Oregon Chardonnay

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#1 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 5th, 2017, 7:38 pm

I've read several post recently about how good Oregon Chardonnay is these days. I'm looking for suggestions on producers and wines, leaner in style with good balance of acid and fruit. Love Chablis. Would like to pick up a couple of cases in advance of the fall. Maybe 6 each from 4 good wineries? Also, any insights on best vintages would be great. TIA.
Last edited by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld on September 5th, 2017, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2377
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Oregon Chardonnay

#2 Post by Steven Miller » September 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm

So many options, a few to get you started:

Arterberry Maresh
Brickhouse
Cameron
Crowley
Eyrie
Goodfellow
Johan
Walter Scott
Last edited by Steven Miller on September 5th, 2017, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tread lightly

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#3 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 5th, 2017, 7:53 pm

Steven Miller wrote:So many options, a few to get you started:
Thanks Steven. Do these differ much in style? I've had several of these on the Pinot side.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27407
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Oregon Chardonnay

#4 Post by Corey N. » September 5th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Goodfellow will never be mistaken for opulent (and that's a good thing).
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#5 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 5th, 2017, 7:58 pm

Corey N. wrote:Goodfellow will never be mistaken for opulent (and that's a good thing).
Thanks, that Pinot Gris they have looks interesting.

User avatar
PrestonS
Posts: 221
Joined: March 2nd, 2014, 5:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR.

Oregon Chardonnay

#6 Post by PrestonS » September 5th, 2017, 8:22 pm

While on the pricey side of domestic Chardonnay, check out Lingua Franca. I think what Larry Stone, Thomas Savre, Dominique Lafon, and team are doing is very compelling.
PrestonS

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#7 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 5th, 2017, 8:27 pm

PrestonS wrote:While on the pricey side of domestic Chardonnay, check out Lingua Franca. I think what Larry Stone, Thomas Savre, Dominique Lafon, and team are doing is very compelling.
. Thanks for the tip. That "Sisters" bottling is pricey at $90.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#8 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 5th, 2017, 8:29 pm

I just took a flier on a random 6-pack of Eyrie whites:

2016 Chasselas Doré
2014 Muscat Ottonel
2013 Melon de Bourgogne
2015 Chardonnay Estate
2015 Pinot gris Original Vines
2015 Pinot blanc Dundee Hills

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 6782
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Oregon Chardonnay

#9 Post by Jim Anderson » September 5th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
PrestonS wrote:While on the pricey side of domestic Chardonnay, check out Lingua Franca. I think what Larry Stone, Thomas Savre, Dominique Lafon, and team are doing is very compelling.
. Thanks for the tip. That "Sisters" bottling is pricey at $90.
Not to be a jerk, but why would you invest in the most expensive (or thereabouts) Chardonnay in Oregon made by a pack of people who have, at best, a budding relationship with Oregon? There are producers with intense knowledge of and relationships with the fruit of this area that offer far more compelling and older vine material than the newcomer in LF. This is a new thing in Oregon and I dislike it quite intensely. Ooh, someone who sold wine in restaurants in CA is "making" wine in Oregon? His must be the best. It's not. Not specifically trying to run down Larry and LF but I do get annoyed at the CA-fornication and faux-Burgundian stuff when people here have been figuring it out for years/decades and are, of course, doing it better and more soulfully.

Go buy some Cameron, J. Christopher, Walter Scott, etc. at 1/3rd-1/2 the price and be happy you did.
Last edited by Jim Anderson on September 5th, 2017, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#10 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 5th, 2017, 8:51 pm

I swear it had nothing to do with Jim's post - I was halfway through the order on another tab... Picked up a sixer from PGC:

2015 Durant Vineyard Chardonnay (2)
2015 Dry Muscat Ottonel
2016 Willamette Valley Sauvignon Blanc
2016 Dry Muscat Ottonel
2016 Estate Vineyard, Sauvignon Blanc

Looking forward to trying these.

