Etiquette Question: Vineyard or Winemaker Appointments

Should vineyard visits and barrel tastings only be arranged if one intends to join the wine club or buy a case or more?

[For those who want the backstory, the vineyard tour/tasting for my wife and I came about when the winery could not accommodate my larger group of 12 people the next day. They said they prefer groups of 4 or less, so I asked if we could come as a couple the day before. They said yes, but I want to be considerate of their time, since I am most likely to buy a few bottles, rather than a case or membership.]

Since the main reason of visiting a winery is deciding whether or not you want to buy, I think if you enjoy the wines you should buy some. However, if you genuinely do not like them I’d say you shouldn’t buy.

By asking this question you’ve already answered it yourself.

Sage advice

Completely agree. Where I am stuck is on what the threshold is for buying enough to make it worth their time. My gut says wine club or case.

I think a couple bottles is fine. If you like the wine you’re likely to buy more in the future.

I don’t think you should go into this tasting with a ‘threshold’ IMHO. The winemaker would not make the time unless he or she wanted to - at least that’s the way it should be. If they did not want to do this but instead felt ‘obligated’ or ‘put out’, they may have put a ‘tasting fee’ of some sort.

It might be ‘nice’ of you to step up and purchase more because you feel obligated, but I just don’t believe you should unless you really enjoy the wines and the experience - but I may be in the minority here.

Cheers.

If it’s just the winery staff giving a standard tour/tasting, then I wouldn’t feel obligated to buy something just because. I would feel differently if the tour/tasting was being done by the owner or winemaker, esp. if they were going out of their way to accommodate me.

Bruce

As winemakers, we should try to make the visit worth YOUR time. When that happens, people usually buy some wine!

Cheers,
Bill

Right. If it were tasting room staff, in a tasting room open during normal operating hours, I would not feel this way.

This is a grower and winemaker taking time out of their busy schedule. More and more I am thinking I will cancel.

The problem is, that doesn’t even give them a choice of whether they’d want to show me their operation to build long term brand equity.

On the other hand, if I call them to say “I don’t want to take your time for just a couple bottles.” it almost forces them to reply “Don’t worry, come on by”. I mean, what are they gonna do, say “Yeah, you’re right. Don’t come.” ?

I think you should just go, and if you like it, buy something. I’ve built a lot of good long term relationships with winemakers that started with small purchases and I’m sure that’s not uncommon.

Read what Larry said. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone’s head here. And your purchases aren’t going to make or break a business, even if you buy a few cases for the rest of your life.

This place sounds like they’re really going out of their way - if they’re taking fewer people at a time, that means they want to have a dialog and make it worth your while.

Seem like good people - why not let us know who they are?

I went to a tasting in Sonoma (arranged here) and I didn’t enjoy the wine. I didn’t buy, and never felt the obligation to do so; but did offer to pay a tasting fee. It was refused. Do not feel guilty.

If the wine is expensive, buy what you can afford. 1 bottle or 5. Up to you.
If the wine is reasonable, buy what you can afford. 1/2 case. A case.

When I first started in this hobby, I purchased a case of something I enjoyed, but after the 6th bottle, the wine got boring. I reduced the buy to 6 bottles, but by the 3rd bottle, the wine got boring. Most times, I’ll buy a bottle or 2, but several assorted wines from the winemaker.

A winemaker who I’m close to told me that he closes 98% of the visitors that taste with him (privately, and not at a bar with 20 people). I wouldn’t worry if you don’t buy. That goes with the territory for the winemaker.

Your only obligation is to go and learn about the winery and wines, taste with an open mind and, if you genuinely like the wines, begin a relationship by purchasing whatever you a comfortable with.

That you are putting this much thought into it already puts you leaps and bounds ahead of the most of the world!

Try the winery’s wines ahead of time.

If you like them, go for it!

If not, don’t go.

Have you tried the wine before? If not, maybe sourcing a single bottle elsewhere and drinking it prior will help you decide.

Every time I’ve been to wine country I’ve been on a budget. Think college student, social worker budget…I had money but it was really limited to what I could purchase. The wineries I liked I always bought a bottle…the wineries I liked and continue to like I usually bought 2-3 bottles. I’ve never been one to buy cases of wine from a winery. Now as my career progresses and I can afford more; it might be a half case. Of course, now if I’m going to a winery it’s because I’m trying to make a memory for a wine I already like. So go, have a good time…and make some memories. Buy what you like…and thank them for their time.

And that’s why it’s good to spit. Would hate to buzz buy a thousand dollar case only to regret the next day, or worse, when you open bottle number 1 at home with friends.

I have to take a plane to anywhere I schedule a visit so I’m always limited by what I can check as luggage. I always buy a bottle or two but never got the impression the winemaker/owner/host was bothered or upset I didn’t buy more or join a club. They are trying to build a long term relationship and hope you’ll buy in the future (at least the places I have visited here and in Europe). Then again, I tend to visit wineries I’m familiar with and/or already buy.

You’re getting a unanimous response from people who actually work on the production side of the business here that there should be no obligation. I would listen to them.

Sage advice, Doug! And thanks to everyone for the feedback! The visit is Friday. I’ll update everyone.