What Father's Day wine are you having?

This could mean what you’re drinking, what you gave to your Dad, or what you received for being a Dad.

Today I will either open a Sunier Fleurie, a Larner GSM or a Harrison Clarke Syrah. Haven’t decided yet!

What’s your Father’s Day wine?

A 2012 Rhys Alpine Chardonnay. This bottle is awesome after a previous one was a tad advanced.

2008 EMH ‘Black Cat’ Cabernet Sauvignon
IMG_5164.JPG
Mmm mmm, good.

Beer… forgot to grab something from the offsite.

2013 Herman Story Rose After Hours Grenache. And it was delicious.

2014 Delaplane Cellars (Delaplane, VA) Springlot

This is as classically Virginia as it gets: a Cab Franc-heavy Bordeaux blend that has a combination of moderate-and-definitely-not-California ripeness, a somewhat austere palate and certain lightness, but a beautiful and evocative Bordelaise nose. Made with a moderate Oak treatment and care taken not to overextract, it will never reach the level of concentration and ageability of higher end Bdx, still it has wonderful aromatics (strawberry, plum, cassis, earth, leather, stone) with ample acidity and a nice, if not long, finish.
These are never cheap, but it ain’t easy to grow grapes in Virginia either. Delaplane is a surprisingly good winery, a few miles from the beautifully classic Linden, without the pretentious nature of RdV and more consistent than Glen Manor. Their dry Vidal Blanc was great and right up a wine geek’s alley…

2015 AUBERT LAUREN
2008 CARTE BLANCHE CAB MAG
2000 BEHRENS & HITCHCOCK PETITE SIRAH MAG
2007 KARL LAWRENCE HERB LAMB RESERVE MAG

WITH STANDING RIB ROAST

Started with a 1978 Oderro Barolo, which was sadly decomposed. Settled for a 1995 Albert Morot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru La Bataillère Aux Vergelesses. Nice enough wine but too many words in the name.

2006 Montevetrano with grilled lamb chops and saffron risotto. Great pairing - brambly roses on the nose and a grippy, tannic finish of red fruit.

I’m only an expert in WINE CORKS (Bird-related Wine Corks! - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers)… geeky, I know, but…
My ol’ man is more sophisticated, so I researched “good Father’s Day wines” and landed on Shiraz.
The Best Wine For Father’s Day
He liked it! Said it was macho!

2005 Ridge Geyserville. In spite of the 105 degree heat, pretty darned good. But the best part of the day is having both our son and daughter home for dinner. That is worth more than any bottle of wine. Happy Father’s Day to all the Dad’s out there in WB-land!!

Thanks,
Ed

2013 Jean-Louis Dutraive (Domaine de la Grand’Cour) Fleurie Clos de la Grand’Cour Cuvée Vieilles Vignes.

Sorry Neal, I win, I’ve got the longer one.

Started with a 2015 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett.

About to finish up with a snifter of Chateau de Laubade Bas Armagnac XO.

It’s been a good day, couple of Bloody Mary’s over lunch with wood grilled pizza. Snuck in an awesome 55 mile ride beforehand with my buddies. Did some college financial planning with my son over lunch. Classic line from him, “Dad, I’m gonna need a lot of spending money”. True.

Nick (my son) got me tickets to Gator Land for the two of us next week while the wife is out of playing tennis with the girls. Love the gators! They have a new albino that I gotta check out.

First bottle of 2012 Rivers-Marie SC Pinot. How I wish I could buy a case of this wine every year. More importantly my oldest daughter is home from DC for a few weeks before heading off to Chicago to join her fiancé in Evanston who is attending Kellogg.

Is there anything called Disappointing Son?

My son practically destroyed our house last Thursday having an impromptu house party while my wife and I were at the beach. Does that qualify?

That would clearly be a 100% New American Oak, 30 day extended maceration, oak powdered Napa Cab called Boys Will Be Boys.

Or, the already existing, Fortunate Son, brought to you by Jason Woodbridge.

5F291D95-E0F1-44E3-B56B-0EC15F0932D1.jpg

Shift Key

I keep staring at my last bottle of this and deciding to hold off a little longer. Such a tasty wine. I have failed myself by not buying the last two vintages. What’s wrong with me?

101 degrees here so we started with a cold bottle of Campesino 2015 Isa Grenache Rose. Very refreshing.