User avatar
Nolan E
Posts: 2958
Joined: January 13th, 2011, 4:05 pm
Location: Willamette Valley

Oregon Chardonnay

#11 Post by Nolan E » September 5th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Scott Fitzgerald wrote:I just took a flier on a random 6-pack of Eyrie whites:

2016 Chasselas Doré
2014 Muscat Ottonel
2013 Melon de Bourgogne
2015 Chardonnay Estate
2015 Pinot gris Original Vines
2015 Pinot blanc Dundee Hills
You may enjoy the Chardonnay.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

User avatar
Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4643
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:13 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Oregon Chardonnay

#12 Post by Rick Allen » September 5th, 2017, 8:59 pm

My go to producers are Cameron, Goodfellow, Walter Scott, Eyrie, Brick House, Brittan, and Westrey. Of those, the Goodfellow, Walter Scott, and Brittan have a little more tension than the others.

From a vintage standpoint, if you like leaner wines, 2010 and 2012 were the best recent vintages. 2014 was a little fatter than the rest although a number of producers did quite well. Relatively speaking I think 2015 is a better vintage than 2014.

User avatar
P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1780
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Location: El Cerrito CA

Oregon Chardonnay

#13 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » September 5th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Steven Miller wrote:So many options, a few to get you started:

Arterberry Maresh
Brickhouse
Cameron
Crowley
Eyrie
Johan
Walter Scott
From your requirements you should try Vincent Wines. He has two 2016 chards on offer right now. The prices are very reasonable too.
Cheers,
Paul

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#14 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 5th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Thanks Rick. Looks like Walter Scott chards are all sold out on their website.

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5483
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

Oregon Chardonnay

#15 Post by Jason Hagen » September 5th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Rick Allen wrote:My go to producers are Cameron, Goodfellow, Walter Scott, Eyrie, Brick House, Brittan, and Westrey. Of those, the Goodfellow, Walter Scott, and Brittan have a little more tension than the others.

From a vintage standpoint, if you like leaner wines, 2010 and 2012 were the best recent vintages. 2014 was a little fatter than the rest although a number of producers did quite well. Relatively speaking I think 2015 is a better vintage than 2014.
Certainly less experience than Rick but agree 100% other than I have not yet had a chance to taste Brittan's Chard. Brittan's pinot was a little over the top for me but it was young.

I buy Goodfellow (and Matello), Cameron, sometimes Brick House, sometimes Eyrie, sometimes Westrey, Evesham Wood (sick bargain) and St Innocent. I promised to not add any new Oregon producers to my cellar, until I tasted Walter Scott. They promptly got added.

I look forward to some notes!

Jason

User avatar
Matt Mauldin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1368
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 3:32 pm
Location: Goleta, CA

Oregon Chardonnay

#16 Post by Matt Mauldin » September 5th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Big Table Farm is another good producer to add to this mix. Really nice OR Chardonnay.
ITB

User avatar
PrestonS
Posts: 221
Joined: March 2nd, 2014, 5:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR.

Oregon Chardonnay

#17 Post by PrestonS » September 5th, 2017, 10:57 pm

Jim Anderson wrote:
Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
PrestonS wrote:While on the pricey side of domestic Chardonnay, check out Lingua Franca. I think what Larry Stone, Thomas Savre, Dominique Lafon, and team are doing is very compelling.
. Thanks for the tip. That "Sisters" bottling is pricey at $90.
Not to be a jerk but why would you invest in the most expensive (or thereabouts) Chardonnay in Oregon made by a pack of people who have, at best, a budding relationship with Oregon. There are producers with intense knowledge of and relationships with the fruit of this area that offer far more compelling and older vine material than the newcomer in LF? This is a new thing in Oregon and I dislike it quite intensely. Ooh, someone who sold wine in restaurants in CA is "making" wine in Oregon? His must be the best. It's not. Not specifically trying to run down Larry and LF but I do get annoyed at the CA-fornication and faux-Burgundian stuff when people here have been figuring it out for years/decades and are, of course, doing it better and more soulfully.

