Anyone know what's going on between Levi Dalton and

GuildSomm / Hosemaster? (See Levi’s Twitter - he seems pissed)

Maybe he’s just angry at finally realizing how much time he’s wasted reading the hosemaster, in the hope there would be a funny bit scattered in.

Imagine you paid to go to an Adam Sandler movie…it’s like the feeling you have as you walk out after 115 minutes.

Good question. Levi seems pretty worked up about the hose mister. Taste is subjective but good god I’ve never been able to make it very far through one of his pieces. This one with the “dialogue” was indecipherable. I don’t get it.

I would have thought that anyone with the patience to make it through multiple articles by the Hosemaster would be incapable of losing their temper over just about anything. Though there are occasional funny bits or clever turns of phrase buried in the verbiage.

Disclaimer: I’m not on twitter so I don’t know what’s being said.

Well…it’s clear to me. You all are jealous & envious at Ron’s success as a satirist and his uncanny ability to create a clever turn of phrase!! [snort.gif]
It’s like when Mad Magazine first came out and all our parents got up in arms about the Decline of Western Civilization.
Tom

So much this.

I tried a couple times, but reading the Hosemaster is like watching Little Nicky in an infinite loop.

It seems like some inside baseball where Levi believes that Washam is overtly harsh on entities that stand away from Geoff Kruth’s Guildsomm organization. Who knows what the details are, but Levi and Geoff have had a very cordial relationship on the podcast and generally where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

My feelings on Ron Washam’s writing are the same as always. It isn’t funny, he masks his misogyny & snark as “satire” to avoid having to answer for the remarks honestly.

The Hose reads like it’s hour five at a wine tasting and a guy in a tommy Bahama shirt is crowding your table, won’t stop cracking “jokes” and then asks for a revisit on the 2014 because he sincerely thinks it might be pretty ok. I love that guy.

I’m not sure I would be that charitable.

From what I’ve seen there is humour in his writing, but it’s rather too often quite forced. With a good editor he’d have potential.

I don’t know who any of these personalities are, but I have read (or at least started) one or three Hosemaster pieces and found them feeble in the extreme. Pathetic really. I know Parker loves him.

Here’s the funny thing - Ron is such a nice, humble person in person . . .

I have found enjoyment in many of his pieces. Are they short and succinct? No. Could he use an editor? Of course. Does he go ‘too far’ sometimes with somewhat ‘personal attacks’ that may be tongue-in-cheek but may not? Definitely. But can and is he funny at times? Yep.

I have no idea of what the fuss is this time, but I’m sure it won’t be the last time that he ruffles feathers and may get slapped around for doing so.

I am assuming that “Ron” is the hosemaster, and I am also assuming that some connection to the CA wine scene, or at least deep familiarity with the wines, would be an aid in understanding and “appreciation” of his “humor.” I have neither, so I am perfectly willing to assume it is me, not him.

He takes a minor swap at Dalton in this post.

Ron also posted one of Dalton’s tweets on his left sidebar that looks like testimonials, which is pretty funny Ron did that.

I am apparently the only person who finds Ron’s writing incisive and funny. I’m okay with that.

I also love IDTT podcasts and listen to them whenever I have a rare moment to listen to anything.

No idea why they’re at odds, but a bit surprised at the invective hurled at Ron.

It’s not you.

Imagine you paid to go to an Adam Sandler movie…it’s like the feeling you have as you walk out after 115 minutes.

That’s pretty funny.

Hosemaster-esque as it were!

I don’t know guys - I like the Hosemaster. He goes on too long sometimes, and he grows tedious sometimes, but then I just stop reading. For the most part, he’s OK but more than that, it’s nice to see someone writing about wine who doesn’t think he has to be “serious” about it. So I overlook some of his faults.

Don’t know Levi but met him a few times and he seemed perfectly OK. Don’t follow Twitter so have no idea what’s up, but I imagine it will blow over.

THIS!! 100 TIMES THIS!!!

I met him last year at a wine writing symposium in Napa (he was the keynote speakers). He more or less assumes a character when he’s writing his blog. It’s all satire and meant in fun (does he go too far sometimes? possibly, but that’s not his intention). I only got a chance to chat with him one-on-one on the last day, and my only regret from the week-long symposium, was being too shy to approach him sooner.

Problem is that he is not funny.

It’s easy to be slightly misogynist and kind of a dick behind a keyboard. Takes courage and skill to do it in person [snort.gif]