TN: 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel

• 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (5/29/2017)
    Color: Light golden yellow
    Smell: White peach, lime, & chalk wrapped in a cloak of feminine and elegance
    Taste: Candied ginger, green apple, nectarine, and quince.
    Overall: This is all about the elegance. Intensely fruit-driven, this light-bodied, high acid, mineral, and focused wine is one for the ages…Extraordinary. A brilliant wine that’ going to have a long…long life. However, as beautiful as it is now. It wouldn’t be a waste or a shame to open one now.

Posted from CellarTracker

Catching the early window!!

I popped the WS Kab last night. A beautiful wine but definitely more in the Spat range.

Well, I had six and need room in the Eurocave. So it was an easy “sacrifice”. One I’d happily make again in good company.

flirtysmile

Only just, 82 or 85 Oechsle depending on the source…

I enjoyed one over the weekend as well. A great Kabinett. 2015 is very promising.

• 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (9/25/2021)
    I opened this up for my wife’s birthday weekend celebration. This wine is so unbelievably delicious…I mean, I know it will only get better with time…but right now this is damn near perfect. Now opened 2+ hours & the nose is soaring with scents of fresh-cut stone fruit, kiwi, & ocean air. The palate is awash with white tea, nectarines, and a finish that just keeps stretching out. It’s a good 2+ minutes later & I can still taste the wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Robert,

I doubt you will find too many true Kabinetts from a top site and producer in a ripe year like 2015. Also, you also need a lot of time for these wines to settle down and really show their stuff - Prum, esp. as they make very long-lived wines. In a young German wine from a top producer, vintage and site, you are going to find a lot of truly delicious fruit. But, the complexity and focus will only come with time.

He opened it four years ago.

I hope he’s finished bottle by now

1 Like

I’m still nursing it, so sweet . . . .

1 Like

Nope, not touching my 3 bottles no matter how much you try convincing me…

1 Like

I had the same problem with my 2001’s, they’re long gone. I expect this will follow the same path…My last bottle of '76 is waiting for the next Rieslingfeier.

1 Like

Damn. I have not opened a single bottle of my 2001 Prüm gold capsules yet.

Different strokes.

1 Like

A 750?

I have 3 halves of this. I hadn’t thought to go near it anytime soon. Sounds great!

You’re missing out. WS is drinking beautifully for an early taste. But I’m still saving most of my bottles until 2030+.

Not missing out at all. There’s 1995, 1996, etc. to drink. There’s also 1997, 1998 and 2001 regular Spätlese and Auslese. Not to mention 2002, which is an easier vintage compared to 2001, and better for earlier consumption before the 2001s. Oh, and the 1975s, and taking peeks at white capsule wines from 2003, 2004, etc.

And of course Kabinetts from the 1990s and early 2000s are doing quite well.

So no, not missing out.

I had the 2001 Wehlener a couple of months ago as a final treat in a 2019 Prum tasting. I think for most people in a very strong field, it ran off with the best wine there. It was a nice blend of fruit spices and petrol. Any longer, the fruit will begin to dissipate and the petrol character will get stronger. Both work, but I have no problem drinking my 2001s.