Leonetti vs Realm

I got offers to join both lists this year. I think I didn’t respond to Realm’s Spring SV offerings as some combined function of sticker shock and sleep deprivation due to the development of febrile seizures in my little one-year-old. In June, I received the Leonetti offer to join, and also a very polite and professional telephone call from Realm asking, essentially, “WTF, did you get our email? Do we drop you or what? The fall release is coming.” Again, the call was super polite and sweet. Paralyzed in knowing I could only choose one, I delayed in responding to Leonetti, but said yes to keep me on the Realm list for the fall, figuring I could say yes to Leonetti too and then decide ultimately later.

Well, it’s July 1st. I just realized a couple minutes ago that I missed the Leonetti cut-off. Do I beg and plead for them to reconsider me, or do I stick with Realm.

Leonetti vs Realm, what say you? Any response greater than one word is unsolicited.

I think it’s all about The Bard, right?

I have only had one Leonetti. The 2011 Cabernet. About $100 off the shelf but was on sale for like $80. I was underwhelmed but I think there is not only a terroir difference but style difference. Rated it about an 87

I’m a huge Realm fan.

The Bard, falstaff and tempest are similar in cost to the leonetti I drank. Ok the Bard is at $105 now.

The only way for you to make this decision is to have tried the wines. Being on a list for a wine you don’t like… :frowning:

Scott,
I have not had Leonetti, so cannot speak to that.

BUT, I have and can with Realm.

Realm is the winery I make my most purchases, bottle wise, from (and I think the most $$). I buy most of their lineup. Something for everyone.

Plus, great customer service. Juan is super responsive.

But like Joe said, taste both and see what is a better wine and value for you.

Tom

Checking my notes, it seems I like Leonetti. All were tasted blind BTW. My unscientific memory though is that they are a bit to big and oaky for me.

The Sangiovese is not good. IMHO.

Leonetti is much easier to find at retail than Realm.

With apologies to Leonetti as I don’t have any experience with their wines, you can’t go wrong with Realm. Except Bard/Tempest/Falstaff are gateway drugs into the single vineyards which, while not inexpensive, are impossible to pass on come mailer time.

I had my first taste of realm last night: the 2013 Absurd. I don’t know if that’s representative, but it’s an over-ripe Cali cab, and despite a reasonable alcohol level on the bottle, it has a lot of heat on the nose. It’s not that it’s not enjoyable… I liked it within that style, but it lacked character and it seemed way too expensive. It seemed like a Turley zin, but a cabernet.

I don’t know anything about Leonetti, or whether the Absurd reflects Realm’s style in their other wines.

Also, without knowing you and your buying preferences, I’ll bring this up: if you’ve somehow forgotten about both of these mailers until their deadlines were past, you may not be interested in buying any of these. Maybe take a breather; there will be plenty of wine later too. Sorry to hear about your kid; hope he does well.

I would say Realm on the grounds that finding Realm at retail usually comes with a significant markup, especially the high scorers.
I’ve been dropping off mailers from wineries where I can snipe bottles at near release pricing.

Depends on what you like. Realm is a bigger style with Michel Rolland consulting. I haven’t ever bought one. I have a fair amount of Leonetti. But go for whatever you like.

I drink enough Leonetti to at least provide this; the wine when young is quite big and full of oak and richness which may or may not appeal to you.

However, the wine ages quite well and matures into a layered and softer wine more my style. I won’t quite equate it with aged California Cabernet as I think it lacks the structure California can provide but the wine is well made and pleasurable to consume.

I’ve had them going back to 2002 and have had the regular bottling and reserve approximately 50 times.

As someone points out above-Leonetti is more available at retail so I’d take the Realm
Allocation and source Leo at a shop.

Chris keep them a bit longer. Those from the 1990s are great right now.

I`m assuming you signed up for the Leonetti list a few years ago and just recently got the invite to join, correct? I visited Figgins Winery in May and was offered an opportunity to join Leonetti with a waiting list of 3-4 years.

BTW, please tell me more about Realm. I`m not even familiar with the label.

Just chiming in to add a data point: Leonetti’s Merlot is very nice with 5-10 years of age.

This. I’ve had both and both are delicious with a bit of time in the cellar. Personally, I prefer Realm, then again, my palate prefers Napa over WA.