Napa Trip!! Any rec's on what to look for from this itinerary?

Hi all, going on a trip with my wife the first week of August and hitting 9 new places we have never visited but have tasted almost all of them or have heard a lot on this board about or are members.
I am asking if there is anything that is a “can’t miss” at the wineries and/or restaurants we are going too. Want to try to maximize our enjoyment of our visits :slight_smile: any input is appreciated. We hit the Oxbow Market before each day and grab cheeses and snacks and meats to eat but usually try to find time to grab a burger at Gott’s at least one day.

First day---- Joseph Phelps, Pahlmeyer, Corison. Dinner at Redd

Second day— Chateau Montelena, EMH, Inglenook. Dinner at Torc

Third day— Blankiet Estate, Del Dotto (St. Helena Hwy. Location) Abreu. Dinner at Ad Hoc

We are doing tours at Montelena and Inglenook, the rest are tastings or up to the winery with what we do

Will report back on the trip and tasting notes when I get back!! Can’t wait!!

dump torc for mininashi

Great itinerary. I’m sure everyone will have an opinion, I really like what you’ve put together. Personal all-time absolute favorite Napa tasting is Joseph Phelps. No one in Napa or just about anywhere other than some personal friends can do a tasting like Joseph Phelps in a corporate kind of way.

Try to have lunch on the veranda at Auberge du Soleil after the Phelps tasting. And while I think three a day is a good number, Hall Rutherford is in the same area and worth the price of admission to see the cellar and tasting room. Bistro Jeanty is a personal favorite and would be my choice over family style at Ad Hoc.

I would make Del Blotto the last visit of the day. Assuming the tastings are the same as the Napa caves location. Abreu with Brad is an intimate, insightful visit. Best to show up without a big buzz.

Great lineup so enjoy!

Definitely do Del Blotto at the end of the day. You’ll leave in worse shape than when you arrived and your taste buds will be shot, so plan dinner accordingly. YMMV!

Those look good. In addition, based on what I hear over and over from Berserkers, you want to eat at Mustard’s if possible and visit Alpha Omega and Myriad for tastings.

Joe,

Thanks for posting. Actually heading out to Napa and Sonoma myself later in august and you have given me some good ideas. Just curious, do you buy from all the wineries your tasting with? Have noticed since the last time I have been out that tasting fees have risen considerably.

Regards,

Matt

Barry, I have eaten at Mustard’s and it was great just wanting to try different places :slight_smile: I have tasted both at AO and tasted with Mike through the Myriad wines both great experiences and tastings.

Matthew, just a member of Abreu, the others I have tasted all but Corison, EMH, Del Dotto, and Blankiet hence the reason I wanted to try and taste their wines since I do hear a lot of chatter on WB. Yes the tasting fees can be pretty steep in some places. Generally the price range has been $45-75 each. But some of these wines are quite expensive retail wise so I know they want to recoup the money lost and get it

If you are doing the standard bar tasting at del dotto, it won’t be that much wine. Just your typical 5ish pours.

+1 Bistro Jeanty. Pride and Chappellet if you’ve never been.

+2 Bistro Jeanty, I cancelled our Ad Hoc reservation for it and am so glad I did. Ditto on Auberge as well, such a nice view and with only 3 tastings you’ll have time for a late afternoon cocktail.

Ok I have to admit I looked at the menu for bistro jeanty and was underwhelmed. I had seen some positive reviews for it on the board previously so maybe I need to take a second look…edit: Underwhelmed is the wrong term. Maybe not totally my style? May just give it a try and see what happens…

Ad Hoc on fried chicken night was the best meal we had on our trip last month!

Chappellet is a lovely place to pack a lunch and sit outside and eat.

I love the deck of Auberge for a late afternoon cocktail.

I haven’t eaten at Miminashi, but Torc was probably the best restaurant in Napa when I lived there. Lots of other restaurants I’d skip (Mustard’s, Gott’s, Jeanty) to make sure I could eat there.

Also, Brasswood would be high on my list since they continue to make Tra Vigne’s signature mozzarella dish. My weekly off-day lunch was a Caesar Salad and Mozzarella al Minuto at the Tra Vigne bar…man I miss that.

Speaking of things I miss, the Lucky Pig at Solbar is pretty spectacular. And my frequent Lucky Pig partner is sorely missed.

I was right there with you, but so many people said “go”, including several wine makers, so i went for it and didn’t regret it…

I’ll further break your heart, Nolan. The new chef TOOK LUCKY PIG OFF THE MENU! Of course I and others have complained. I’ll check in on it this week.

Well if I can’t have it, no one can!

Solbar makes other very nice things. Merrill and Roy Piper (if you can fit in a visit with Roy somehow, I think that’d be something you’d not want to miss) took me there for dinner my last time out. Will definitely look forward to your notes, Joe.

Take lots of pics and admire Lady Sapphire, Blackie and Sir Peter Benjamin when you visit with Merrill. :wink: