TN: 2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard

• 2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (5/13/2017)
    Red ruby color. Full-blown nose of violets and more violets, joined by scents of raspberry, anise, iodine, and rock. Layers of stony red fruit on the palate with an integrated burst of that wild, sauvage beef-blood Pisoni thing streaking through and resolving to sweet grip with each sip. Nicely acidic and demonstrating firm but fine-grained tannin. Long finish of red berry, iron, briar, and stone. Lovely showing for this wine, with all its fruit and crags, and right up my alley. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

This reads as if this wine is emerging from the shell I feel it’s been in the past two or three times I’ve had it. Did this bottle strike you as Reserved in any way, Doug?

Brian,

This was my one and only bottle, so not much a track record I’m afraid. I thought it was open for business and certainly more integrated than the 2005, which I have sampled multiple times (and not ready yet). I would not regard it as reserved at this point so much as rounding into view. The nose was unreal and palate had that deep iodine drill-down that Joe does so well.

Hope your next bottle shows well.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks for the note Doug!
I almost pulled this one last night, but went another direction.
Sounds lovely.
Joe Davis and Pisoni is A+

Dennis,

Hope you enjoy it. You are right, it’s a great combination.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks, Doug. [cheers.gif]

2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (5/18/2017)
– decanted approx. 30 minutes before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: violets; raspberry Twizzlers; fresh apple skins (not oxidized); ripe fruit; a touch alcholic, and somewhat light.

BODY: garnet-violet color of medium depth — maybe a hint of bricking; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: tight; high acidity; red-fruited; background hints of earth and leather; crazy this is 16 years post-vintage, as it tastes quite young, and there is clearly still room for improvement; 13.6% alc. is a touch spiky. This is drinking nicely right now, but I strongly believe it’s still holding back. Ashley’s gut impression score was 91; my score is below. Drink Now or Hold; if you want obvious tertiary aromas/flavors, then you have to continue Holding.

50, 5, 12, 17, 8 = (92 pts.)

Brian,

Glad yours showed well. Don’t disagree with holding off on draining any remaining bottles as this will not decline for years at least. I thought it was reaching its drinking window as is but would be glad to be wrong!

Cheers,
Doug

My only concern here is the alcohol, but I’m pretty sure there’s enough fruit to prevent the alcohol from becoming a problem.

This is a really nice wine. Thanks for the note.

Lovely nose of iron, rose petals and cranberry fruit. Not quite the verve that I remember from my last bottle a couple of years ago. Good acidity and nice crisp cranberry and raspberry notes on the palate, but just a touch tired on the finish. May be time to drink up?

Jud,

Nice to see some follow up on this wine. I acquired additional bottles, and my last taste was a month ago. Certainly evolving but I really enjoyed it. In general, I’ve been pleased with the long arc Joe’s wines demonstrate. If you have another bottle perhaps it would be worth another try. Interestingly just sampled the 2005 from a half bottle last night and it was delicious!

Cheers,
Doug

I have 4 more Doug, so will give one a shot soon. I usually expect Joe’s wines to last a long, long time so I was surprised to perceive the wine to be advanced.

One of (if not the) the masters of that vineyard, great note Doug.

The 2002 is my current favorite, but I have yet to open an ‘05.

I have the Pisoni 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007.

What shall I open soon?

I’ve had the 01 Pisoni twice in the last 6 months and gave it 93-94. Color was great and it seemed in the zone. So rare to have an 18 year old Pinot from Cali in that kind of shape.

The Arcadian Pisoni?

I just took inventory of my Arcadian Pinot holdings. Yes, Piper, Arcadian P-I-S-O-N-I.

Found a few things hiding, but here is what I have:

Arcadian Pisoni PN: 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007.
In addition: 2005 Francesca, 2008 Sleepy Hollow, and 2-2009 La Encantada.

Buy me dinner like we used to do before you got so MARRIED, and I’ll open one or 2. flirtysmile

Merrill,

For selfish reasons I’d be very interested in how the 2000 is doing. I don’t have any but the 2000 Francesca has shown well for years.

Cheers,
Doug