Getting dumped by Cabot

Okay, so it’s really a joke.

I got a text message from John Cabot a couple of days ago saying he won’t be buying fruit from me. Imagine that, someone not wanting MY fruit…the nerve!

Apparently John’s sending his oldest off to college this fall and is tightening​ his belt. I wish him nothing but the best.

I’ve ‘known’ John for many years from this wine board but only met him when I sold him fruit in 2010. I’ve enjoyed our annual meeting when he’d come pick up his fruit. By far one of the easiest going winemakers I’ve ever done business with, probably because he’s a grape grower too.

Most times he’d show up at the vineyard in the middle of the night and catch a couple of hours sleep before the crew would wake him by arriving to pick. He was always chipper and positive and would go out with the crew and pull leaves while the bins filled.

I’m sure we come from different social and political views points, but I enjoyed his company each harvest. Our mutual desire to produce a great bottle of wine was always front and center.

If there’s ever a customer that I’ll miss but continue to support and pound the drum for it’s my friend John Cabot.

John’s wines are great, and great values. Time to send an order his way.

He’s a love 'em and leave 'em type of guy.

Todd is still not over him.

This winery is a two hour drive from Eureka. Probably the only journalist he ever sees is Tom Stienstra, the wildlife, fishing and hunting writer for the Chronicle.

The website says they are the most northerly winery in California,but I believe there is one further north in Fort Jones. I drove by that winery five years ago, don t know if it is still operational.

I love John’s wines, especially when he needs to reduce inventory. Those kids grow up fast. I always say you know you are getting old when the kids are in college. I got a couple grand kids getting close. [wow.gif]

Thanks so much for the kind words Casey. It always does feel like a break up. I lost a vineyard(also in Anderson Valley) a couple years back and the grower didn’t handle it well at all. I was so upset. I felt like a jilted ex boyfriend who found out they got dumped through a friend. No email, no call, no communication as to why. I felt like I was in grade school again, asking around who it was that swooped in and stole my fruit…:wink:
So yes, my relationship with Anderson valley is coming to an end. I’ve decided to focus on Humboldt county exclusively. I will miss Casey showing up like clockwork before day break on pick days and especially pee wee, the best vineyard dog and Casey’s right hand companion.
Cheers and thanks for all the support.

You’ve done a great job with the Nash Mill, John. I was particularly taken with the 2010.

Same with your Humboldt wines, of course.

And great post, Casey

Wow, the kids are growing up fast. I always buy Cabot every year (this year was a little less due to a hiatus in wine buying). It’s one of the few in which I do so. Great folks and wines.

Nice Post Casey

Selling wine when one is so far off the grid cannot be easy.
John, have you considered opening up a tasting room in Hayfork or Sawyers Bar??

Southern Oregon is developing into a wine tourism location, Humbolt isn’t too far from Ashland. A lot of good wines from that part of the state. May resemble Walla Walla in the future although the weed producers are taking a toke on the good sites. [snort.gif]

I considered opening one in the Arcata Eureka area but felt there wasn’t enough wine tourism to justify the expense . Hayfork and Sawyer’s would likely be worse. Being so far out has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the advantages is that almost no one visits me so I get to focus on work without being distracted…:wink:

Southern Oregonians are very prideful of their wines. Not much room for a Cali boy in that mix, even though I am just over the hill from them.

John, I recall you have some exciting projects in the pipeline for Cabot. Want to share any of them with the board since we are on the topic?

Sparkling!!!

Play up the State of Jefferson.
Some of the best W2 wines come from the OR side of the border. You could just label yourself as Oregon South, just don’t say that part of Oregon is in Cal. In this day of fake-news who gives a rip. [wow.gif]
BTW, if you have any of that '10 Humbolt Syrah left, I could take a case off your hands even though I still have a case left. That is one enjoyable wine I share a lot. [cheers.gif]

I was kidding about Hayfork. In Sawyers Bar you might get my cousin trying to trade gold flakes for wine.Campovida has a tasting room in Oakland and it seems to be working well for them. Looking forward to trying your wine.

We do have a few new projects in the works. We started working with a vineyard in Petrolia, Humboldt County in 2015. We purchased and made a Pinot Noir, a Chardonnay, a Viognier and a full skin contact Viognier from this Lost Coast vineyard. This vineyard was planted in 1998 and is just three miles from the ocean. Look for these wines on our fall mailer this year.
Also, in 2015, I purchased some Pinot Noir from Elk Prairie vineyard in the fruit land ridge area in southern Humboldt. This too was planted in 1998 to the Martini clone of Pinot as well as Pommard, 115, and 777. Nik Stez from Woodenhead winery used to purchase the fruit and made some great wines from it.
Last but certainly not least, I made a sparkling wine from a very special block of old vine Chardonnay in Anderson Valley in 2014 and 2016(crop was too small in 15). These will be ready starting in a year or so.

Haha Mel. I was wondering why you mentioned two of the most out of the way places in CA. Hope you enjoy the wines you ordered, and thank you!

I think I’ll stick to Humboldt…:wink: And yes, I do have a bit of that left if you want to reload. Send me a pm when you’re ready.

Casey–Did John give you the old “it’s not you, it’s me” line on his way out? [snort.gif]

Bruce