TN: Syrah Blind Taste-off: 2012 Rhone vs. 2013 California with photos

SYRAH BLIND TASTE-OFF: 2012 RHONE VS. 2013 CALIFORNIA - My Place (11/4/2017)

This event was conceived from a previous event held in Northern California this past May. That event was organized by Paul Gordon of Halcon Vineyards, as well as another smart guy, Alan Rath. For that event, they had a mixture of collectors, wine writes and winemakers. 12 wines, along with a coursed meal, I believe.

While we did not replicate last night the exact wines from their event, nor the tasters, we did work to copy the spirit of the event, using the blind format. I personally wrapped all the bottles in newsprint paper, scrambled them all several times and then I numbered them all in sequence from #1-#12. Thus, all we knew as a group was the 12 wines to be tasted but no one had any idea of the order. In sum, this was about as blind and transparent in evaluation as we could achieve.

We spread the wines into 3 flights (as opposed to 2 flights of 6 wines that was the May format). We also had a decanting plan that was followed: all of the wines we tasted last night were splash decanted 6-8 hours before the event began and then returned to bottle. And, we served a mixture of Persian food during the flights last night. And to further as much as the ‘independent’ sense that we wanted to create with the evaluation of the wines, we limited the cross-talk during the flights so that no one could bias/influence another taster.

Each taster had a TN sheet, listed in bottle order from #1 - #12, without wine names, although I did provide a separate sheet of paper that listed all 12 wines, their prices and origin (FR or CA). For each of the 3 flights, everyone had the opportunity to write notes, establish some kind of basic ranking and then finally a guess as to each–California or France. At the end of the 3rd flight, after all 12 wines had been tasted (well, 13 actually, as the Wind Gap Armagh was TCA’d), each taster was given time to revisit any of the bottles for a re-taste if they wanted to firm up their impressions. Then, we asked each person to rank all 12 wines, from 12th place to 1st place. Then, they turned in their sheets to me.

I was responsible for crunching the data, using an Excel file previously created by Alan Rath for the May event. It aggregated the rankings, the CA/FR guesses too, and the Excel file organized the results. I then took the results back to the table and we had the lovely and talented Todd French remove the bags, starting with the 12th place wine, all the way to the winning wine. As each bag was removed, we then had some time to discuss the result and see how it compared.

I will say this event was challenging for a few reasons. First, we’re looking at 12 wines, over about 2 hours, across 3 flights. We’re also comparing wines within a flight, to establish some kind of dominance or preference, then trying at the end (with the aid of re-tasting anything we liked), to rank all the wines against each other. Tough but rewarding. No bias, no scores, no critics—it was us doing what we liked/preferred.

I do want to thank several wineries for submitting wines into the event–Rhys, Ojai, Drew and Halcon. The remaining 2 California wines were from my cellar. The French wines were sourced from Paul, as well as Ryan Curry, who also attended.

Thank you all for making it down, for what was a terrific night of learning, friends and discussion.

• 2012 Clusel-Roch Côte-Rôtie La Viallière - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 4th place, group rank 5th place. Decanted 6-8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. A mix of blood and barnyard in aromatic. Cedary cherry, medium weight with good structure and what seemed like a light kiss of oak/char.
  • 2013 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 10th place, group rank 7th place. Decanted 8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. Lavender and purple flower aromatics, along with lightly herbal. Purple fruit, good density, riper side of black cherry and concentrated core. My notes in the margin guessed Rhys or Copain.
  • 2013 Drew Family Cellars Syrah Valenti Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 1st place, group rank 10th place. Decanted 8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. This was the 3rd wine of the first flight and so arguably I was not palate fatigued or tired, FWIW. Distinct black pepper aromatic, intense with depth, pepper and olive. The last few words of my TN sheet say “excellent, gorgeous stuff”. I guessed Calif on this one, and I would say this was the most distinctive of the 6 Calif bottles last night.
  • 2013 Wind Gap Wines Syrah Armagh Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. Decanted 8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. I was responsible for this wine and was the dude who opened it early in the day to decant. I didn’t detect TCA and even at the table when we had it in the flight, it didn’t jump out TCA for me. Yet, a handful of people, whether there was confirmation bias or TCA threshold they sensed, we decided to d/q the bottle and replace it with another wine (that ended up being the 2013 Chave Saint Joseph). NR (flawed)
  • 2012 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 5th place, group rank 2nd place. As opposed to all the other wines in the event, this bottle was pulled in the moment and dumped to the decanter and served immediately. It was only known by Ryan, who had brought it as a backup for the evening–no one else knew the wine until the reveal. And, it replaced the Wind Gap Armagh, which we had D/Q’d because of some TCA. So, to the Chave, it seemed aromatically kind of burly to me, very present and lifted in nature. Bloody, dark cherry, and what my notes say “a little heat?”. Spicy and savory in the finish.

