Catastrophic Fires In Napa and Sonoma

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Paul Luckin

#1001 Post by Paul Luckin »

We picked up an ozone generator for the house, and power just got restored this morning. Hoping it will alleviate the smoke odor. Rain tomorrow will help as well, at least in terms of opening doors/windows and getting some fresh air in the place.
Last edited by Paul Luckin on October 18th, 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1002 Post by Peter Simpson »

Mods, how about splitting out the posts by and about Merrill into a separate thread titled: "All About Merrill"

Then everyone can be happy!
Last edited by Peter Simpson on October 18th, 2017, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Peter

andy velebil

#1003 Post by andy velebil »

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Steve Gautier wrote:I was also thinking that rugs and furniture would need to be cleaned. I wasn’t sure how hard to was to get the smoke smell out of the house in general.
Imagine, if you will, a warehouse full of padded fabric bags, and cardboard wine shipped boxes...that’s the Wine Check warehouse. Smoke-soaked throughout (like a sleeping bag after camping, times 8,000) but our insurance has a smoke emelioration company with some machines in there now - hope it helps.

I feel for all those who will be cleaning ash out of their homes for months to come
Oh ouch, that's horrible news. I could see how a building packed with absorbent materials would be way different than a closed up house. Hopefully that company can eradicate the smell.
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1004 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

I have no idea why this is so fascinating to so many.

I stayed with a man, Paul Battaglia, whom I met through the Berserker Board. He is no longer a Berserker member.

His family - his lovely lady, his child, his hamsters - welcomed me into his home. I came with a vocal kitten who was under stress. I went to swim practice to see his kid's team swim. I sat with his neighbors and friends, as part of the family. I went to the Pumpkin Patch with Paul and his friends and family. New friends - girls 6 and 9 years old - drew pictures of my family, based on photos. They are my treasures.

Craig Gleason, whom I know and lives near Paul, came and joined us one night. They are wonderful people who supported me. They have wine cellars, and they made wonderful food. And yes, there was Dom and other libations.

I will not apologize for having friendships with wonderful people. I received numerous offers, for that homeless Saturday night, and chose Paul based on mutual friends. I had never met him! His lady must have wondered what was going on. She welcomed me with open arms. They all did. On a good day, I am a handful.

Hang me.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#1005 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

andy velebil wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Steve Gautier wrote:I was also thinking that rugs and furniture would need to be cleaned. I wasn’t sure how hard to was to get the smoke smell out of the house in general.
Imagine, if you will, a warehouse full of padded fabric bags, and cardboard wine shipped boxes...that’s the Wine Check warehouse. Smoke-soaked throughout (like a sleeping bag after camping, times 8,000) but our insurance has a smoke emelioration company with some machines in there now - hope it helps.

I feel for all those who will be cleaning ash out of their homes for months to come
Oh ouch, that's horrible news. I could see how a building packed with absorbent materials would be way different than a closed up house. Hopefully that company can eradicate the smell.
It sure can't last long, I would imagine - a sleeping bag loses its smoke stench in a day or two, I think. We'll find out soon enough how good these machines are! I'm shocked the insurance company could activate a company that quickly, frankly - must have shipped in every possible subcontractor for the cleanup.

We, like many others, were lucky the fires were only 'close' to our business, but didn't affect it. Still freaks me out to see those entire sections of Santa Rosa, in particular, burned to the ground.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#1006 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Merrill Lindquist wrote:I have no idea why this is so fascinating to so many.

I stayed with a man, Paul Battaglia, whom I met through the Berserker Board. He is no longer a Berserker member.

His family - his lovely lady, his child, his hamsters - welcomed me into his home. I came with a vocal kitten who was under stress. I went to swim practice to see his kid's team swim. I sat with his neighbors and friends, as part of the family. I went to the Pumpkin Patch with Paul and his friends and family. New friends - girls 6 and 9 years old - drew pictures of my family, based on photos. They are my treasures.

