How Ripe Do You Like Your Wine?

How ripe/fuity do you like you like your wine?

• 1 More is better. 100 Parker points, please.
  • 2 Lots of flavour, but with balance.
  • 3 Wine is about freshness, but some fruit is welcome.
  • 4 Fruit is for the masses. I’m a hard-core AWFE. Acid and greenness is good.
  • 5 This is a meaningless, poorly constructed poll.

0 voters

Just a fun poll to find out what level of fruit WBers like in their wines. Obviously it’s simplistic and opinions may differ based on different wines styles. Sorry if it’s been done before - maybe it’s slowly changing over time - slowly moving towards 3/4?

I’m probably 3, possibly more towards 2 than 4 if anything.

I’ve tried to take an ‘average’ position. Okay the first one is unlikely, when the second one should cover even those moments when I look for a richer wine. 2-4 seems to cover my range of interests.

Ian, thanks for taking part! I guess the next question would be why would you contemplate choosing more than one? Why don’t you have one ‘level’ that you prefer?

Wine is made from (ripe) fruit - neeh?
Every grape starts with very high acidity and low fruit/sugar - it´s no art to make acidic wine, we have a lot of it in Germany.

Good to see option 5 is popular! :slight_smile:

It’s Monday. People who have to work today are cranky.

Depends on my mood. I’m a 2 most of the time, a 3 about 25% of the time. Rarely a 1 or a 4.

Like David, I’m a 2 most of the time and a 3 the rest. For me, it’s variety/specific, though.

Hi James
It could depend on mood, food or the weather. E.g. a richly fruited wine might be just what helps lift the mood when winter draws in and a hearty beef stew is on the menu, but on a hot summer’s day with baked fish & salad? Unlikely, but the Vinho Verde might very much appeal.

It’s a logical extension of why we don’t have a favourite wine that we prefer and hence it’s all we drink.

regards
Ian

I wonder if I had 5 style choices if most would have chosen the middle one. As it is it looks fairly normally distributed.

BTW I wonder who Alfert’s buddy is :stuck_out_tongue:

Mostly 3, with lots of 2s, too.

I figure it like this for wines I enjoy:
I generally prefer:
Vouvray over Savenierres
Bdx. over Napa Cab
N. Rhone and cooler climate Syrah over Aussie and Central Coast
red-fruited Pinot over blue/purple-fruited Pinot ('08 Burgs be my bag, baby)
non-malo Chard. over malo … but, then again, have great affinity for Arcadian’s Sleepy Hollow, which is fairly rich but quite acid-laden.
'10 German Riesling over nearly every other vintage I’ve tasted ('01 possible exception)
ripe Chinon over lean Chinon
'05 and '06 CdP over '07 and '08

so on, and so forth …

Fruit and freshness are not mutually exclusive.

I wouldn’t call a green, tart, reductive wine fresh.