Winemaking Industry Salary Survey

For those that were ever curious. Here is a recent industry salary survey from Wine Business Monthly.
Doc1.pdf (159 KB)

They entirely missed the “Todd” category and its 2 commas.

The salaries for Napa and Sonoma are higher than I expected in all positions but winemaker (which was right around what I expected).

No assistant wine maker salaries?

They do it for the love of the game?

These salaries are probably about 50% lower than what I would suspect for most folks on this board (it’s a weird distribution though, with all the lawyers that seem to be on here probably creating some bi-modality). That’s kind of a bummer, but it’s also clearly a decent living wage for someone who in theory is following a passion and not doing the daily grind.

How much for wine board manager & moderators?

I’m going to be a pest and say you should change it to “Winemaking Industry Salary Survey”

I was actually curious what the averages were from retail, wholesale, restaurants, etc.

You got it my man. Changed.

Wait till cellar position pay is public.

The grower gets screwed again!

How so? They charge enough for grapes.

I know as a wine director of a restaurant with a 250+ bottle list that I made a lot less than I do now. However, I also got to buy wines at cost…and depending on how much you spend on wine…that can really balance out in a big way.

The growers for the very top vineyards charge a pretty penny for fruit, but I’d wager the majority of farmers don’t make that much.

we get paid in complaints and attitude.