Thoughts on Huet Le Haut Lieu Sec versus Demi-sec 2015

Hi

I am trying to decide between Huet’s Le Haut-Lieu Sec and Demi-Sec for 3 bottles of wine to lay down for a few years.

Have any of you tried them yet and do you have any opinion?

For context - I do like Loire Chenin Blanc quite a bit. I had loved Le Haut-Lieu Sec 2014 the few times that I had tested it at a wine bar last year (I haven’t tasted any other Huet; except for a 2009 Moelleux which was nice, but wasn’t really my thing). It should really be a no-brainer to buy the Sec version. But I also read at Jancis Robinson’s that the 2015 vintage at Loire was awesome, but more acidic compared to 2014. At CellerTracker, some folks found the Huet Sec too acidic right now. So it is a bit harder to decide … While I do tend drink Chenins on the dry side, I dont have as much of an appreciation for bone-dry whites. I like that hint of honey on Chenins. I generally stay on the lower end of the price spectrum - Champalou, J M Raffault, Chidaine (on the rare occasions when I get some) etc.

Would appreciate getting a few opinions on Huet 2015s.

Huet Sec is anything but bone dry. They’re definitely on the “Demi” side of “Sec.”
I can’t comment on this vintage, but I bought a lot of the '09, '10 & '14, mostly Sec, but some of the sweeter ones (Demi’s & Moelleux 1ère Trie). I personally find the Sec wines more versatile. There have been reports of premature oxidation of the '02’s, but I haven’t found any advanced bottles in my wines.

Bottom line is this; I don’t think you can go wrong with either, but if your storage or budget limit you to a few, I think the Sec are more versatile for meals. If you prefer sweeter wines, go Demi or Molleux.

Cheers,
Warren

If you prefer the Sec style more, go with the sec, but know that most folks that are passionate about Vouvray believe Demi-Sec is the best expression of the grape. I virtually never buy Sec and opt for Demi and Moelleux 1ere Trie.

Sec guy here…and cellar for say ten years!

you’ll be happier if you buy more than 3.

The 2014 vintage is completely defined by its acidity (I find it delicious) and 2014 is way ahead of 2015 for acidity. The 2015 vintage is rather more plush and rich in style, and for acid fans may be a little too soft. I can’t understand where the notion that for Loire whites 2015 is more acidic than 2014 might have come from - it’s definitely the other way around. The 2015 vintage is a top vintage for Vouvray, and was the first vintage in a few years that they made the full range at Huet, from sec up to the 1ere trie wines (and probably Constance too I think). But the wines of 2014 are delicious too.

I agree with Brad, which is that if you like the sec style, go for that. I don’t think there are going to be any problems with Huets being bone dry. The ‘sec’ wines often feature 7-8 g/l residual sugar, whereas many other truly sec wines are more likely to be 3-5 g/l.

I’m in the demi-sec camp - RS and acidity make for a more clear expression to my palate and I have plenty of cuisine in my rotation that works with demi-sec or sweeter whites. I did try the '15 Le Haut Lieu Demi-Sec recently and loved it - bright, crystalline, energetic with good acidity. I think the sugar helps carry the wines over time too (just an anecdotal opinion).

Cheers,
fred

Lots of Demi-gogues here, but I’m addicted to Secs.
Chris Kissack is where I go for information on all things Loire; I’m glad he added his impressions here.

Cheers,
Warren

Thanks a ton everybody.

I ended up buying 2 secs and 1 dem-sec. The Dallas market availability can be weird; If these are still on the shelves next month, I may pick up 3 more (I had already busted my wine budget for the month last week … ).

I am more of a sec drinker. But I suspect Huet dem-secs will go well with the kind of food that we eat. I’ll look for opportunities to taste Huet demi-secs.

Very much appreciate your guidance and recommendations here.