Craig Gleason, whom I know and lives near Paul, came and joined us one night. They are wonderful people who supported me. They have wine cellars, and they made wonderful food. And yes, there was Dom and other libations.

I will not apologize for having friendships with wonderful people. I received numerous offers, for that homeless Saturday night, and chose Paul based on mutual friends. I had never met him! His lady must have wondered what was going on. She welcomed me with open arms. They all did. On a good day, I am a handful.

Hang me.
Merrill, I can think of few things better than hanging with family, pets (if you have them), and friends new and old during a catastrophe (particularly when those friends open their homes to you) and breaking out wonderful Champagne. Celebrating life, to be sure, and a worthy celebration, indeed.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1007 Post by PeterH »

Paul Luckin wrote:We picked up an ozone generator for the house, and power just got restored this morning. Hoping it will alleviate the smoke odor. Rain tomorrow will help as well, at least in terms of opening doors/windows and getting some fresh air in the place.
Be aware that ozone is a powerful oxidizer. You probably know the precautions about avoiding breathing ozone, but be aware that it can degrade anything from fabrics to rubber compounds to old style electrical insulation.
I've had a professional company use ozone to alleviate smoke damage, and it does work.

P Hickner
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1008 Post by Albert R »

Most if not all posting or should I say "going off on others" in this thread has never been impacted by a natural disaster. So disappointing on many levels.

You see I know what it feels like to lose a home to a wildfire.... (Less than a year ago..)
Attachments
IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1019.JPG (35.83 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
@. Re-go

C. Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1009 Post by C. Bowman »

Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Will you be cleaning our stinky Wine Checks before next delivery?

On another note. It is truly heartwarming to see the incredible amount of generosity from everywhere that has been shown in & to both of our Valley's for assistance and recovery.
When they say #napastrong #sonomastrong YOU BETTER believe it and as sad as I am for our friends that have lost some or everything, I couldn't be more proud of what we've seen in our communities of being there for each other.
Carrie
ITB in Napa Valley where Wine is made & Cigars are smoked

Twitter @nvwineandcigar

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#1010 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Albert R wrote:Most if not all posting or should I say "going off on others" in this thread has never been impacted by a natural disaster. So disappointing on many levels.

You see I know what it feels like to lose a home to a wildfire.... (Less than a year ago..)
Ugh, sorry Albert - wow.

That was a wildfire in Florida?

andy velebil

#1011 Post by andy velebil »

PeterH wrote:
Paul Luckin wrote:We picked up an ozone generator for the house, and power just got restored this morning. Hoping it will alleviate the smoke odor. Rain tomorrow will help as well, at least in terms of opening doors/windows and getting some fresh air in the place.
Be aware that ozone is a powerful oxidizer. You probably know the precautions about avoiding breathing ozone, but be aware that it can degrade anything from fabrics to rubber compounds to old style electrical insulation.
I've had a professional company use ozone to alleviate smoke damage, and it does work.

P Hickner
Big plus one. You may want to read this from the State "ARB" (California Air Resources Board) about them. Some are illegal as they are dangerous.
The ARB recommends that ozone generators, which are air cleaners that intentionally produce ozone, not be used in the home. Ozone is a gas that can cause health problems, including respiratory tract irritation and breathing difficulty
https://www.arb.ca.gov/research/indoor/ozone.htm

M. Sai

#1012 Post by M. Sai »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
Eric Keating wrote:Merrill, you should consider renting a podium and telling your sad story to all those in Fountaingrove, Mark West Springs, and especially Coffey Park. Make sure and invite the families of the deceased.
What an evil thing to say.

Merrill considers this community her friends. She was affected by the fires, and clearly is struggling with it.

