What's the worst well-rated wine you've had this year?

The prompt for this discussion came from drinking part of a bottle of 2007 Clos Saint Jean Chateauneuf du Pape (Non-Filtre) this past week. I say part, because I tried to get through a glass on consecutive nights and, each time, I could not succeed. Having had many 2007 CDPs and firmly established that I think the vintage is a much hyped travesty of bad wine, my expectations were not high here, but this went beyond “not my style” to “how did they put this in a bottle and sell it?”, and the ultimately to “How bad is Bob Parker to give this sh*t a 94 and Molesworth at the WS a 92? And, OMG, the normally more credible Josh Raynolds…a 91? Et tu brute?” [Note, it was Jeb Dunnuck, it turns out, at the WA, not Parker, and he seems to have reviewed it in 2/17, so I now have a good idea how my palate and his clash, which is useful]

Overripe, man-made dreck. Sickening. I’d have returned it if it was a Slurpie from a 7-11. And, yes, perfectly stored and not an issue of storage. This was bad wine-making in a bad vintage.

Anyway, critics have different tastes and everyone gets it wrong sometimes, yada yada…so, with those niceties dispensed with, anyone had any real head-scratchers lately?

2007 Lewelling cabs, both the Napa and the Wight. Overly sweet, and highly overrated.

Well, duh, it wasn’t out of a magnum and you weren’t eating sushi with it. Noob. neener

It was an SQN red (forgive me as I’ve forgotten exactly which one, cause i really didn’t like the wine so didn’t pay too much attention after I dumped it out). It was the most jammy alcoholic wine with no structure. Just gobs of overdone fruit.

I’d love for someone to serve an SQN from a Charles Shaw bottle to a bunch of people and see their reactions. Guarantee everyone who normally likes it would hate it.

I would not bet against you there, Andy.

Not sure I haven’t had 1, but a Garretson syrah and a Linne Calodo mixed-Rhone blend were pretty bad.

Oh, and add some of the Spanish-modern-to-please-Parker wines. Some of the worst@!

I’ve got a bunch of that wine, and other 07’s; haven’t tried any in a few years. Not sure what to do with these, but I guess I should try them again soon

2013 Pahlmeyer Chardonnay.

*I Like Pahlmeyer wines and have had numerous enjoyable bottles. But this has had poor showing on two separate bottles.

Similarly to the OP- 2005, 2006, 2007 Clos St Jean CDP.

Parker’s 97 pointer: 2014 Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley
Nowhere close to 97 points.

I’m surprised that this took 11 posts to hit!

I will put another Lewelling on the list, unfortunately. A couple weeks ago I had the 2004 Wight, and it was a syrupy sweet mess. I had to triple check to see if I grabbed a 2007, but no. My notes say I had a 2004 back in 2008 and gave it a glowing review and 95 points. If this is any indication of how they age (I sure hope not), I have a lot of bottles I will need to sell/trade.

I forgot who gave this 90+ points but its garbage…

• 2014 Daou Vineyards The Pessimist - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/29/2017)
    Dark and Inky in the glass. Long, Long legs has me concerned before I taste. Blackberry syrup and alcohol on the nose. Palette of vanilla, blueberry and blackberriy syrup with a pile of tannins and oak. This is a giant SWEET , hot and oak filled mess. Not corked, just a poorly made wine, IMO. It feels over engineered and forced. There is no synergy of flavors. Someone trying to disguise cough syrup as wine. I’m puzzled by the other scores. This should be advertised as a late harvest wine because of the residual sugar content. Spouse says it smells and taste like prune juice mixed with Robitussin. No one drank it, Popped another bottle. (75 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

in before bad pun involving pessimism

Do you mean besides Caymus 40th? [stirthepothal.gif]

2013 Belle Glos Dairyman. pileon

I’d have to say that it was a bottle of 2008 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Coeur de Cuvée…it was so tightly wound that it was almost simple. I have other bottles that will all get another 2-3+ years before checking in again…it was a real bummer.

That wine really is pretty terrible. Had it at a restaurant where this was sadly the only decent option. Like a poor mans prisoner (yep, that bad).

2007 Maybach Materium. Unbelievably alcoholic despite a desperate attempt to keep it cool in an ice bucket. And I like SQN; this was just way too over the top

2000 Quilceda a few weeks ago.
DOA

I also had 07 Clos St Jean earlier this year–pretty horrible.
I have one bottle of 07 Wight remaining; I’ll bury it for a while (in the interest of science).