Robert Mondavi 2006 To-Kalon Fume Blanc Reserve

Pink grapefruit, honeydew, meyer lemon and a lactic quality on the nose transitions into a palate of citrus fruits, green apple, bright acidity and a hint of vanilla.

Not many dumb enough to forget about Sauv Blanc in their cellar…happy I am one of them as it’s one of my favorite wines when young.

Damn, that sounds delicious! I’ve only had one to-kalon reserve but it was awesome. Couple in my cellar now but I’d love to get my hands on more.

Thanks for the note!

Not dumb at all…these age very well. I’m still drinking on some 2000 Reserve, as well as I Blocks from the 90’s. Almost pulled a 99 I Block last night, but went for more Champagne because it’s been so damn HOT!

[cheers.gif]

There was mention on the WS board that the Sauvignon Blanc vines in Mondavi To Kalon (excepting I Block) are being ripped out after this harvest, likely to be replaced by Cabernet Sauvignon. A big loss to the white wine world, I believe.

As a contrarian, I have to point out my personal observation that the Reserve Fume Blanc is far, far from I-Block Sav Blanc.

Ahhh!! Good call Glenn. Completely missed that we weren’t talking I-Block here.

Quite right Doc! Those 70+yr old vines are magic! The reserve has semillon in it, as opposed to the 100% sb for the I block. The reserve drinks fantastic right out the gate…the I block needs a few years to open. Then it continues to put the pedal to the metal for many many years!