To put some kind of bar on it, like a loss deductible, is just mean.
Given Eric is the only member of his immediate family that didn't lose their house on Sunday night, and remains displaced with his wife and infant son after evacuating with almost nothing, I'll extend a little forgiveness for having slightly less self-control than most reading this thread.
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#1013 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

C. Bowman wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Will you be cleaning our stinky Wine Checks before next delivery?
Heck no - we're pointing the exhaust on those machines right at yours, obviously!
C. Bowman wrote: On another note. It is truly heartwarming to see the incredible amount of generosity from everywhere that has been shown in & to both of our Valley's for assistance and recovery.
When they say #napastrong #sonomastrong YOU BETTER believe it and as sad as I am for our friends that have lost some or everything, I couldn't be more proud of what we've seen in our communities of being there for each other.
Yes, yes, and YES! It's like nothing I've seen before, truly - the way this community has come together (and it must be 100-fold to those who actually live there) during this catastrophe, and it's one of those moments that truly restores faith in humanity.

Paul Luckin

#1014 Post by Paul Luckin »

PeterH wrote:

P Hickner
Thanks. We got a lecture from the rental company, and will take the warnings seriously.
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#1015 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Paul Luckin wrote:
PeterH wrote:

P Hickner
Thanks. We got a lecture from the rental company, and will take the warnings seriously.
Well, if you have a wine that you open and find it to be too young, put it in front of the machine.

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1016 Post by Albert R »

This was are vacation home for 15 years in Tennessee....... Yes, some of the_______ here will chime and say poor dude it's only your vacation home.......

After & before:
Attachments
IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1019.JPG (27.65 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG (39.83 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
@. Re-go

andy velebil

#1017 Post by andy velebil »

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Paul Luckin wrote:
PeterH wrote:

P Hickner
Well, if you have a wine that you open and find it to be too young, put it in front of the machine.
What would work better, in a decanter or the Francois method? [basic-smile.gif]

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1018 Post by Randy Bowman »

M. Sai wrote:
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
Eric Keating wrote:Merrill, you should consider renting a podium and telling your sad story to all those in Fountaingrove, Mark West Springs, and especially Coffey Park. Make sure and invite the families of the deceased.
What an evil thing to say.

Merrill considers this community her friends. She was affected by the fires, and clearly is struggling with it.

To put some kind of bar on it, like a loss deductible, is just mean.
Given Eric is the only member of his immediate family that didn't lose their house on Sunday night, and remains displaced with his wife and infant son after evacuating with almost nothing, I'll extend a little forgiveness for having slightly less self-control than most reading this thread.
+1
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

andy velebil

#1019 Post by andy velebil »

Albert R wrote:This was are vacation home for 15 years in Tennessee....... Yes, some of the_______ here will chime and say poor dude it's only your vacation home.......

After & before:
That's horrible, sorry for the loss. What a beautiful house. Any plans to rebuild?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#1020 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

andy velebil wrote:
Albert R wrote:This was are vacation home for 15 years in Tennessee....... Yes, some of the_______ here will chime and say poor dude it's only your vacation home.......

After & before:
That's horrible, sorry for the loss. What a beautiful house. Any plans to rebuild?
Nobody would say 'poor dude it's only your vacation home' - it's still your home, and you lost it, and that is heartbreaking.

I also didn't know it snowed that much in Tennessee!

andy velebil

#1021 Post by andy velebil »

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
andy velebil wrote:

After & before:
Nobody would say 'poor dude it's only your vacation home' - it's still your home, and you lost it, and that is heartbreaking.

I also didn't know it snowed that much in Tennessee!
Uh, I didn't know it snowed at all there. Opps blush

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1022 Post by Albert R »

Yes, heart wrenching and to a certain extent I am re-living it here with this disaster. I can't tell you how bad I feel for everyone that has been impacted.

A third of the homes in our resort were lost therefore we are in a wait and see mode on whether we rebuild or not. Our heart says YES and our common sense tells us to wait a bit. We will most likely rebuild at some point.

Snow + beautiful view of the Smokey mountains makes for a great wine drinking opportunity/setting.......
@. Re-go

Roy Piper

#1023 Post by Roy Piper »

The fires are over but the smoke remains. Terrible weather quality the last two days.