• 2012 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 3rd place, group rank 4th place. Decanted 6-8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. Light pepper in aromatic. Some richness here, kind of a sexy quality but it’s not sweet nor overdone. Iron, dark tones. Spicy with good length, medium weight and some herbals in the finish. My ending comment in my notes say “really nice balance”.
  • 2013 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 11th place, group rank 6th place. Decanted 6-8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. Purpley, dark fruit and lavender nose, richer styled and some density here. Fruit purity with a richer core. Had no idea this was Paul’s wine and I had it guessed as Calif, as well.
  • 2012 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 2nd place, group rank 1st place. Decanted 6-8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. I dug this wine, as it had a balance and complexity that made it stand out. A cool, whole cluster florality, with light pepper and some blood. The aromatics reminded me of the '13 Drew Valenti which was in the previous flight. Tight palate, a rocky, ferrous/iron quality yet with terrific intensity and depth. This was terrific.
  • 2013 Copain Syrah Hawks Butte Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 6th place, group rank 11th place. Decanted 8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. There were a few distinct markers in this wine I really dug (and it’s well known with those close to me that I am a die-hard Copain dude, yet I had no idea the wine in the glass was Copain so please take my TN here as transparently written). Perfumey aromatic, with face powder lavender and purple flower. In some respects, similar to the '13 Rhys Horseshoe that was in the previous flight. Lavender, potpourri, medium weight, with hard cherry/raspberry candy and a great balance. Between the aromatic and the fruit purity with the raspberry quality, this is what drew me to the uniqueness comments. I wish it would have shown better to the others but I definitely liked it.

• 2012 Guillaume Gilles Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 8th place, group rank 12th place. Decanted 6-8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. This seemed tight, rocky and intense with fruit but not in a way that I found very appealing. The aromatic seemed to loom large and ripe, the expression of the wine was rough and again overtly ripe. Dark, with what my notes say “lots of guts and some heat”.
  • 2012 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 7th place, group rank 8th place. Decanted 6-8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. For what I would have thought of a wine like this to show better, it got outclassed last night. Lightly floral, potpourri, tight with minerality. I liked the core here and what my finishing comments in my notes say “call this a wine with potential”. I didn’t put this potential comment in any of the other 12 wines last night so that may be an emerging positive for the wine. Conversely, there were smart palates around the table last night and so either the wine got a little lost, it didn’t show well from this bottle or both. Who knows but I do think this wine will be better in time, as often Allemand is. I still recall the 1999 of this that I had last year and how it tasted like it was 5 years old at that time, not 20.
  • 2012 Marie et Pierre Bénetière Côte-Rôtie Cordeloux - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 9th place, group rank 2nd place. Decanted 6-8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. The aromatics on this were bitchen, showing a cool climate signature. Pepper, smoky with some stem influence. Brooding, roasted red fruit, sweet leather/saddle, some savory in the finish and a bit jammy. The guess I made in my notes was the Rhys Horseshoe, even saying in the same note “clearly California”. Yet, as it goes with wines done blind, when there isn’t some score from a critic or personal bias about ‘what should be’ and that someone tells me to like or revere a wine, the humility and recalibration of one’s palate and what we know is tamed by the blind experience. For that, I am always appreciative of this format.
  • 2013 Ojai Syrah Sebastiano Vineyard Santa Barbara County - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
    Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 12th place, group rank 9th place. Decanted 6-8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. This was the final wine of the final flight, so take that FWIW. Purple fruit, dark raspberry too, and the ripeness here also stood forward.

Posted from CellarTracker
20171104_192231.jpg
20171104_192247.jpg
20171104_214015.jpg
20171104_212955.jpg

Bravo, great event and terrific read.

Crap, I forgot to post the results. I did a PNG of the Excel file so y’all can see how things shook out. The file was designed by Alan to report out the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place votes, along with any wine that got a last place vote (i.e. 12th place). PS–ignore the bold font on the wine names…it means nothing.
results.png

OMG I LOVE BLIND TASTING!!!

