TN: 1996 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut (France, Champagne)

• 1996 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (6/23/2017)
    Simply fantastic. Has a gentle whiff of toasty development along with notes of citrus blossom, brioche, lemon and flint. It is so direct in the mouth. There’s complexity and richness without excessive weight. It is fresh and energetic with incredible intensity and length. It is one of the greatest Champagnes ever made and still has so much in the tank.

Posted from CellarTracker

YES! Contrary to a recent thread about the 96 [and other older vintages] being a disaster in so many words, your experience is exactly what have I have had from numerous bottles over many years. I treasure the bottles I have remaining and as you state, theres a lot of life left. I`m happy you enjoy it as much as I have.

Big +1, Jeremy! A truly great Champagne with years of development ahead, and decades of life left. Love it!

Cheers,
Blair

this is my favorite champagne of all time.

[cheers.gif]

Mine too.

Definitely my favorite champagne of all time. Your note was spot on based on my experiences.

Blake,

Unless there is a separate thread, the period when Salon had issues was from '82-'90.

None of the bottles of '96 Salon that I’ve had - which is many - have been advanced.

I’ve only had Salon a few times but the last bottle I had a couple years ago was less than stellar, possibly a little advanced. The others were excellent and this has always been one of my favorites.

Me too! [drinkers.gif] One left…

Agreed Ed. . . 96 Salon is awesome. I love Krug, but when Salon is on, I will almost always take it over Krug.

R@y, you are correct and I stand corrected. it was 82-90 vintages and I had 96 on my mind when it was the 90 that I`ve always had good bottles of. Thanks for clarifying.

I will add that many have reviewed the 96` in the past few years and called it too young and way before its time. That has not been my experience even with bottles 5-7 years ago. Also, I lean toward preferring to drink a wine just prior to its peak than after if I do miss it.

I agree. While youthful, I’ve always thought the '96 Salon gave immense pleasure.

yes, amazing. What a great year for Champagne though Salon stands the top.

1988 Krug for best of all time but this one is a close second. The bracing acidity of the 96 Salon is heart stopping.

Truly one of the greatest Champagnes I have ever tasted.

Some of you guys are getting a bit carried away. [wink.gif]

It’ll do in a pinch.

:slight_smile:

Think 2008 Salon will be better? Only going to be bottled in maggies right?

looks like you have plenty of Salon. We’ll be right over.

I think the 96` Salon is called a killer bubbly by some.