Mom gets back into Oakmont tomorrow. I go back to Skyhawk the day after, they just lifted the evacuation hours ago. champagne.gif

Lots of cleanup perhaps but I doubt any damage. Meeting an adjuster in a couple of days. Jenn is in Sacramento the last 3 days with her aunt.

Brought in the last of my fruit yesterday. Won't go to barrel with what I have in tank until smoke clears.

Very glad I lost nothing, but boy am I tired. Should be done with harvest in 2-3 weeks. pileon
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1024 Post by Randy Bowman »

After & before:
The caveat that it's insured, it's covered, it'll be replaced is nice way to reduce the impact when in fact there is a mental attachment that cannot be repaid, replaced nor replicated. Memories can't be replaced with material things. The touch, the feel, the smell and sight know the difference.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1025 Post by Dan Hammer »

Today, I'm embarrassed to be a Berserker. It's not my style to call anyone out. I usually try to change to subject with humor to steer a conversation back on track. But comments like this, and like Andy V made are embarrassing.

I live in Westchester County, 25 miles north of Manhattan. While I didn't know anyone that was killed on September 11, I did know of people in the second circle. This affected everyone here. A tragedy such as September 11, and the fires in NorCal, reach deep. Everyone reacts differently. A good buddy of mine left his office early that morning, while his partner and secretary perished. He lived. They didn't. He has to deal with it. The fires have left emotional scars on everyone; whether they were touched by fire, death, or loss of property. Heck, you can have emotional scars just by being there. The local images will be engraved on my mind forever. Ever been to a memorial service without a body? I have. Maybe you didn't see the photo of the bike messengers bike, chained to a fence 3 months later. He never came back for it. I haven't been to the World Trade Center Museum, and don't plan to either. The pain is still there.
This space for rent.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1026 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

andy velebil wrote:
Merrill Lindquist wrote:I was not going to post again, but why should I be bullied off?

The "good news" guy reappeared 15 minutes ago in a car, not the bike, with 2 other guys. Demanding money. My yard guy had shown up, and they all argued in Spanish. I feel endangered. I made some calls. Police are on alert.

Maybe I did not "lose" enough for some of the guys on this thread. My nerves are shattered. I am tired of being viewed as a "have."

Please, moderators, re-post my commercial post. I had never made one, didn't even know there were rules about that, because it is not within me to go outside the rules. I had been inundated with all kinds of contact, mostly all (99%) welcome. I have been trying, trying to respect each and every email, text, phone call, etc. personally. I am grateful to my first boyfriend and to my daughter's friends. Hundreds of people who I felt cared and deserved to know I appreciated that reach out. I made, under duress, a post to take care of a portion...a portion... of the inquiries. It told people I was ITB (they knew that), covering bills that came in while I was under mandatory evacuation. I expressly said this was not a go fund me ( I have done that for others here on this board), a handout, or anything. But like my people who were emailing, looking to buy wine, it seemed expedient.

There you have it.

With me, what you see is what you get.

"Sorry, I was eating a Milky Way." Look it up.
Forgive me, but what exact bills have come in? Gas money to your daughters and back? Some eating out? Unless I missed something in all your posts you stayed with your daughter and her "Man friend" then left as "it was best..", then stayed with a Berserker (very nice of them), then you went back home. Not trying to be a pain and I have no issues helping those in need (esp a Berserker), but since you are trying to drum up business directly related to the fire some disclosure is appropriate and fully warranted. Because from what I've read here, in your own words, you've suffered no losses. What am I missing?
Well, because I have become a public figure, nothing I ever, ever, set out to do, I guess I owe you, Mr. Velebil, my inside story. I am not drumming up business. I don't need to do that. That would disgrace me and my family. And now, so many will call "TMI," that is ok. I am a big girl. I can't win, here. This way or that.

I worked tirelessly on the property through the windstorms. This is it - this is what I have. This property. Then I saw the fire on Sunday night - oh yes, that was when I was trying to clear the property.

