Teach me something useful about Rioja.

I have been buying Rioja and sticking it in my cellar for about 10 years since all the old rioja I have tasted is outstanding. However, I have been very patient and opened very few of the bottles I have bought. I haven’t liked very much that was less than 15 years old. “They” told me that 2001 was a great year, so I bought some Muga Torre Muga, Prado Enea and Seleccion Especial, Faustino and La Rioja Alta 904 from 2001, but I do not even remember who “they” were.

So tell me something about style differences, are the various Muga bottlings just successively better versions of the same wine or is there a fundamental difference, or anything else I ought to know.

I also have a 2007 double magnum bottle of CUNE Rioja Riserva that I bought for who knows why. What is the chance that it will be ready in the next 15-20 years, which is about when I expect my palate to keel over?

I also have the 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 Cayuse Impulsivo Tempranillo if that matters. I opened a 2008 with Juan Palomar at Leo’s a few years ago but it was too tight. When he gets over his current medical issues, maybe we’ll look in on it again together.

I will try to help. I find the information I have collected doesn’t always match up with my tasting experience.

The Muga Reserva and Prado Enea are the traditional wines in the portfolio while the Torre and Seleccion Especial are more modern. The Torre has a large percentage of new small oak. I’m not sure how much of that is American.

Prado Eneas that I have had lately from 04 and 05 have been ripe high alcohol messes. My friends say they need more time. I’m not sure.

The Rioja Alta 904s are usually beautiful and ethereal. The Faustino 1 is usually very traditional but uninspiring. CVNE Riserva is more modern and approachable early. At least I found the 2009 to be that way.

I know you didn’t ask about Lopez de Heredia but I will offer that, they are my favorite wines from the region. Both the Tondonia 2001 red and white are drinking beautifully right now. I have had less success with the Bosconia though. Also the Rosatos are fantastic.

I don’t know any more than you, but my talking points would be

• PJ’s in NYC has one of the better national selections. Also K&L is making good efforts here with many lesser known direct imports.
  • In panel style / blind tastings, the traditional ones don’t get the credit they should. I think they are generally better than they show in that setting.
  • I haven’t read any good books on the region, but supposedly Luis Guitterez’s 2011 publication is well regarded. The books I’ve read have been basic and unhelpful, more like tour guides than wine related.
  • GregT’s posts on the subject are worth tracking down here on WB.
  • I liked 2001 as a vintage, but don’t have many left now. Perhaps you might look for whatever 2010’s are still in the market, or soon to be released. For my tastes they have broader drinking window compared to others regions I enjoy.
  • I like the traditional ones with dinner, and some of the newer wave ones by themselves, although that latter camp is a shrinking shelf here. The SO doesn’t like No. Rhones, but quite likes the vanilla, dill flavors of Rioja, so they are good midweek wines for us.
  • Older crianza levels wines seem bizarrely expensive when one (rarely) sees them in the aftermarket.
  • Rioja makes me crave this…

Hey Jay,

I think the best book out there The Finest Wines of Rioja and Northwest Spain by Luis Gutierrez, Victor de la Serna, and Jesus Baraquin. They raise the argument in the book that the Rioja of yesteryear is only now starting to be made again but with newer technology… mainly cleanliness.

Apparently in the mid 70’s there was a massive run to plant more vines and produce quantity over quality, so land that was once deemed unfit for grapes but used for other crops was now planted with new vineyards and clones etc… The result was a surge in commercial wines, thin and green to then be followed in the 90s by the huge over oaked monsters. The 2000’s saw a general shift against the excesses of the past, and well I think right now there’s greater diversity in style and also generally speaking better quality overall.

The styles out there I would categorize, and these are my own specific views, as traditionalist, in between, modernist, and well Lopez de Heredia is on a category of its own but within the traditionalist camp.

With regards to CVNE I’ve seen that the wines from today are not even close to the ones from the 50’s 60’s and 70’s but the Imperial Gran Reservas and Reservas from the 90s seem to be similar to the old ones (94 GR is amazing right now), whereas Vina Real for me is amazing but pre 1990s. As to Muga the Prado Enea is the most traditional in their portfolio, and the Torre Muga is more new oak and polished.

As for the modern producers most are making amazing wines, but I think there hasn’t been enough of a track record to really see how they age in the long run. Bodegas Roda is one of them, they’re definitely modern but their first commercial vintage was 1992, I’ve tasted through some of the old Roda I at the bodega and they seem to be revealing that classic traditional profile but in a more refined matter, but time will tell (coincidentally 94, 95, 96 are in sweet spot now but will age longer).