Go but some Cameron, J. Christopher, Walter Scott, etc. at 1/3rd-1/2 the price and be happy you did.
Next you're going to demand a wall be built at the OR/CA border. :P
PrestonS

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 6782
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Oregon Chardonnay

#18 Post by Jim Anderson » September 5th, 2017, 11:07 pm

I'm more of a tariff/border tax kind of guy!
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Scott Everson
Posts: 496
Joined: November 14th, 2014, 12:25 am
Location: People's Republic of Portland

Oregon Chardonnay

#19 Post by Scott Everson » September 6th, 2017, 1:50 am

My daily drinker (and perhaps one of my favorite wines of all time) is Cameron Willamette Valley Chardonnay. When guests come over I open a WV Chardonnay and a Cameron Dundee Hills Chardonnay and let guests compare and contrast, then blend the two to play around. I should have bought more of the 2014 Cameron Reserve Chardonnay, I'd recommend that a lot if you can find it anywhere. The 'lesser' Cameron bottlings are so good I honestly haven't even worked up to the Clos Electrique or Abbey Ridge (but picked up a mag of the liner &elsen special due to be released later this fall). I took a whiff of La Combe Verte Chardonnay earlier this year and told the woman with blond curly hair at Walter Scott that it smelled like Cameron, and she seemed to take that as a real compliment.

In the spirit of Lingua Franca, and of course my favorite punching bag Seth Morgan Long, I plan to introduce my first ever extra limited release of Chardonnay later this year --the 2015 Everson Oregon Chardonnay. Production will be approximately one case. Really it will be Cameron 2016 WV Chardonnay, but I'll peel off the label or use a Sharpee to draw over JP's label. Cost will be $400 per bottle, not including shipping. PM me now to reserve your exclusive place in Oregon Chardonnay history, the most expensive Oregon Chardonnay I believe ever to be released.

Scott Everson
Posts: 496
Joined: November 14th, 2014, 12:25 am
Location: People's Republic of Portland

Oregon Chardonnay

#20 Post by Scott Everson » September 6th, 2017, 11:57 am

Well, the response to Everson Chardonnay, Oregon's most expensive Chardonnay ever, has been overwhelming. But, before I can even think about allocations, I have to nail down my artwork. I've been working with local, sustainable, vegan, free-range, non-binary, artisanal homeless street artists on concepts, but our first attempt didn't go so well. I honestly spelled Oregon incorrectly, so we have some work to do. I apologize for the delays. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to post this damn picture correctly.
Attachments
IMG_0415.JPG

User avatar
Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1790
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Oregon Chardonnay

#21 Post by Brandon R » September 6th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Not to sound like a broken record: Goodfellow. Absolutely.

Also, based on your descriptions, I'd recommend Morgen Long (Chardonnay-only label, good guy, great wines).
B. Redman

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#22 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 6th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Scott Everson wrote:Well, the response to Everson Chardonnay, Oregon's most expensive Chardonnay ever, has been overwhelming. But, before I can even think about allocations, I have to nail down my artwork. I've been working with local, sustainable, vegan, free-range, non-binary, artisanal homeless street artists on concepts, but our first attempt didn't go so well. I honestly spelled Oregon incorrectly, so we have some work to do. I apologize for the delays. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to post this damn picture correctly.
Scott, please add me to your mailing list and wine club, the "1 case per quarter" option.

Lex S
Posts: 87
Joined: September 5th, 2017, 3:38 pm
Location: Southern California

Oregon Chardonnay

#23 Post by Lex S » September 6th, 2017, 1:43 pm

I think the Elk Cove Chardonnay from their Goodrich Vineyard is excellent. I had some last year, but I can't remember if it was the 2014 that they're currently selling on their website.
S a v k o

Scott Everson
Posts: 496
Joined: November 14th, 2014, 12:25 am
Location: People's Republic of Portland

Oregon Chardonnay

#24 Post by Scott Everson » September 6th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Mailing list, this is getting complicated, especially since I recently received an email from Yahoo informing me that come end of September, YahooMail will no longer be supported on my 2009 iPad.

Running a winery is hard.