Was Monday a holiday? I don't know. I went to my mailbox Tuesday...maybe around 2:00 pm? In the mail...hardcopy...was a notice I owed a couple thousand for my EMH insurance. Exp date Oct. 26. And a notice that my new Medicare - how wonderful - had decided, based on my newly filed 2016 taxes on Sept 15, that I owed a couple thousand more there. I had paid through Nov. 15!

So now you, Mr. Velebil, my friend, and everyone here knows the bottom line. I grabbed hard copies of the US Mail on Tuesday, got evacuated at about 3:00 am on Wednesday, and went on my venture.

Anyone who ordered as a result of my COMMERCIAL post, will receive a personal email from me, giving them the option to back out of that order. Maybe it is 5 orders?

Really, folks, I need to do this?
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1027 Post by Larry P »

Roy Piper wrote:...boy am I tired. Should be done with harvest in 2-3 weeks. pileon
Something that occurred to me on the very first day of this, but has gotten lost as the horror unfolded - harvest workers are already exhausted beyond belief before they're woken at midnight by this fire. I can't imagine the piling on of having to deal with one during the other.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

Nolan E

#1028 Post by Nolan E »

What happened to interns during the evacuations? Were they SOL, on their own, unpaid? I understand it's a winery-by-winery decision.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1029 Post by Albert R »

Randy Bowman wrote:

After & before:
The caveat that it's insured, it's covered, it'll be replaced is nice way to reduce the impact when in fact there is a mental attachment that cannot be repaid, replaced nor replicated. Memories can't be replaced with material things. The touch, the feel, the smell and sight know the difference.
+1 Randy, exactly!

We had the property cleaned and have not been back. It still stings and hurts. Again, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone impacted no matter how small or big.
@. Re-go

Eric Keating

#1030 Post by Eric Keating »

Maybe my reply was a bit harsh, but it wasn't bullying and it certainly wasn't evil. A little perspective was being lost, and I (perhaps rudely) let that be known. A common example of what I'm talking about has been all over Facebook. People from out of town complaining about their honeymoon spot, wedding site, or favorite restaurant being burned down; followed by their friends commenting, "I am sorry for your loss" and "I hope you're okay." That can't annoy me a little?

Maybe a more appropriate post would have been along the lines of, "people from Coffey Park might be shaking their heads at some of the complaining in this thread," instead of singling out Merrill. I don't know.

This wasn't even in reference to my situation. Yes, my family has been affected by this fire quite severely. I personally made out okay. After the harrowing first 12 hours, I was displaced to Bodega Bay - one of my favorite spots on Earth. This made it much easier for my wife, baby, dog, and cat. With fresh air and a place to ourselves, I consider myself very fortunate.

To Dan specifically, everything in your post was extremely sad and I would never criticize how a person vented or responded emotionally to 9/11. You may have read too much into my post. This fire may have been a great local tragedy, but it was no 9/11.

Now back to comforting the baby and the perils of sleep deprivation that almost all of you are familiar with!
Last edited by Eric Keating on October 19th, 2017, 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1031 Post by Ed Steinway »

KRON 4 TV in San Francisco had a lot of excellent coverage last night from Calistoga as they look to recover. Brennan's was open last night and the owner's are looking to facilitate a "Thanksgiving in October" to support Oakland firefighters and others who assisted during the fire.

Thanks,
Ed

http://kron4.com/2017/10/18/north-bay-f ... calistoga/

Ralph George

#1032 Post by Ralph George »

It's probably fitting that a thread about fires is full of flaming. Ironic that the thread is marked with flame also:

Corey N.

#1033 Post by Corey N. »

Merrill Lindquist wrote:I stayed with a man, Paul Battaglia, whom I met through the Berserker Board. He is no longer a Berserker member.