All prejudice, all pre-conceived notions are out the window, and you find out just how sucky you are at wine tasting and identification. There’s so much to learn about what you TRULY like as a wine aficionado.

I failed miserably, as did nearly everyone (except Frank, you correctly identified 11 of the 12 wines as either French or California - I identified 7, and would have been 8 but we thought there were 6 of each, so I changed one to CA - the original corked bottle was replaced, and Ryan had me convinced he knew what the corked bottle was, and he replaced with another, so I knew at that time it was French, when the first was CA), but I’m most proud that I identified the only double-blind wine of the night, the replacement bottle 4, if only that I nailed the region - St. Joseph (I guessed Gonon, was Chave). What excites me about this is basically that I peg myself as a lover of Chave, and my favorite wine of this tremendous flight was a Chave. Whew.

I’ve identified 3-4 Syrahs that I want to buy now, and I was pleasantly fooled by a few I swore were French, but were CA, or visa versa. Wonderful exercise, and not a ‘bad’ wine in the bunch (once the corked one was replaced).

One last tidbit - INCREDIBLE difference in stemware, which was a surprise to all. I brought Gabriel-Glas Golds and Steve, Ryan, and Ramon all had to re-sample their wines in my stems because: 1) the corked wine was not as harsh in mine (some detected NO TCA in mine), and 2) those with unexpressive noses came to life in the Gabriel-Glas Golds. I think a lot of GG stems will be sold after this tasting.

2012 Clusel-Roch Côte-Rôtie La Viallière - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Rustic quality but some vanilla so I’m guessing CA, grilled meat, dark blue fruits, old world style but I think new world, nice grip on the finish. I guessed CA/Copain. My 9th, group’s 5th

2013 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
Cured meats, more salinity on this nose, nice blast of red fruit, hint of sweetness, white pepper. I’m thinking Cornas, very nice. It could be CA - if so, I’m in! (it was CA!) I guessed Gilles Cornas. My 2nd, group’s 7th

2013 Drew Family Cellars Syrah Valenti Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge
Nose seems to scream CA for me so I hope I’m right! Dark-fruited, not as ‘savage’ as the others, nose has some malo, very new world, bright fruited. I guessed CA/Ojai. My 11th, group’s 10th

2013 Wind Gap Wines Syrah Armagh Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
(Corked) In my glass, only very slightly corked (some detected none in my glass when it was passed around), rose petals and perfume still come through on the nose, palate fades quickly from the flaw, red-fruited, lighter bodied. NR (flawed)

2012 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
Absolutely French, some olive character on the nose, greener profile, beautiful mouthfeel, wow. Red-fruited, slightly sweet, long finish - excellent, has a big presence. I guessed France/Gonon St Joseph. My 1st, group’s 2nd

2012 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
A bit shy on the nose, some olive and savory, blue fruits come through with coaxing. Silky mouthfeel, weighty, not much fruit, but lots of pepper. Cote Rotie? Too dark/rich than I would guess for Levet. I guessed France/Clusel-Roch (never had it before, no clue what it tastes like). My 10th, group’s 4th (on this one, others seemed to have a more expressive nose than in the Gabriel-Glas, so maybe I should have tried those)

2013 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands
Dark, dark, dark qualities. Baking spice, cured meat on the nose. Nice sweet red and blue fruit, tart profile seems young, but still balanced. Nice finish, riper profile than prior bottle. I guessed France/Jamet. My 6th, group’s 6th (I’m buying this wine, for sure. I guessed Jamet, as did Ryan! This is a freakin’ $30 wine!)

2012 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Very floral profile on the nose with violets and red roses. Black pepper, nice brightness overall, meaty, rich, fruit is very lively, satiny mouthfeel, seems young but built to age, high end, very nice. I guessed France/Chaillot. My 3rd, group’s 1st.

2013 Copain Syrah Hawks Butte Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands
Floral, but more of an artificial character in the florals, red fruited nose, more acidity than others, really ‘pops’ on the palate, cool climate? Nice. I guessed CA/Rhys. My 7th, group’s 11th

2012 Guillaume Gilles Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
Dark fruited, peppery, roasted game, weighty, primary profile, big in character overall. Blue fruit and pepper finish, slightest hint of TCA brought this one down in my rankings. I guessed CA/Drew

2012 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
Having trouble on France/CA on this wine - pushed a bit toward CA with a hint of Malo on the nose, lots of stems, very nice, lighter profile. I guessed (hesitantly) CA/Wind Gap. My 8th, group’s 8th

