wine access company?

Any experience with an internet company called wine access? Sounds like a wine liquidator.

Just bought 6 bottles of a 2010 Super Tuscan from them for half the price of the lowest price on wine searcher.
Wine is cooked- no obvious signs of seepage but must have been badly stored for a long time.

Are they known for “deals” like this?

Wine Assess or Wine Access? I think you’re heading has it misspelled.

yes- fixed

They’re sort of like last bottle but typically have more than one offer going at a time; I’ve bought from them many times and haven’t had issues like you mentioned but they are often not as good a deal as you might think. Very hyperbolic in their writing but carry some pretty good things.

Earlier in my collecting journey, I bought a ton of wine from them, mostly mid-level stuff. I still buy occasionally when the deal is great or on something I haven’t tried (like Colume Torrontes) that’s cheap.

While I haven’t consumed all of the bottles I bought from them, none of them has been flawed.

As you probably saw, there’s a substantial narrative accompanying each offer they make. Most if not all of the stories suggest they’re getting the wine directly from the producer rather than as a close out. That said, I’ve noticed that there’s one distributor’s logo (Fleet Street) on about 1/3 of the purchases I’ve made from them.

So in summary over 15-20 orders, my experience with them has been positive. You know what you’re buying. Shipping has been no hassle and the wine has arrived in good condition when they said it would.

I’ve only had two minor issues with them, both of which they made right:

1. I bought four bottles of something and they got less than they thought they would. They were only able to offer me two bottles. They offered to refund the two bottles they couldn’t deliver or replace with a great offer on two bottles of something else (I think it was Orma Toscana).

2. I live in Georgia and they can’t ship more than 12 cases to any one person in a calendar year. Don’t know if this is Georgia law or something they have in place. This wasn’t clear when I bought the 13th case. They let me know via email and offered a refund or shipping to another person.

-af

I got an email today about an “NDA” 2014 Rutherford cab. Based on the Parker quote they gave about the estate, a quick google search suggests that it’s from ZD Wines whose 2014 cab is a ~75 dollar wine (and whose “flagship” cab is indeed around the 200 dollar ballpark they mentioned). Anyone able to discern 1) if this is just a “shiner” bottle that they just relabeled with an NDA or whether they bought fruit from the estate and made their own wine? and 2) anything about ZD Wines? I like some of their neighbors Pina and Dakota Shy–which is I guess more than nothing, but don’t know anything about ZD.

Relevant link: https://bit.ly/2UeisY2

I think the ZD base cabernet is very solid, but wouldn’t pay $75 for it at retail. A restaurant in the midwest I’ve been to a few times has it for around $90, which I think is a good deal post markup. Probably why it showed up here.

They seem to be reliable, but always consult wine-searcher for pricing. Many times their prices are not as good as retail.

Also, their “blurbs” accompanying the offers are either hyperbole (ok, a given, but theirs is extreme) or unmitigated bs, bordering on fraudulent. They really grind my gears.

This is true. On the other hand I’ve had a couple of QPRs from them like Winter and Melanson Matthew’s Block that have lived up to the hype. Doing your own research on each offer is really helpful.

Agree completely on the Winter and Melanson - wish I had bought cases back then. Having said that, it has been a while since I came across anything like that - and not inclined to buy the mystery labels. Once in a while that is the real deal - maybe I’ve been unlucky, but the ones I’ve purchased have been perfectly fine bottles but nothing special. Certainly not up to the $200 a bottle hype you usually see.

Just got this from Wine Access, in response to coronavirus. 15% of wines on their site:

To our valued members,

We’re certainly not accustomed to sheltering in place, but wine is! Perhaps, given the circumstances, we can all take a moment to appreciate the life of a great bottle: those destined for the cellar or wine fridge; subjected to a long, silent stay in darkness at a constant 55 degrees. That’s the kind of isolation we generally prefer.

Wine is an essential part of life for our members—the enjoyment of it goes part and parcel with the livelihood of our winery partners—and we want to do our part to help both.

Beginning immediately, we’re offering 15% off every wine in our Store* through at least the end of March. Most Store wines ship the next day so you can enjoy them as soon as possible, or you can specify a delivery date.

There is no higher priority than family and friends, and we want you to know that we’re doing everything we can to ensure the health and safety of the Wine Access family: All of our employees are working from home, and our Wine Team will be (reluctantly) off the wine trail for now—but still in close contact with our many winery partners around the world. We will continue to taste and judge every bottle from our home offices, so you only receive offers that overdeliver on quality.

We are grateful to be a part of your life, and hope you and your families remain safe and healthy in this unpredictable time.

Sincerely,
Joe Fisch
CEO, Wine Access

PS: For Limited Time Offers (preorders), we always send an email update before shipping your wine, and we’ll continue to do that so you can easily and efficiently modify your delivery date (or add more wines to your shipment). Limited Time Offers are not eligible for the additional 15% off.

I’ve purchased from them a handful of times, and have had good experiences. Also, if you dont already have an account, use the referral code below to get $50 off your first order of $150.

Among others, they currently have 2018 Tensley Colson Canyon for $35 when purchasing 6 bottles or more and free shipping. With the $50 credit thats a strong deal ($27/bottle)

I love wineaccess. Have gotten some nice high end (for me!) wines there and found they have great customer service.

Wineaccess has 15% off right now all of their in stock wines. Also if it’s your first time ordering use this link (shameless referral!) for $50 off your first order.

http://share.wineaccess.com/v/shay

Both of your referral links do not work.

if you click then link it wont necessarily show anything (it will take you to the the wine access website), but once you go to check out the $50 credit will apply.