Quick TN - 2015 Tablas Creek Terret Noir

I have to believe that Tablas is the only producer making this variety in the US, and may own the only acreage of it as well (actually, only 1/2 acre neener ). This variety is one of the 13 ‘allowed’ in Chateauneuf du Pape but is a very minor player indeed. It’s also planted elsewhere in the South of France, but from what I’ve read, it’s plantings have dwindled from about 1000 acres in 2000 to less than half of that by 2008 or so. It’s a large berried, rather thin skinned variety that produces a lighter style wine, reminding me quite a bit of Cinsault. And it’s a late ripening variety as well.

2015 was a ‘challenging’ year for Tablas yield wise, and there 1/2 acre yielded them only 60 cases of wine. The color is a brilliant light red, and it’s quite aromatic - strawberries, pomegranate, brambly raspberries, spice. Lighter bodies than most reds, it still retains some good acidity and just the slightest of tannins.

I understand why this is generally a blending variety and, like Cinsault, often used for producing roses. That said, it really is quite lovely.

This is one of the four wines that will be poured at a seminar entitled And Now For Something Completely Different at the upcoming Rhone Rangers tasting in SF on June 10. I’ll be taking part in that seminar pouring my 100% Marsanne as well. Hope to see some of you there perhaps?!?!

Cheers.

Thank you for posting this! Sounds like my kinda grape. I love some of these wild-berry, lighter reds.

Btw, that Marsanne of yours is great (as per my CT note).

If I lived near San Fran I’d definitely go to that event. I love unusual varietal wines, and Monty Python.

There are now 18 varieties allowed in CdP.

You are correct, as genetic mutations of varieties such as Grenache ( Grenache Blanc and Grenache Gris) and Clairette are now being counted as separate varieties.

Is Marselan one of the new ones? Bought a Marselan (Grenache/Cabernet Sauvignon hybrid) bottle amd looking forward to trying it.

That would be fun to try. There’s a place for light reds like that, but not much in the way of market awareness. Berserkers love the Arnot-Roberts Trousseau, for example. Light, but more depth and complexity than a typical rose. Perfect match for certain foods.

Marselan is not - the only ones ‘added’ were genetic mutations.

Where was the Marselan from? Curious to hear what it’s like.

Cheers!

Yep, not a huge market for these types of wines, but they certainly fill find their followers.

I did my first 100% Cinsault in 2015 and it was very much in this vein. Folks dug it so I am bottling another one this year, from the 2016 vintage, along with my first 100% Carignan done in that same lighter style. Definitely fun wines - and more versatile since you can serve them chilled if you’d like and it doesn’t ‘detract’ from the varietal character.

Cheers.

Domaine de Couron Marselan from Coteaux de l’Ardeche. Bought it at Winehound in S.B.

I’ll post a TN in the Unusual Varietals thread once I try it.

There goes the neighborhood.