may have had a 6L of the 84.

1 Like

Mark - Never tasted the Lake. However I did just attend a Diamond Creek tasting over the weekend with the current Diamond Creek winemaker (Phil Steinschriber) where we tasted 40 different bottles including 78 Volcanic Hill and several other Lakes. Phil said the 78 Lake is definitely one of the greatest wines he has ever tasted. Not going to debate whether it is worth $4000 but as you can see from the history others have.

Interesting tidbit the small Lake vineyard section planted next to a man made lake was originally planted more for decoration and it was never intended to be a very special micro plot.