TN: 2015 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie)

• 2015 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (4/11/2017)
    Popped and poured, this had very primary juicy dark and earthy fruit, but almost nothing behind it. There’s no there there, which is a surprise. As someone who buys this on a regular basis, I was expecting more, especially from a full-bodied vintage like 2015. It almost felt out of balance, as if the grapes were ripe but not phenologically so. Maybe they picked early to avoid any excessive ripeness, but frankly we barely drank half the bottle before dumping it down the drain. Which is a shame, as we love Beaujolais and this producer.

Posted from CellarTracker

Why not save the rest and try later, perhaps even the next day?

If that cuvée is closed, the Griffe will need decades!

This wine didn’t get any better for me on Day 2. It wasn’t closed, just not good to my palate.

Bad bottle? Mild TCA? All the reports I’ve seen on this say almost OTT fruit, so a bottle giving nothing seems strange.

I gave up on 15 Bojo after trying 2 different Dutraives and the Lapierre. My experiences were similar to Michel’s. Coudert would have been next but I just went back and bought more 2014’s. So glad that I did.

I loved the Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive - I assume this is the wine? - when tasted at the domaine in Februaryy. I genuinely thought it one of my wines of the week - I did three weeks…

If the TN and the title of the post are correct, then it’s just the regular, not the Tardive.

Had a similar experience with this wine. Grapey, pungent, almost juiced (rather than juicy).

Just wondering, as I tasted only 3 2015s there.

1. Fleurie (which is only 80% Clos de la Roilette)
  2. Venganges Tardives
  3. Griffe

I have tried to like Beaujolais, but cannot even “appreciate” it.
To me, the wine often tastes like liquidified red chalk.

Bill, that seems odd. I think that the standard Fleurie is the Cuvee Christal (sort of pink on white label), then there is the regular Clos de la Roilette (yellow label), then there is the Tardive (same label as the Roilette with red angled “cuvee tardive” printed with horse in middle) and finally (AFAIK) the Griffe. So it seems you did not taste the regular Clos de Roilette, which I would say is by far the most common cuvee on the US market, though that and the Tardive receive somewhat similar attention here. Typically I find the Tardive very much in line with the regular Roilette, just “more” of everything, and typically needing more time. I’ve never had the Christal or the Griffe.

Sorry, I’ve been traveling for work so didn’t respond as rapidly as usual.

This was the yellow label Fleurie. And I did retry it on Day 2, as well as Day 3 (I’m a glutton for punishment). The wine never really came together, it was always very juicy yet unbalanced and had hints of unripe aspects as well. I wonder if they picked early to avoid any over-ripe notes but in the process got grapes that didn’t have phenolic ripeness.

No TCA (I am super annoyingly sensitive to that), and the wine had just arrived from the distributor to the store, where it was stored in perfect conditions.

Try the 2015 Metras Fleurie

I usually love Metras, it’ll be interesting to see how he did in 2015.

You’ll be pleased.

I like that fleurie but the price point is a little rough.