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1705
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Oregon Chardonnay

#25 Post by lleichtman » September 6th, 2017, 2:38 pm

The number of really good Oregon Chardonnays is in the too many to count range now. Oregon is making the best Chardonnays in the US right now. My top would be Brickhouse, Cameron, Matello, Walter Scott, when I can get it, and Ayoub, when you can get it.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#26 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 6th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Thanks for all the input. My goal is to try as many of these as possible. I maybe should have changed the OP to "Oregon White Wines" as I was pleasantly surprised at how many varieties are made up there as I checked out several of the websites. Just goes to show that I need to step out more on my wine exploration.

Ian Dorin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4756
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:39 pm
Location: Springfield, NJ

Oregon Chardonnay

#27 Post by Ian Dorin » September 6th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Brandon R wrote:Not to sound like a broken record: Goodfellow. Absolutely.

Also, based on your descriptions, I'd recommend Morgen Long (Chardonnay-only label, good guy, great wines).
I'm stunned that only one person mentioned Morgen Long. As you noted, great guy, and arguably the best Chardonnay I've had from the US under $100. I can't wait to see what his wines do with age, these should be incredible with 10+ years in the bottle.

(kudos to you Brandon!)
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

User avatar
R Nanda
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 575
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:29 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Oregon Chardonnay

#28 Post by R Nanda » September 6th, 2017, 4:16 pm

My favorites have all been named already: Eyrie (which age amazingly), Walter Scott, Goodfellow, Arteberry Maresh, Cameron, Brickhouse and for a screaming bargain, Vincent Wine Co.
r i c h
instagram: rnvin

Bob Paul
Posts: 311
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Oregon Chardonnay

#29 Post by Bob Paul » September 6th, 2017, 6:29 pm

Agreed that Cameron and Crowley are both great. Big Table Farm as well.

I haven't had the Morgen Long yet, but am looking forward to trying it.

User avatar
Monte Mast
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 670
Joined: February 28th, 2010, 8:25 pm
Location: Tomball, Texas

Oregon Chardonnay

#30 Post by Monte Mast » September 6th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Rich Nanda wrote:My favorites have all been named already: Eyrie (which age amazingly), Walter Scott, Goodfellow, Arteberry Maresh, Cameron, Brickhouse and for a screaming bargain, Vincent Wine Co.
A huge +1 on the Vincent recommendation. His Chardonnay's are as close to anything I have tasted to a Chablis. They have that crispness that I love about young Chablis. Not the same as, but more like cousins. Plus you can't beat the price.

Here are the prices from the pre-release email that just closed:

2016 Vincent Chardonnay Willamette Valley - retail $23, pre-release $18
2016 Vincent Chardonnay Ribbon Ridge - retail $29, pre-release $22

If there is a better value in Oregon Chardonnay, I want to know about it.

Since you intimated about other Oregon whites, here are a few.

I am not a big fan of Pinot Gris. It just doesn't do much for me. Matello is one of the few I like.

Instead of Pinot Gris, I prefer Pinot Blanc. Check out Helioterra, St. Innocent and Vincent.

John Grochau makes a 70% Pinot Blanc/30% Melon de Bourgogne blend named Pearl that is very tasty.

And if you want to really go off the rails try Helioterra's Arneis. I'm addicted to the stuff. Anne makes some of the most interesting whites in Oregon.

If you get to the north side of Houston, let me know and we can pull a few bottles.
Monte Mast

"Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

Scott Everson
Posts: 496
Joined: November 14th, 2014, 12:25 am
Location: People's Republic of Portland

Oregon Chardonnay

#31 Post by Scott Everson » September 6th, 2017, 8:45 pm

The best deal in Oregon is Cameron WV Chardonnay for ~$13 or less/bottle with case discount. Cameron Dundee Hills Chardonnay can be had for ~$17/ bottle with case discount. That's the best deal in Oregon. Then maybe Vincent.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2830
Joined: October 7th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Oregon Chardonnay

#32 Post by dsGriswold » September 6th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Let's keep the noise down on Vincent. He may just decide to raise prices. I said it before, his chard was an eye opener for me and I buy it for msGris so she doesn't grouse too much about the reds. I hardly get a taste, so I split chard and gamay 50/50 this fall. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2012
Joined: February 11th, 2009, 11:40 am
Location: Portland, OR