Perchance did you meet Ariamali?
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1034 Post by Jay Miller »

Mark C wrote:
Steve Gautier wrote:While many houses are still standing, what is the impact from smoke that was that thick and lasted for many days.
From what I understand - which is not much! - smoke doesn’t traverse the skin once the grapes have matured.
That's good news for the growers, good to hear. I remember the 2008 Anderson Valley wines which were very marked by smoke but I think those fires were much earlier in the season.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Al Osterheld

#1035 Post by Al Osterheld »

It's been mentioned up thread, but there really isn't enough experience with this level of smoke exposure late in the season so it will be a bit of a learning experience for the fruit that was picked after the fires subsided. It's true that grapes take in more compounds from the smoke when they are younger and growing and smoke exposure lasts a long time. But, from what I've read, it's still a potential issue. But, the wineries will probably know soon enough.

Another potential but less serious issue is just that some of the fruit may have been hanging a little too long, depends a lot on the vineyard.

-Al

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1036 Post by larry schaffer »

I'm really hoping that UC Davis and Fresno State are involved with data collection at this time for current and future studies. That said, there is not a lot of research $$$ out there, so perhaps not . . .

I'm sure that ETS and Enartis and all of the other labs are being inundated with sample analysis requests - hopefully they are created databases that can be shared with all so we can all better understand the implications of the fire damage on grapes.

A couple of things to consider:

1) How bad was smoke and ash inside the winemaking facilities? During fermentation, tanks with fermenting grapes are vented to ensure that CO2 can be released. But if fermentation is not 'strong', then the amount of CO2 being released would be minimal. This would allow smoke and/or ash to settle in the tank. Anyone know if this has happened and/or want to talk about it?

2) I know with smoke taint, guaiacol levels are being assessed with these tests. Are there other 'markers' that might indicate potential issues?

3) We also know that smoke taint issues sometimes 'hide' or can be 'taken care of' only to reappear later - I know this happened with the 08 Anderson Valley wines. Any comments on this?

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1037 Post by Mike Evans »

Mark C wrote:
Steve Gautier wrote:While many houses are still standing, what is the impact from smoke that was that thick and lasted for many days.
From what I understand - which is not much! - smoke doesn’t traverse the skin once the grapes have matured.
According to this AWRI fact sheet, the closer the grapes are to harvest, the higher the risk associated with smoke exposure. More information from the AWRI can be found at https://www.awri.com.au/industry_suppor ... oke-taint/.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1038 Post by larry schaffer »

Here's the deal. We truly and honestly don't know for sure, which gives us the opportunity to do a lot of analysis this year as long as folks are open with sharing samples and the labs are open with sharing results. The difference between here and Australia is that that is a government run lab and Institute whereas we do not have the same here at all.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1039 Post by Eric Lundblad »

Perhaps we don't but the Aussies do. They have a considerable amt of experience with wildfires and how it affects grapes, wine & vines. The Australian Wine Institute has done some great research into wine topics overall, and this is esp true for smoke taint. This includes getting smoke taint data from vineyards affected by the large number of wildfires that have affected them...and getting their own data by smoking grapes (on vines or not) with various intensity smoke for various durations (then making wine from the control and treated grapes to see the results).

From that, prior to veraison, not much smoke gets absorbed. The peak period for smoke absorption is ~a week after veraison starts. The absorption declines but remains high until harvest. Smoke for as little as a few days can taint grapes if the intensity is high enough.

My guess is most of the grapes that were picked last week, esp early last week, will be fine...and the grapes picked later will depend on their location and the good or bad winds they got. Fortunately most of the grapes were picked before the fires, so it's not like this will be a repeat of 2008 Anderson Valley.
Last edited by Eric Lundblad on October 19th, 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Al Osterheld

#1040 Post by Al Osterheld »

From our experience with Anderson Valley Pinot Noir (and some other varieties/areas) in 2008, you won't need ETS to know whether you have a problem. It's really obvious on the nose and palate. It's true that some of it can be loosely bound and reappear after you think you've successfully treated the wine, but it's not all hiding from the start.

-Al

ERPark

#1041 Post by ERPark »

Corey N. wrote:
Merrill Lindquist wrote:I stayed with a man, Paul Battaglia, whom I met through the Berserker Board. He is no longer a Berserker member.