I’ve also seen this with some of the wines from Remirez de Ganuza, the Reserva 94 and 96 are revealing great savory meaty notes with some dill and spices. Their Trasnocho is much more modern (think Torre Muga) and the first vintage was 2001 and well time will tell how those age, the oldest I’ve had is 05 and it’s still quite primary. The modern styled white they’re making is great for tapas, they just released a small amount of blanco reserva.

La Rioja Alta is very traditional with the Viña Ardanza being a bit more plump and fruitier due to a higher percentage of garnacha from Rioja Baja (now called Rioja Oriental). The 890 is textbook old school Rioja, just had a 1995 the other day and it was very complex and reminded me a lot of the stuff from the 70s just a tad bit cleaner. I don’t think any of their 2001, be it 890 or 904 or even Ardanza is anywhere near ready.

Lopez de Heredia for me is the pinnacle of old school Rioja, I really don’t think they’ve changed anything and the wines are almost exactly to how they used to be in the past. The reservas from the 90’s are ready to drink now and will last many more years. The 2001 Tondonia is amazing right now but I think the best is yet to come. The whites are out of this world, the Tondonia Blanco 98 and 01 reserva are drinking well right now with some rodaballo (turbot) in copious amounts of olive oil and garlic.

Hope this helps!

I’m a fan of the traditional Muga bottling. The base Domaine is a perrenial great value. The modern-styled Torre Muga - hmm, how do I kindly say this without using the word grotesque - well, it’s the Caymus of Rioja.

La Rioja Alta has made some solid wines in 2001, 04, 05 and 07, but they could be so much better with less new American oak and less time in it. The fruit material is so fine, so elegant, that soaking it in such pungent oak, well let’s just saying I’m buying less and less of it these days.

Hi Jay
What is it about the younger wines that aren’t exciting? Is it overt vanillan/coconut oak? I certainly find that intrusive in many younger wines.

Of the ones you have listed, the one that jumps out as being mature and interesting currently is the Faustino 1. It’s lighter than most, but the 2001 has enough about it to be very enjoyable and fine value for the money. It’s the wine I instinctively think about at the moment, if someone is wondering if they like older wines, as it shows enough development to showcase what comes through on older wines.

The others probably still have a few years to get to the same point of development, though others will have more experience than me.

Don’t be afraid to experiment with a little age on a basic crianza or reserva, as these can sometimes surprise (and rather quicker than the gran reservas).

Regards
Ian

1 Like

David Cooper is spot on. Also, La Rioja Alta is great, though not as good as 904.

I actually really enjoy M. De Riscal Reserva and Gran Reserva. I don’t think they get enough recognition.

For that CVNE double mag, i assume it’s not the basic cuvée but the imperial?

I think you’re better off trading it for a couple bottles of a 94 Lopez de heredia gran reserva… can still find it on shelves and it’s ready and rearing to go (but you can also hold for 20 years easy).

I might have been one of the “theys” Jay. The first thing I can say is that that the Cayuse is a completely different beast - in blind tastings with first class Rioja it always comes in last. Not that they can’t do a good job in the US, but there isn’t much to talk about yet. Kind of like Nebbiolo - eventually they’ll get it, but right now it’s a work in progress.

Back in the 1970s after Franco there was a lot of upheaval. Generational shifts combined with political shifts and economic growth to cause big changes. People started to look at what was happening elsewhere in the world and they started incorporating new ideas. Remember in the 1970s Bordeaux, Tuscany, Austria, the Rhone, and other places were making efforts to improve their wines, and the US had come on the scene. The “traditional” Rioja model was for the people to sell their grapes to the bodega that would vinify and age them. But there was a nascent movement to do more estate bottling.

The best example would be CVNE - they had the Imperial, but they decided to do an estate bottling called Contino, which is a beautiful vineyard in a protected area surrounded by hills and which by reputation has the best Graciano in the area, and then Contino decided to do a single vineyard bottling called Viña Del Olivo, because there’s an old olive tree in the middle of the vineyard.

That’s happened with the other houses too.

Separately, there was a lot of criticism of the wines. I remember reading articles in magazines like Decanter and they were calling the wines old and tired. So people started trying to emulate places like Napa and Australia, incorporating more barrique aging, picking riper, and most importantly, releasing earlier. Next door to each other are Tondonia and Roda, and they’re as different as can be. Both have neatly trained vines, but walking into one is like walking into a chip fab facility or hospital - it’s spotless, while walking into the other is like walking into your grandpa’s old garage where he’s been keeping stuff for fifty years. Remirez de Ganuza is another one - he made a point of only taking the shoulders of the bunches, cutting off the lower parts of the bunches that received marginally less sunlight.

Were those distinctions important? One of the most polemical writers was Gerry Dawes and he hated the so-called “modern” wines, but had to eat crow when he tasted some of those that had aged. The Tempranillo grape is what mattered, not the stylistic approach, and while they were still distinguishable, old Tempranillo turned out to be pretty good whatever style it had been made in. And to his credit, Dawes acknowledged as much.

Muga made the Torre Muga for the same reason - it was going to be the modern wine. But it ages quite nicely. When I mentioned to him a number of years ago that I’d kept some, Isaac Muga said on no - drink it young because otherwise it will just be like a Gran Reserva. As if that’s a bad thing.

The “modern” ones would probably include Finca Allende, Finca Valpiedra, Artadi, Remírez de Ganuza, Roda, Sierra Cantabria, Benjamin Romeo, and Señorío de San Vicente, among others. But there’s less talk these days about “modern” vs “traditional”. Now there are different discussions.

They’ve recently allowed a few new grapes to be added. Also, people are doing varietal bottlings of grapes that you never saw before. You can get single-varietal Garnacha, Mazuelo, and Graciano, as well as the “traditional” blend of mostly Tempranillo with small percentages of those.

The other thing you’re seeing more of is vineyard designations. Rioja is commonly thought of as three regions - Rioja Alta, Rioja Alavesa, and Rioja Baja. In the past, Rioja Baja, because it was warmer, would be used for younger wines that weren’t necessarily aged. Muga for example, had Garnacha growing in Rioja Baja, which they’d mix with their Tempranillo from Rioja Alavesa, sort of like mixing grapes from Calistoga with some from Carneros.

But these days, people don’t want to do that, they want to create single-vineyard designated wines. Are those going to be better wines? Not at all. But they’ll be more costly and fashionable.

For me, the main advantage of Tempranillo, and why I started drinking it years ago, is that there is no other grape that is as good at every stage of its life, once it becomes wine. It’s good young, middle aged, and greatly aged. And I think it outlives anything except Nebbiolo.

2 Likes

My understanding (& tasting experience suggests) is that only the Torre Muga is is modern. I believe the Seleccion Especial is - just that - specially selected grapes or juice as distinguished from the Reserva. The latter, I have heard is marketed as Crianza in Spain even though it meets the standards for Reserva.

Thanks for posting, Jay. Thanks to everyone for the replies. I’ve been meaning to drink a little more rioja and was going to put on a dinner when the weather gets cooler.

Something I’ve wondered is how big of a gap there is between the LdH Reservas and Gran Reservas. Are the latter worth the premium?

Also, any thoughts on the Pecina wines? Do people put them in the modern or traditional camp? Seems to be some debate about that on CT.

My experience is more with the GRs, but the LdH Riservas age well also. I’d say the GR should get a premium. but not huge (25%?)

I think of Pecina as pretty traditional.

Something I’ve wondered is how big of a gap there is between the LdH Reservas and Gran Reservas. Are the latter worth the premium?

Worth it is your call. They both age well.

That may be on paper, but all of the seleccion especial i have had have been grotesquely oaked and modern wines. Remind me of some of the poorly handled washington temperanillo. The only muga worth buying are the $18 reserva and the prado enea.

I see plenty of commentary that they’ve turned the wines around immensely (they used to be quite humdrum), but I’ve yet to try them post turnaround.

Tried for the first time recently. Impressed for the price, and I’d lean more trad than modern based on that bottle.

GregT, thanks for the effort and highly informative post.

Thank you all for the info! quick question how does marques de murrieta’s wines compare? How about their whites? Saw WA’s raving review for one of their whites…

Rio Oja became Rioja.

Substantial enough in difference to justify the higher pricing of the GRs, imho.

As far as I can recall, the GRs are about 75% more than the Reserva in pricing at the Bodega and I’m not averse to that difference. Especially as the difference is not as magnified as when purchased in the US because, and as I try to recall, we are talking Euro 32/33 (‘91 GRs) versus Euro 19 (‘01 Reserva) when both were the latest releases sold in the winery’s tasting room during my last visit.

On a similar vintage basis, although already good to drink (in most cases) the Reserva, relative to the GR, always appear to be at least a notch lower in heft and intensity.

While I like the Reserva versions, and they do age, they don’t seem like they will age to the same high level as the GRs. Over the recent years, I’ve had a few GRs from the 60’s and 70’s that are almost always impressive enough, but unfortunately can’t recall having had a memorable Reserva version from the same era.

Note that the winery touts the GRs as being produced only during vintages are deemed excellent (2 or 3 in a decade), whereas the Reserva are produced more frequently. Also, as I read, while the GRs are definitely from grapes within the stated vintage, they may add juice from other vintages to make their Reserva. Needless to say, the length of time that the winery ages the GRs is simply quite daunting.

If I may use the Bordeaux analogy, in some ways there is almost the 2nd wine feel to the Reserva (although not that wide a difference when compared to Bordeaux 1st/2nd wines).