Oregon Chardonnay

#33 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » September 6th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Lots of good recommendations here, myself excluded. Very cool to see Oregon Chardonnay getting lots of love. It's truly a special thing, the story of the old plant material here being bad is wrong, and the newer plant material I think is only adding to the mix. Taste as widely as you can and decide for yourself.
Vincent - ITB

User avatar
Andy Steinman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 647
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 3:56 am
Location: Salem, OR

Oregon Chardonnay

#34 Post by Andy Steinman » September 7th, 2017, 8:41 am

Lots of love coming from the press as well:

The new issue of Wine & Spirits features an article about the emergence of Oregon Chardonnay while the recent Wine Advocate had many kind words as well.
ITB: Partner, Walter Scott Wines, Le Pigeon, Canard, and DigitalPour; Managing Director Metis NW

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2140
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Oregon Chardonnay

#35 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » September 7th, 2017, 10:54 am

Scott Everson wrote:My daily drinker (and perhaps one of my favorite wines of all time) is Cameron Willamette Valley Chardonnay. When guests come over I open a WV Chardonnay and a Cameron Dundee Hills Chardonnay and let guests compare and contrast, then blend the two to play around. I should have bought more of the 2014 Cameron Reserve Chardonnay, I'd recommend that a lot if you can find it anywhere. The 'lesser' Cameron bottlings are so good I honestly haven't even worked up to the Clos Electrique or Abbey Ridge (but picked up a mag of the liner &elsen special due to be released later this fall). I took a whiff of La Combe Verte Chardonnay earlier this year and told the woman with blond curly hair at Walter Scott that it smelled like Cameron, and she seemed to take that as a real compliment.

In the spirit of Lingua Franca, and of course my favorite punching bag Seth Morgan Long, I plan to introduce my first ever extra limited release of Chardonnay later this year --the 2015 Everson Oregon Chardonnay. Production will be approximately one case. Really it will be Cameron 2016 WV Chardonnay, but I'll peel off the label or use a Sharpee to draw over JP's label. Cost will be $400 per bottle, not including shipping. PM me now to reserve your exclusive place in Oregon Chardonnay history, the most expensive Oregon Chardonnay I believe ever to be released.
Put me down for 1/8th of a bottle....
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2140
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Oregon Chardonnay

#36 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » September 7th, 2017, 11:11 am

Jim Anderson wrote:
Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
PrestonS wrote:While on the pricey side of domestic Chardonnay, check out Lingua Franca. I think what Larry Stone, Thomas Savre, Dominique Lafon, and team are doing is very compelling.
. Thanks for the tip. That "Sisters" bottling is pricey at $90.
Not to be a jerk, but why would you invest in the most expensive (or thereabouts) Chardonnay in Oregon made by a pack of people who have, at best, a budding relationship with Oregon? There are producers with intense knowledge of and relationships with the fruit of this area that offer far more compelling and older vine material than the newcomer in LF. This is a new thing in Oregon and I dislike it quite intensely. Ooh, someone who sold wine in restaurants in CA is "making" wine in Oregon? His must be the best. It's not. Not specifically trying to run down Larry and LF but I do get annoyed at the CA-fornication and faux-Burgundian stuff when people here have been figuring it out for years/decades and are, of course, doing it better and more soulfully.



Go buy some Cameron, J. Christopher, Walter Scott, etc. at 1/3rd-1/2 the price and be happy you did.
+1 on this.

Maybe the most disturbing thing in my craft today is the idea that someone who doesn't live here can bring anything more than technique to the cellar.

