New UPS Wine Shipping Restrictions...

Just got an e-mail from BlueDanube that UPS has tightened up their alcohol
shipping restrictions severely.
Anybody know what this is about?
Tom

Since around Thanksgiving last year. At least in NY, UPS killed alcohol shipping.

I’m 99% sure I received wine this past spring in NY that was delivered via UPS . The wine was purchased from the winery as a mailing list order.

NY seems to have been the issue:

https://www.bevsites.com/single-post/2016/11/16/Interstate-Shipping-Matters-for-Wine-Retailers (which I note contains a link to a thread on this forum about the issue!)

I’ve added UPS’s wine addendum as modified this Spring.
wine_addendum.pdf (222 KB)

Previous thread: New shipping laws - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

If you label as guns and ammunition, UPS will be fine.

Wineries in other states are allowed to ship their wine to NYS. Retailers are the ones being restricted.

Auction sites outside of New York are allowed, as the state would not want to trouble the big ones located here.

I’m guessing Victor was being ironical and commenting on the absurdity of various wine-shipping laws. It sure is a relief to know, though, that some firearms shipments must be trackable.

You would be surprised to learn how often people ship wine to Texas, Michigan, and Massachusetts in such manner. Truth can be ironic and absurd.

Why include Michigan? I’ve never had a problem with receiving my shipments.

Michigan’s beverage control and or politicians haven’t been leaned on enough by the major distributors to dedicate the resources to investigate shipping into the state. When Texas’s Rick Perry ran for office, TABC was pressed into action. They probably sent out 50 Cease and Desist orders per day.

Third party shippers have been a temporary answer but they are on the radar.

UPS sucks, who cares? Hopefully this will make more people use FedEx.

I haven’t had any problem here in New Mexico. Just got two shipments without an issue from UPS.

Some retailers refuse to ship to Michigan. K and L refused the last time I asked. Hi Times stopped shipping here.

also Flatiron and Flickinger no longer ship to Michigan, among others…at least pending the current litigation. A new Michigan law preventing out of state retailers from shipping into the state took effect in April.

Yeah, but the issue will apply to both sooner or later. They both have to comply with the same restrictive laws.

If UPS-shipped guns fail to protect Michigan consumers from out-of-state wines, in-state wine retailers will proudly pick up the slack.

FedEx sucks. Use UPS.