Andersons Conn Valley Vineyards Cabernet

I am curious about this cabernet and another one that is Cab Franc and Merlot called Right Bank.
I came onto the 2013 Estate Reserve Cab via Last Bottle (Love those folks), and got 3 of the 13’s.
But a local guy I frequent had a 12 Estate Reserve and also a 12 Right Bank.
His last two and sold them both to me for a deal.
50 each.
As that is what I paid for the 13 Estate Res from LB, (49 actually) He said to try the 12 Cab before the right bank.

So, I am, and it is quite delightful indeed!

I am just curious what others think about this winery and the Right Bank.

Would this be a good stop on a tour of Napa.

Curious how folks compare this with comparably priced Napa Cab’s.

Cheers!

I used to be a club member a few years back and always enjoyed the cave tastings. The winery is in a remote location and they take you up a hill in a golf cart to the cave. My favorite is the Eloge. The QPR of their wines is good overall, in my opinion.

I quit the club because they changed the terms. I signed up with no minimums and fully customized my shipment. I also did most of my buying at their member events. They tried to get me to commit to a minimum of their choosing so I chose to leave. I haven’t missed it because the membership didn’t offer any significant advantages in pricing or access, but they did change the terms again and brought back customization.

I have always enjoyed their wines and have the 94 Estate Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon upright for this weekend sometime. Post HBD celebration for my wife.

I really like the cab and the Eloge, and they both age very well. I have a few vintages of the Right Bank in the cellar but am letting them age a bit, so can’t comment on them.

Glenn, I’m looking forward to your impressions on the '94 cab.

I’ve had their wines off / on over the years. They last very well and, for my tastes, have a bit of European sensibility to their efforts.

I guess in the context of North Coast BDX blends/varietals, $50 is the cover charge nowadays.

Never knew about the T&C of their club, but I don’t buy anything from producers directly. They have never seemed difficult to find to me, so don’t see the advantage to going direct.

I have had all of them in multiple vintages. All of them age fantastically. They have a more old school winemaking sensibility to them. The right bank always drinks the best early to me and is a great wine mimicking right bank blends from Bordeaux. The cab and cab reserves are usually tightly wound up in the first few years and need time to open. The eloge is a traditional left bank Bordeaux blend that i think is the most polished of all the wines. The recent eloge’s have been pretty approachable young. The 2015 Cab was offered to me for a ridiculous cheap price but is no where ready to be drank yet. (Note- I’m a somm at a restaurant). So I don’t know if the 15 Cab will be priced lower than previous vintages

Good producer. We have been drinking the Estate reserve Cab, Right Bank and a bit of Eloge since the 90 vintage at least. Always classic mountain fruit profile. Here is a note from the 02 Cab (we still have a few of these left, I will have to have one soon) 4/30/2014 - I WROTE: (Edit) 93 Points
Brief decant, Tobacco, plum and a touch of leather on the nose. Full bodied beautiful plum, earth and licorice. Good mountain structure and great fruit. No rush, still a little young but a really nice wine. 93 points

I have enjoyed this wine more than a case or two’s worth since its release. It is old school, delicious Cab Sav that has not demonstrated serious decline yet, though I suspect apex showings were perhaps five or so years ago. I’ll give up-to-date details once we enjoy this bottle.

I have a couple more I think.

Really enjoyed the 12 estate reserve last night but did get the impression that given a couple few more years it would be even better.
Had it with rare + grilled rib eye so it was nice.
My first thought after getting the 3 13’s from LB is that I would wait a couple years.
After last night, I think I’ll make that a few years.

I wonder if my curiosity will get the better of me and try that 12 right bank in the next year??

Think I should wait?

Why not? Give a decant and go!

I do not think that is the '15 reserve cab, has been released. The '15 reserve cab should come out next spring. They recently made a 2015 cabernet (not reserve designate) for $40 or less to try to fill the gap of a "“great $40 cab”. I think the case offer brought it down to about $33 maybe? I have not tried it; anyone? Re the OP, the portfolio of cab abd cab blends is very good and offers good qpr, imo. And, unusually for DTC, they run sales and case value pricing that really makes it worthwhile

Good to hear. 1994 is our anniversary year. If it’s still worth tracking down, I’ll keep an eye out for one to celebrate our next anniversary or maybe for #25, in two years.

Yes, you are right. Im only referring to the regular Cabernet from 2015, not the Reserve.

A*W- have you had it? I plan to include some in my Rt Bank order in about a month, really wondering what they have with this wine…

I still remember having that wine in 1997 at The Wine Club in Santa Ana. I think it was $28 at the time. What a KILLER wine that was!

Good wine and “The Todd” is quite a character and entrepreneur .
We had him at one of our wine dinners a few years back with his Ghost Horse line up.

Yes I had it. It’s extremely primary right now. Lots of austere blue/black fruit, graphite, tannins. I was told '15 was an excellent vintage for them (and a lot of others). It doesn’t drink good now, but it will in years to come.

Now I’m sorry I opened the 12 estate reserve.
I did get the feeling that this would be so much better in 2 or 3 more years .

Sorry to bring this up but, i noticed a lot of folks got some of the 13 cab estate reserve on LB and another site. I then looked at the reviews at Cellartracker and am a bit concerned.
Just curious what others think about these comments.

Thanks

Anderson’s CV needs time. The 2005 Reserve is drinking really well right now and a recent 2007 Right Bank was in a very good place. I know the Eloge is supposed to be more forward but I have found it needs as much, if not more, time than the Reserve.