Oregon vineyards will give a winemaker absolutely stunning fruit to work with but understanding the smallest nuances and quirks of the vineyards, aligning yourself to the qualities and needs of individual blocks of fruit is a life's work. Some vintages are easier to do good work without tremendous experience(my own 2002 wines are a good example) but consumers will be far more likely to find soulful, consistently well crafted wines, from the likes of Belle Pente, Eyrie, Bethel Heights, Walter Scott, Cameron, or Brickhouse than from a well known transplant. There's a reason Michel Rolland makes the type of wines he's famous for(the kind where technique trumps terroir).
I think Thomas Savre is doing excellent work at Lingua Franca, he's dedicated, intelligent, and he lives here now and is as immersed in educating himself as anyone, but there's always a curve. Most of the rest of transplants just don't hold up for me. Evening Land Pinot Noirs have, IMO, underperformed at the Berserker throw down after IPNC for several years in a row. Remembering the Seven Springs wines fromEvesham Wood, Patricia Green, and Bethel Heights, the idea that a Seven Springs Pinot Noir would be in the bottom half of that tasting 4 years in a row is unthinkable for me...
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#37 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 7th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Just requested some of the 2014 Goodfellow Durant Vineyard Chardonnay. Looks like they have a little left!

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 327
Joined: October 26th, 2015, 11:13 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#38 Post by Brandon J. » September 7th, 2017, 8:20 pm

I think Oregon chard is a far better bargain than our pinots. I love our pinot, but it's not too difficult to find similar quality wine for cheaper in other parts of the world (Germany for example) but with the chards, I think they can compete with some of the worlds best chardonnay.

I love the Franca folks but please don't buy their wine. They don't need your money and as others have said, there are FAR better deals to be had. The only bottle of chard worth that kind of money is the Arterberry.

Good luck and don't buy too much! :)
John sen

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 6782
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Oregon Chardonnay

#39 Post by Jim Anderson » September 7th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Brandon J. wrote:I think Oregon chard is a far better bargain than our pinots. I love our pinot, but it's not too difficult to find similar quality wine for cheaper in other parts of the world (Germany for example) but with the chards, I think they can compete with some of the worlds best chardonnay.
Not agreeing here. There are good German Pinots. Yes. Easy to find? Not so much.Know what you're getting? Less so. For under $50 Oregon is really, really difficult to beat for Pinot Noir.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 327
Joined: October 26th, 2015, 11:13 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#40 Post by Brandon J. » September 7th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Jim Anderson wrote:
Brandon J. wrote:I think Oregon chard is a far better bargain than our pinots. I love our pinot, but it's not too difficult to find similar quality wine for cheaper in other parts of the world (Germany for example) but with the chards, I think they can compete with some of the worlds best chardonnay.
Not agreeing here. There are good German Pinots. Yes. Easy to find? Not so much.Know what you're getting? Less so. For under $50 Oregon is really, really difficult to beat for Pinot Noir.
I didn't mean "not too difficult" to translate to "easy".

I guess since I've been looking, I've found a fair amount of German and French pinot that's under $50. Not sure I get what you mean by not knowing what you're getting. If you buy on a whim, then sure? There's some OK wines, like any other region.
John sen

User avatar
Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1790
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Oregon Chardonnay

#41 Post by Brandon R » September 8th, 2017, 8:16 am

Ian Dorin wrote:
Brandon R wrote:Not to sound like a broken record: Goodfellow. Absolutely.

Also, based on your descriptions, I'd recommend Morgen Long (Chardonnay-only label, good guy, great wines).
I'm stunned that only one person mentioned Morgen Long. As you noted, great guy, and arguably the best Chardonnay I've had from the US under $100. I can't wait to see what his wines do with age, these should be incredible with 10+ years in the bottle.

(kudos to you Brandon!)
[cheers.gif]
Seth was very gracious to take a lot of time one-on-one with lil' old me a few months back, and his wines, top to bottom, were awesome.
B. Redman

User avatar
JoeD
Posts: 1303
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 12:39 pm
Location: No VA

Oregon Chardonnay

#42 Post by JoeD » September 8th, 2017, 9:21 am

Been following this thread, thank to all those who have chimed in. Can anyone recommend a good OR
retailer where I can get a good selection of the above shipped east?
-J0E D@BR0WSK1

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2377
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Oregon Chardonnay

#43 Post by Steven Miller » September 8th, 2017, 9:58 am

A few options.

