TN: 07 Raveneau Valmur

I just got back from a week in Europe–Lake Como (Bellagio), Paris, and London–with my wife and kids (ages 4 and 2). We were there to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Most of the trip was spent with the kids at trattorias/bistros drinking local wines (including lots of delicious Valtellina in Como area), but we did get out to dinner at The Ledbury in London for a proper anniversary celebration. Everything about the dining experience was perfect. That included the wine. The Ledbury’s list is exceptional and well-priced, and the 07 Raveneau Valmur we ordered–chosen for the wedding year, and the fact that Raveneau is my wife’s favorite wine–was memorable. I’m sure my impression was enhanced by the setting and occasion, but this was one of the better whites I’ve had in memory, and it will still improve. Fairly priced at 275gbp on the list.

2007 Raveneau Valmur
Sensational. This is still young, still a little tight, and still a bit oaky, but those are nits. This is next-level Chablis. I’ve mostly stopped buying Raveneau due to the price, but bottles like this remind me that Raveneau may well make the best wine on earth. This has everything. Super-expressive nose of citrus and minerals and an intensely mineral, full-bodied, hyper-concentrated palate of lemon cream and just the essence of exotic fruits. The best Raveneau wines are uniquely opulent, and this fits the bill. Serious and classy and grand cru to the core. To be clear, this has room for improvement as it becomes more open-knit and spherical, but it’s stellar now. It got better with air. This exceeded my high expectations. 95

07 Valmur is an excellent wine! Really not super chablis like in its concentration and ripeness.

I thought of your Allemand hoarding when I almost opted for the 98 Reynard for the same price.

98 Reynard is drinking incredible right now. [snort.gif]

I drank Allemand when I went to The Ledbury last year!

I remember buying Raveneau Valmur 09 at 35 Euros in Auxerre i 2011…

I also had the 07 at USD 80 at Rekondo in 2013. I am pretty amazed at what is considered a fair price…

35 euro has to be a damn good ex cellar price. recent vintages have cost me around 80 euro for grand cru

No doubt. The premier crus were 26 Euro, I bought a mixed case, all I could get.

You’re on a Chablis tear with this and the Dauvissat La Forest we had a few weeks back. My wife is still asking me when we’re going to drink more of that!

Come over to our place soon and we’ll open more Dauvissat.

Going to open a bottle tonight (along with a Clos), haven’t checked in on the Raveneau ‘07’ GC’s for a while…