Dalla Valle

I’ve really enjoyed older bottles (1991-1994) of Dalla Valle I’ve picked up in auctions over the past few years. I made it onto their mailing list and I’m wondering if the current releases of Dalla Valle are made in the same style as the early 90s?

The newest Dalla Valle I’ve had is 1997, which seemed like it was leaning a bit modern. I know the ABV is way up on current releases, which gives me a bit of concern. That being said, I’m not particularly adept at picking up the difference between 12.5% and 15%, so I’m more concerned with the ripeness of the fruit and the corresponding acidity (if any).

Galloni did an amazing article back in 2014. If you are a subscriber, check it out.

Thanks Ian, I’m not a subscriber, but the link appears to be specific to Maya. With that in mind I’m more interested in impressions on the estate bottling.

Ah, sorry, I see Dalla Valle, I immediately think Maya :slight_smile:

I know that the more recent releases made by Andy Erickson, in conjunction with vineyard manager Steve Matthiasson are far more from the cloth of the early 90s vintages. I think when Hedi Barrett left the style began to change (Tony Soter was winemaker for most of the late 90s with a soft transition to Mia Klein).

That’s encouraging to hear, thanks for the info.

400+

Yup. I’m a huge fan of pretty much everything Dalla Valle did in the 90s. I haven’t tried anything recent but with current pricing for Dalla Valle Cab at $200 and maya being $425, I’m not lookin to try it anytime soon.

Although it creates more competition for my own personal tastes, I would recommend you buy older vintages. You already know you love em and the price is right (and significantly below current release pricing).

Agree!!!

But of course! And that’s why it’s no surprise that you’re universally known as a solid dude and rumored to be the front runner in Time Magazine’s Man of the Year selection process.

The first Napa cab that totally blew me away was a 1996 Dalla Valle cab.

You’re speaking my language Bud! I got hooked by the '95 Dalla Valle Cab. Had it in a lineup next to a '90 Troplong Mondot and it completely changed the way I looked at Napa cabs. Really, really special.

I recently got my hands on some late '80s Dalla Valle cabs. Unfortunately the first bottle I opened (an '88) had long since ceased to be drinkable. Crossing my fingers on the rest of the bottles.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ll pick up some newer releases at auction since they seem to be trading at a ~25% discount to release pricing.

The 91 was an epiphany wine for me a few years back, but the last few I’ve had seem to be right on the brink. Since I’m buying them at auction who knows what the storage was like, but the fills have been into the neck and the corks have been sound.

Opinion on which is drinking best right now 92, 95, 96, 97 or possibly 99. Reg cab not maya.

Bud remember how good that 92 was like 12 years back? Didnt we have some other vintages together. Maybe we should of kept track???

I’ve had the '94 and the '97. The '94 is amazing, the '97 is too modern for me.

The 99 is more elegant than the more ripe 97

The 96 was my first ‘wow’ wine. Haven’t had one in a long time.

That is quite a number of well-known people to have worked in that winery.

I had the 95 in early May. I did not take notes as it was a birthday dinner. Absolutely stunning Cabernet though.

Tom

I tasted the Dalla Valle PNV lot in February - it was the 2016 vintage from barrel. Very nice wine but definitely a more fruit forward style than earlier vintages.