Vinopolis has a good online shop. Click on NW Chardonnay, at the moment all Oregon (with 1 exception) with a number of the producers mentioned above available now.

http://www.accountwizard.com/clients/sh ... iswineshop

Sec too has a great selection right now:

https://www.secwines.com/results.asp?re ... ge=&price=

L&E is a bit sparse at the moment:

http://wineshop.linerandelsen.com/orego ... y-c24.aspx
tread lightly

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5528
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Oregon Chardonnay

#44 Post by Doug Schulman » September 8th, 2017, 11:09 am

Jim Anderson wrote:
Brandon J. wrote:I think Oregon chard is a far better bargain than our pinots. I love our pinot, but it's not too difficult to find similar quality wine for cheaper in other parts of the world (Germany for example) but with the chards, I think they can compete with some of the worlds best chardonnay.
Not agreeing here. There are good German Pinots. Yes. Easy to find? Not so much.Know what you're getting? Less so. For under $50 Oregon is really, really difficult to beat for Pinot Noir.
A bit of thread drift, but I agree with Jim here, and I think Germany is about the most ridiculous example possible (okay, Switzerland would be more ridiculous, but hyperbole aside, you get my point). I've tasted a fair amount of Spatburgunder over the past few years. I've liked some of the wines, some quite a bit, but I haven't thought a single one was well valued compared to Oregon. Some Burgundies are comparable at similar prices, but I wouldn't say there's better value there either.

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19993
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Oregon Chardonnay

#45 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » September 8th, 2017, 11:22 am

One of these trips to Portland I have to get with Seth and taste what he's doing.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

User avatar
John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 912
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Portland OR

Oregon Chardonnay

#46 Post by John Osburn » September 8th, 2017, 12:15 pm

JoeD wrote:Been following this thread, thank to all those who have chimed in. Can anyone recommend a good OR
retailer where I can get a good selection of the above shipped east?
Oregon Wines on Broadway can source and ship for you.

http://www.oregonwinesonbroadway.com/

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 327
Joined: October 26th, 2015, 11:13 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#47 Post by Brandon J. » September 8th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Doug Schulman wrote:
Jim Anderson wrote:
Brandon J. wrote:I think Oregon chard is a far better bargain than our pinots. I love our pinot, but it's not too difficult to find similar quality wine for cheaper in other parts of the world (Germany for example) but with the chards, I think they can compete with some of the worlds best chardonnay.
Not agreeing here. There are good German Pinots. Yes. Easy to find? Not so much.Know what you're getting? Less so. For under $50 Oregon is really, really difficult to beat for Pinot Noir.
A bit of thread drift, but I agree with Jim here, and I think Germany is about the most ridiculous example possible (okay, Switzerland would be more ridiculous, but hyperbole aside, you get my point). I've tasted a fair amount of Spatburgunder over the past few years. I've liked some of the wines, some quite a bit, but I haven't thought a single one was well valued compared to Oregon. Some Burgundies are comparable at similar prices, but I wouldn't say there's better value there either.
Guess you're trying different wine. Germany is the next closest stylistically to Oregon. There's NZ and South America but they're not stylistically similar to Oregon nor accessible in the market.

If you want less of a "crazy" comparison, Loire, Jura, Alsace.

Anyway,

Have many folks had older Hamacher Chards? I always overlook his wines but yet often find myself loving some of the ones I've had. I'm not terribly familiar with how his wines hold up. They seem like they'd hold up well.
John sen

briangl
Posts: 23
Joined: February 8th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Oregon Chardonnay

#48 Post by briangl » September 11th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Some of my favorites are Walter Scott, Hamacher, Anderson Family, Seven of Hearts.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Oregon Chardonnay

#49 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » October 25th, 2017, 2:31 pm

My 2014 Goodfellow Durant chard just delivered today to offsite. Hoping I can get over there this weekend to pull a bottle.

User avatar
K. R. Baker
Posts: 829
Joined: October 10th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Oregon Chardonnay

#50 Post by K. R. Baker » October 25th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Scott Fitzgerald wrote:My 2014 Goodfellow Durant chard just delivered today to offsite. Hoping I can get over there this weekend to pull a bottle.
You won't be disappointed. Crazy QPR in this bottle.
Kevin Baker

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”