Napa Itinerary 2.0

Here is our first draft of itinerary for our 10yr Anniversary trip to Napa in October. Still have some holes to fill in and reservation confirmations that will hopefully come closer to the date given the trip is in the middle of harvest/crush.

Day One - Thursday
Late Lunch at Bank Cafe (Duck Burger)
Arrival at hotel in St. Helena around 3pm
Dinner at Farmstead (confirmed)

Day Two - Friday
Tasting at Envy (confirmed)
Lunch at Sam’s Social Club
Tasting at Vincent Arroyo
Dinner at TFL (confirmed)

Day Three - Saturday
**This day is still very much up in the air given harvest season. I know there aren’t many stories of tasting at Harlan Estate, but after my last mailing list purchase I inquired and they said they’d be happy to host us if their schedule allows and to follow up 4-6 weeks out to confirm. Really hoping we can squeeze some time in with Alex and Graeme too.
Tasting at MACDONALD
Chicken Lunch at Addendum
Tasting at Harlan/Bond – guessing this is a stretch so need a backup plan in the event they can’t accommodate
Dinner at Torc

Day Four - Sunday
Tasting at Chappellet (confirmed)
Lunch TBD (possible picnic at the winery)
Afternoon Tasting - TBD (suggestions for something in general vicinity?)
Sunset Cocktail at Auberge du Soleil
Dinner at Redd-Wood, Cook Tavern, or Market?

Day Five - Monday
Hot Air Balloon Ride
Depart

Thoughts on what I’ve put together so far?
Other wineries that I have on my short list include Pride, Smith-Madrone, Young Inglewood, Paloma, Elizabeth Spencer, Heitz, Anderson’s Conn Valley. Trying to be sensible about the distances between wineries, which is why there are no Howell Mountain wineries listed.

I like that you haven’t scheduled more than 2 winery visits per day. Looks pretty good, I would just map things out to make sure you don’t too far to go between stops. By October the big crowds will be gone, but roads can still get busy, especially on weekends.

As someone who has been through a few anniversaries, I’d also suggest making sure your SO is on board with all the wine stops. I know my wife would be OK with a few, but would probably want a day off, maybe a spa day, a hike, some change of pace.

I think you read her mind! She just said she wants to make sure there is enough relaxation time at the hotel.

If you want to taste wine from an all-around good-guy, I’d try to track down Bob Egelhoff. He was the guest winemaker for Harlan in 1992 (I think) and he’s just plain, good people. It helps that his wines are good too. Prices aren’t crazy, and the wines are really nice. Clearly Napa…

Enjoy your stay in Napa!

Since you are staying up valley in St. Helena you might want to consider Two Birds One Stone for dinner

Sounds like a great trip, David. I am not sure what part of the month you are going, but the Safeway Open is at Silverado October 2nd through the 8th and getting through that portion of Napa will be a bit more difficult.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, we will be there after the Open, but thanks for the heads up!

Gott’s Roadside, fna Taylors Refresher www.gotts.com/menu

If you do a sunset cocktail at Auberge, maybe dinner at the bar at Meadowwood?

http://www.meadowood.com

David,

Interesting that you have scheduled a tasting at Vincent Arroyo. I have been an annual buyer for many years. It seems under the radar, as they are seldom mentioned here, ands notes/ratings are sparse on CellarTracker. Have you been before? How do you know about them?

Jeff,

I’ve actually never tried their wines but I was looking for a winery in Calistoga that seemed to offer good value and came across Vincent Arroyo in some older Napa thread on here. How do you like their wines? Any particular favorites?

Vincent Arroyo is most well known for Petite Sirah; however, I also enjoy his Cab Sauv. Pricing hasbeen very stable. I paid $35 for his base 2007 cabernet, the 2015 is selling for $40.

Since you’re east of the silverado and up in the mountains for this day, why not keep the theme and try one of the Chile Valley wineries such as Volker Eisele. Great rustic winery with a long history that makes a variety of cab, bxd, white and other wines. Get some lunch to-go from the Oakville Grocery and find a picnic spot somewhere at the Lake Hennessey park (or the winery as you mentioned).

Unless you are used to that level of eating, The day after the French Laundry may be one for relaxing and recovery. Doubt if you will want much for even lunch the next day.

Never heard of that one, but I will definitely give it a look. Thanks

Ha, hadn’t thought about that but you’re probably right!

Karen, I made a reservation here for mid September. One option was seating on the patio. Will it be too cold to eat on the patio that time of year?

Have you confirmed your tasting with Macdonald? I emailed them a month ago and was told that they don’t host tastings in Sep/Oct any more due to busy harvest.

Carter - Macdonald is not confirmed due to the unknown schedule around harvest. I put it on my itinerary as a placeholder for now!

Just about a month out from my trip. Here is version 2.0 with a few changes and more confirmed reservations. Need some help filling in a few blanks yet. Also, I need to find some time to squeeze in spa treatments to Alan Rath’s earlier point.

Day One - Thursday
Late Duck Burger Lunch at Bank Cafe
Arrival at Las Alcobas in St. Helena around 3pm
Dinner at Farmstead (confirmed)

Day Two - Friday (our actual 10yr anniversary)
Tasting at Envy (confirmed)
Lunch at Sam’s Social Club
Tasting at White Rock Vineyards (confirmed)
Dinner at TFL (confirmed)

Day Three - Saturday
Plan A:
Tasting at MACDONALD (placeholder; if available)
Chicken Lunch at Addendum
Tasting at Alpha Omega/Young Inglewood/Elizabeth Spencer/_____???
Dinner at Torc (confirmed)

Plan B:
Tasting at Pride Mountain
Lunch at ________???
Tasting at Smith-Madrone
Dinner at Torc (confirmed)

Day Four - Sunday
Tasting at Chappellet (confirmed)
Lunch at ________???
Afternoon Tasting at ________???
Sunset Cocktail at Auberge du Soleil (maybe)
Dinner at Acacia House (confirmed)

Day Five - Monday
Hot Air Balloon Ride (confirmed)
Depart