Has anyone tried Cooper & Thief's red blend?

I’m (morbidly) curious to know what a 17% red blend aged in Bourbon barrels is like.
Cooper & Thief red blend.JPG

I’ve tried it. You need a chaser after taking a shot.

What sort of chaser do you recommend? It sounds like it should be self-chasing.

Food will suffice. The wine starts out big and jammy, and then ends with a hot, bourbon finish. Definitely an interesting take on wine. Fun party wine for people that are not into wine.

That sounds just as disgusting as I expected.

Sounds like a shot of Ravenswood followed by one of Jim Beam.

Though I am a huge fan of bourbon barrel-aged Stouts, I truly and honestly don’t believe it works well with wine.

I love bourbon barrels. They are perfect for aging bourbon.

And scotch, too!

I am not sure who produces this wine, but it is everywhere. Great marketing to say the least -

I was curious about how it tasted as well - I do love the packaging - who’s responsible?

Even used Bourbon barrels aren’t cheap, which makes it hard to figure out how they sell this for $20-$25. The label says it’s aged for three months in barrel, which is probably enough to pick up the Bourbon flavor. That allows them to rotate more wine through the barrels over the course of a year. Still, even that would be expensive compared to aging in steel or large oak tanks and adding oak chips.

That surprises me. Is there that much demand from Scotch and Rum producers? I would think they’d be quite cheap for someone who knows the right people, but I’ve never talked to anyone who has tried to buy some.

For a 100% new French oak wine (estimating a new barrel cost at $1200 which might be on the high side right now) adds $4/btl in costs. I can’t imagine a bourbon barrel costing that much.

I also don’t know if there’s any legality in claiming barrel aging if you’re actually using chips, which might be happening.

I would be pretty sure it would be illegal if it wasn’t actually aged in Bourbon barrels, as advertised.

Probably the explanation is that they use really cheap base red wine. After all, if Trader Joe’s can sell Two Buck Chuck for $3 a bottle, or whatever it is today, I guess you could take the same category of wine, add some barrel cost and still do well at $20+ a pop.

No surprise that prices are higher than they were 3-5 years ago for these used barrels with the number of craft beer and spirits producers exploding.

That said, my guess is that you can still findused ones for 200-300 Pretty easily, and I would guess that even very used ones still pack quite a bourbon punch.

Cheers.

Not sure about the legality claim - my guess is that this does not need to be factual and that the TTB does not verify.

It’s illegal:

27 CFR § 4.39 Prohibited practices.
(a)Statements on labels. Containers of wine, or any label on such containers, or any individual covering, carton, or other wrapper of such container, or any written, printed, graphic, or other matter accompanying such container to the consumer shall not contain:

(1) Any statement that is false or untrue in any particular, or that, irrespective of falsity, directly, or by ambiguity, omission, or inference, or by the addition of irrelevant, scientific or technical matter, tends to create a misleading impression.

John,

Ummm, yeah - you think anyone will regularly enforce these without a lot of complaints?

That’s a separate issue, but how many winemakers want to bring the ATF (or whatever it’s called these days) down on themselves?

Should we discuss truth in advertising when it comes.to abv listings? :wink: