I may have to throw in the towel on Coravin.

i was an early adopter… the minute RP posted that original video i got on the waiting list. I thought it was the greatest thing ever. I marked my bottles and went back to them six month later. Still perfect. I was all-in… then i started realizing that i was having very frequently failures with connecting new gas capsules. The instructions said “hand tight plus a quarter turn” or something like that. I learned the hard way once you “back off” the turn all the gas shoots out in 2 seconds. I’d say i was having about a 1 out of 6 capsules total loss. Oh well, i dealt with it. One time when i was ordering more capsules i said to the woman “yeah it sucks sometimes i lost a whole gas in one shot” looking for an Amazon-like response like “oh that’s terrible let me send you a couple for free”. But i got crickets.

So anyway. I just pushed down the needle on a 2003 Foley claret and i got dribbles out, that’s odd, i could have sworn i put a new capsule in a week ago and hadnt used it much since… maybe i forgot. So i put a new capsule in (here we go… crap shoot did i turn it enough?). Looks good. okay i got first glass out. 15 minutes later got second glass out. all good. Came back an hour late for 3rd glass and NADA… gas totally gone. W… T… F.

My device is version 1.0 of this gizmo. Has anybody else had similar functionality issues with the gas? Tonight just iced it for me… brand new capsule device failure. If they havent made the twisting on of capsules a better/reliable situation i feel like i cannot continue with this device. I dont have complaints about needles or the reliability of what kind of wines can be gassed or not. I just want the darn gas capsule plastic handle to work.

I think the plastic threads get stretched out or warped and to compensate you have to tighten a little harder each time until you hit the point where you can’t tighten further and it’s not properly seated.

It absolutely sounds like it could be that. great guess. So what do i do? Try to get a freebie new model? I’m really hoping more motivated people from this board have escalated this issue and gotten some sort of result from it. Or am i just the victim of early adoptor. I really dont want to waste another capsule on this thing.

I’ve had similar experiences. Solved the problem by wrapping one layer of plumber’s tape around the threads.

Coravin might be willing to send/sell you a new bottom cup, other than that it’s just another example of the imperfections of the device.

Maybe the newer versions don’t have the same issues as the original model, which I’m assuming you’re using.

We had had the same thing happen with our 1.0 . I thought it was something I was doing but found out otherwise. I contacted Coravin and they informed me I wasn’t the first to have issues and they upgraded the cup and would replace mine with a new one and send a couple free replacement cartridges for my troubles. We got the new one and no problems (so far)

buy a Pungo. Works better and great customer service.

I have never understood why folks just don’t drink the whole bottle. [snort.gif]

Nice fix. [cheers.gif]

I also was an early adopter and had a problem with my capsules immediately emptying. It was apparent it was the device and not the capsules after three in a row failed, so I called Coravin and they sent me a replacement device. The replacement device has not had the issue once. I’d reach out to them to explain it’s clearly a device issue and you need a replacement (on them).

Had two devices replaced free by Coravin for similar issues. Looks like the third device is the charm.

I called them this afternoon… they were extremely cordial, the fessed up design issue. They suggested i try to keep clean the threads where the capsule mates with the base. They are sending the newer designed capsule sleeve and a 3-pack of gas for free.

thank you all so very much for your insight.

I love mine still. Fortunately I haven’t had to go through any of the issues others have. One thing that is suggested is to purge the line before using. That would allow you to get an idea of argon flow before puncturing the cork.

+1 on Pungo.

I’ve been experiencing the exact same leakage issues but with the newer Model 2. At the time Coravin Customer Service said they’d send me a new, redesigned capsule cup plus 3 replacement argon capsules to compensate for my loss but they never did…very frustrating! I’m glad I came across this post. It reminded me of something I had almost forgotten about and prompted me to send them another email earlier today to follow up on this unresolved matter. I’ll keep you posted on the response I get.

I had a similar issue with Pungo (internal seal leaking) so it’s not immune either. That said, the company went out of their way to make me happy. In the end I’m not so big on the dispenser systems and have found that a shot of argon before leaving in the fridge gives me one day of acceptable preservation.

The plastic threaded proprietary capsule cap is just a bad design, IMO

Silly me! I had one one loved it had similiar problems and wound up stopping using it and then over time discarding it as it was a gift from a former girlfriend). Never thought to contact support on the matter. STUPID ME!!! [truce.gif]

I just got a Coravin a few weeks ago and I’m having no issues with the gas. This device has changed my life. I dont have to kill a whole bottle in one sitting anymore.

I have had very good luck with the Eurocave Wine Art product. It is greatly improved over the original model. It works very well,and doesn’t use any inert gases. It preserves by maintaining a vacuum, using (I think) the technology used in CPAP devices. Cheaper, less hassle, and it works.