What is this?

IMG_0298.JPG
So, I bought this bottle of Sauv Blanc at a retailer in Richmond two weeks ago and put it in the fridge after buying. Pulled it out this afternoon and this is what it looked like. The marketing person from the producer said it was because the wine is unfined and unfiltered. I’ve never seen anything like this in a wine bottle and I’m a little curious about what it actually is. I don’t think you can see it in the picture, but there is something organic looking growing on one of the pieces of shaved Parmesan floating around in there. I’m going to ake it back to the retailer and I gave the producer a somewhat fair chance to explain, so I thought I’d throw it out there for discussion. I’m not upset, just curious.

Sorry for the picture. Trying to figure out how to rotate it

Is this Bevan?

It doesn’t matter who. Just curious about what

I have experience with the Bevan SB and may be able to explain. Otherwise I can only wildly guess.

I got your back.
IMG_1701.JPG

Here is the worm thing growing in it
IMG_0299.JPG

There was a similar thing in a bunch of Scholium whites 8-10 years ago.Something to do with cold stabilization, as I recall. I can’t remember the exact explanation but I think it had to do with leaving bottles or barrels outside on a cold night. It was harmless. Someone here should be able to give a much better explanation.

They are tartrate crystals. Perfectly harmless. They occur when the wine hasn’t been cold stabilized for long enough.

You see, I was close. AND my kids say I have Alzheimers.

Maybe it got caught in the Sauza bottling line?

Who cares? this is a delicious Sauv Blanc from Bevan. Tartrate crystals won’t hurt. This is really “natural wine”. Maybe send a picture to Alice…

Odd looking tartrate crystals – particularly the darker, elongated thing at the bottom.

Agree, that looks weirdly dark for tartrate crystals. Was it hard and crunchy, or soft and sludgy like lees/hefe?

That’s the mezcal worm. [cheers.gif]

How did the worm get from the fish into the bottle? It was be signaling what wine and food pairing is ideal.

Would the explanation be anything other than tartrate crystals? Curious to hear.

My first reaction would certainly be tartrate crystals but I’ve never seen them take on this particular ‘look’.

Cheers.

It happens with every bottle of Bevan Sauv Blanc I’ve had. I think it is a combination of tartrates and lees. Unless it is carefully decanted, the lees will re-suspend and leave you with a cloudy wine.

I just feel more comfortable offering an opinion on a wine I’ve had on multiple occasions.

There’s more than tartaric crystals in that bottle and knowing it’s Bevan helped me with the poster via PM.

Agree, that looks weirdly dark for tartrate crystals. Was it hard and crunchy, or soft and sludgy like lees/hefe?

Are you assuming he ate it? Yum!