Your consumption of Pink /rose wine?

Last year we really caught the rose’ bug. Maybe largely thanks to Il Poggionne’s sangiovese version which is a both a terrific bargain a $13, extremely versatile and very tasty. Its not the only version we drink but, if you find one you love for less than $15, why not make it the “house rose’”.

Our rose’ consumption by year since 2014 ( mix of mostly still & some sparkling)
2017 1st six months… 45 btls
2016 41 btls
2015 23 btls
2014 10
before that virtually zero accept for a few sparkling.

Better late to the party than not at all :slight_smile:

I don’t keep very good track as I generally only list a rosé once per bottling in Delectable but my Wife loves it and we drink at least 4 bottles a week once the weather gets halfway nice. We’re probably right there with you in the 40-50 bottle range so far this year.

I have a couple new ones on hand that I am excited to open. They are made by Mike Smith for SALT Vine. A Pinot and a Mourvedre/Grenache. He picked @ 21 brix. I tasted samples before bottling and was very impressed. Mikes first hipster wine.

I guess there are those who l-o-v-e rose, and those who don’t. Most of the rose I happen to like is quite expensive (around 30-60/bottle), so more like a special “treat” than something to guzzle by the pool, and more appropriate to have in winter when chasing the blues away. In a way, I sort of envy you guys who use it as intravenous fluid.

We buy 12 cases+ of Riotor a year. It’s pleasant and refreshing, and the price is right. When I analyze it, it really is an 87/88 point wine, when I drink it, I love it.

Already nearing 60 bottles this year, including still and sparkling. We drink it all year round, and find it’s an excellent tool for many jobs. Our favorite still roses (one lighter, one fuller bodied) are not expensive at all, and we do multiple case purchases of both every year.

About to open one tonight with seared octopus and homemade Romesco sauce, potato/mint/chorizo salad, sauteed zucchini, and tomato & fresh mozzarella for “dessert.”

Approximately 5-6 cases per year. Already gone through 3 this year, may need more.

I used to buy it by the case. This year, one bottle. I just completely lost the taste for it. Not sure why or how, but one day I just couldn’t stand it anymore.

Say it ain’t so!

What did you USED to purchase and what’s different - the style of roses that you’re now experiencing or? Curious to hear . . .

Cheers!

A bottle or two of Tempier and a bottle or two of Txakolina, that’s it. If the Tempier was under $30 I’d drink more rose :slight_smile:.

Bandols, Bedrock mostly. Maybe the problem was you Larry. [snort.gif] I found I could have a little more complexity in a summer red with your Aberration series.
If I put some thought to it, I think it really comes down to just wanting variety. I can’t drink case after case of the same thing. I used to, but not anymore. After seriously starting to collect in 2009, my tastes have changed looking at other things like Carignan (when is yours due?), Aglianico, the varying styles of Pinot, Cabernet, even Merlot/Cab franc.

See, that’s the dilemma: all the good ones are expensive, and the cheaper ones are merely quaffers. pileon

Michael,

There are so many different styles of rose this year that one wonders if one could truly be bored with them! From big and bold ones that could be mistaken for red wines to ones that are all acid to ones with varieties that no one has ever heard of, there’s something for everyone no? :slight_smile:

Cheers!

In the first 5 years our wine shop was open I don’t think we even sold 6 cases a year and probably a quarter of what we purchased wound up in the bargain bins. At the time we were buying half French and half CA Roses with name recognition or by recommendation. It wasn’t until we found a couple Roses we fell in love with that we started ordering ones that became popular with our customers. While I don’t pair Rose with food very often, I find them to be refreshing and enjoyable on the hotter days, mid 80’s to 90 degrees. Above 90 degrees, I want a cold SB.

I have to admit that many of today’s Roses look an awful lot like Pinot Noir from the 60’s and 70’s. Then again, most of today’s Pinots look like Syrah from that same era.

I probably drink 6-10 bottles of Rosé a year, not counting Rosé Champagne.

I drink buy at least 6-7 (a third of which is Tercero) cases per year and probably drink close to 10.

I’ve been on a wine hiatus for about 6+ months. I used to think when I decided to start drinking wine again, I would open a treasure from my cellar. Now that the weather is warm, I think there’s a far better change I’ll break my wine fast with a bottle of rose instead of some special bottle. It’s tough to beat an evening on the deck with good friends and some good roses. They’re also great for entree salads which is my go to meal in hot weather. It’s likely why roses have grown to somewhere between a third and half of what I drink in summer.

Of my 1,943 CT bottles consumed, my Rose’ consumption is 7.3%.

When I find a Rose’ I like, I buy it by the case. My current case purchases are Riotor and Minuty, both from France.

We’re closing in on 100 bottles YTD. Plowed thru a couple cases of Montes Cherub Rose of Syrah, a few cases of Bonfils Domaine de Cibadiès Pinot Noir Rosé, and now down to the last handful of bottles from several cases of Pink Pegau.

Yikes. Feel as though I am missing the boat when it comes to pink/rose wines. Own none don’t order it ever. Will have the occasional glass when at someone else’s house. Have done two single blind tastings of them over the past 8 years and still I have no love for them. I think I enjoy a heavier wine so I am fine with drinking cabs or port poolside.

About one case a year on average.