Seriously??!!?? He does a huge solid for someone he never met, and you're gonna talk about stuff from a couple of years ago?

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, especially around stuff that happened a couple years ago........ rolleyes
GEN3

Corey N.

#1042 Post by Corey N. »

Damn you're sensitive. Does it hit a bit close to home? Like realclose?

Let me be clear, I think everyone who offered shelter and/or assistance, in any capacity, to those affected by this terrible tragedy are rightly celebrated. So I tip my hat for your good deeds, no snark intended.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1043 Post by Anton D »

ERPark wrote:
Corey N. wrote:

Seriously??!!?? He does a huge solid for someone he never met, and you're gonna talk about stuff from a couple of years ago?

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, especially around stuff that happened a couple years ago........ rolleyes
Not his daughter, household member, or pet?

When I read it, it sounded like he was asking about someone there he knew in a positive way.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Ralph George

#1044 Post by Ralph George »

Eric Lundblad wrote:...and getting their own data by smoking grapes

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1045 Post by c fu »

Corey N. wrote:Damn you're sensitive. Does it hit a bit close to home? Like realclose?

Let me be clear, I think everyone who offered shelter and/or assistance, in any capacity, to those affected by this terrible tragedy are rightly celebrated. So I tip my hat for your good deeds, no snark intended.
Gene is not Paul. Let's end this stupid conspiracy theory.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Evan Pontoriero

#1046 Post by Evan Pontoriero »

They opened up Old Redwood and I drove over 101 this morning to get my lunch at Molesberry's and support the business there. I totally lost it, it is utter devastation. I feel so horribly sad for the neighbors that have been so kind to us since we opened that I'm still shaking. Thankfully the Larkfield Center didn't burn. That neighborhood built up around it so it is now a place for people to go, talk and hopefully heal.
Fogline Vineyards
Petaluma Gap

ERPark

#1047 Post by ERPark »

c fu wrote:
Corey N. wrote:Damn you're sensitive. Does it hit a bit close to home? Like realclose?

Gene is not Paul. Let's end this stupid conspiracy theory.
Charlie, please stop. Eventually some dummy is going to take me up on my standing offer to bet any large amount of cash that they could prove one of the following:

1) I am Paul
2) I am Ariamali
3) Paul has used my login to post here
4) I've posted anything at his behest

I'm still waiting for someone to put up the cash. Easy money, right?
GEN3

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1048 Post by timmy roos »

Question:
With the fires being as devastating as they have been what is the risk for considerable runoff as we enter the rainy season?
Things are getting funny these day

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1049 Post by c fu »

Eric Lundblad wrote:Perhaps we don't but the Aussies do. They have a considerable amt of experience with wildfires and how it affects grapes, wine & vines. The Australian Wine Institute has done some great research into wine topics overall, and this is esp true for smoke taint. This includes getting smoke taint data from vineyards affected by the large number of wildfires that have affected them...and getting their own data by smoking grapes (on vines or not) with various intensity smoke for various durations (then making wine from the control and treated grapes to see the results).

From that, prior to veraison, not much smoke gets absorbed. The peak period for smoke absorption is ~a week after veraison starts. The absorption declines but remains high until harvest. Smoke for as little as a few days can taint grapes if the intensity is high enough.

My guess is most of the grapes that were picked last week, esp early last week, will be fine...and the grapes picked later will depend on their location and the good or bad winds they got. Fortunately most of the grapes were picked before the fires, so it's not like this will be a repeat of 2008 Anderson Valley.
Even then, Larry brought up the point of smoke exposure in the vats. Wouldn't that be a bigger issue?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1050 Post by Mel Knox »

in 2000 our house burned because of a fire that started next door. We put an ozone machine into the neighbor's basement and put the clothes etc we wanted saved into the room.
The clothes came out fine and, as far as i can tell, no damage was done to the room or our clothes. Friends warned me about possible damage so I was careful to check.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”