2012 Marie et Pierre Bénetière Côte-Rôtie Cordeloux - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Green profile on the nose, white and green pepper, good structure, young, reminds me of the little Levet I’ve had, red-fruited, LONG finish, very nice. I guessed France/Levet. My 5th, group’s 3rd

2013 Ojai Syrah Sebastiano Vineyard Santa Barbara County - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
Unique nose on this wine - blueberry compote really strong, some stems, nice mouthfeel with a balance of weight and tannic structure, very nice, not as ‘meaty’ as others, but nice wine, unique in this flight. I guessed CA/Halcon. My 4th, group’s 9th

Very cool read on some of my favorite wines. Thanks!

Thank you for putting this together, Frank. Blind tasting is always humbling, and this was no different. I did reasonably well guessing which was california vs. french, but there were some notable exceptions. I rated Paul’s Halcon syrah as my favorite of the night and thought that it was Jamet. Bravo to Paul on that one. The Benetiere changed a lot from when I opened it to when we tasted it at dinner. It was rather herbal and lean upon opening, but really fleshed out with time. The allemand seems to be going through a bit of a dumb phase. The Gilles cornas was really weird. Something was off, but I don’t really know what. I’ve really enjoyed that wine in the past. I was completely lost trying to name each wine. The only one that I got correct was the levet. Really fun tasting!

Wonderful tasting and cool format. Enjoying the notes as well as I have, and have had, many of these wines.

I joined you guys, at least in spirit, popping the 2012 Benetiere after Frankie told me what you guys were popping. I am not surprised how well it did in the group tasting.

Todd, I am also not surprised by your reference to Levet in the Benetiere note. My note posted last night has a similar reference. The Chave being tops makes sense to me as well, I had that wine a few weeks ago, it is exceptional.

Levet coming out tops does surprise me. It has such a distinct signature, such a pungent perfume, that I see it being tops for some and bottoms for others (que in Alan).

I need to order Halcon again. First time I tried Paul’s wines, the cool mountain profile shown through. Definitely can appeal to a more France-oriented palate.

WOW!! Fantastic job gang. Thanks Todd for confirming what I have always said…Glassware matters and GG rock!!

Like most events we have here at the house, there was some wine leftover. From last night, just the CA wines, along with one Cote Rotie, which is the 2012 Jacques Lemenicier, which he opened at the end of the event and shared–I added this below. For the CA wines, if you want to read some follow-up on them, you can read the last few sentences of each CA note. I do find the Copain to be showing well, about the same as last night. The Rhys is better revealed to me. The Ojai, a more opulent wine as compared to the other two, yet I believe the alcs are all about the same as listed.

• 2012 Jacques Lemenicier Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (11/5/2017)
    Opened last night, left under cork for today. Tasting without food. Has a nice whiff of black pepper, cracked spices and purple flower. Stems here? Seem like a bit is nicely shading the aromatic. Plush, a generous palate of dark cherry, blackberry, cedar and supporting acidity. Spicy, cedary finish. Delicious wine here.
  • 2013 Copain Syrah Hawks Butte Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (11/4/2017)
    Syrah Blind Taste-off: 2012 Rhone vs. 2013 California (My Place): Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 6th place, group rank 11th place. Decanted 8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. There were a few distinct markers in this wine I really dug (and it’s well known with those close to me that I am a die-hard Copain dude, yet I had no idea the wine in the glass was Copain so please take my TN here as transparently written). Perfumey aromatic, with face powder lavender and purple flower. In some respects, similar to the '13 Rhys Horseshoe that was in the previous flight. Lavender, potpourri, medium weight, with hard cherry/raspberry candy and a great balance. Between the aromatic and the fruit purity with the raspberry quality, this is what drew me to the uniqueness comments. I wish it would have shown better to the others but I definitely liked it…as an update, retasted this afternoon from last night’s bottle, it shows the core of the purple, raspberry fruit, with some mineral tannin even after all the decanting and air it has seen. I really enjoy this wine for the purity it shows, along with the structure in it.
  • 2013 Ojai Syrah Sebastiano Vineyard Santa Barbara County - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (11/4/2017)
    Syrah Blind Taste-off: 2012 Rhone vs. 2013 California (My Place): Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 12th place, group rank 9th place. Decanted 6-8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. This was the final wine of the final flight, so take that FWIW. Purple fruit, dark raspberry too, and the ripeness here also stood forward…as an update, re-tasting this afternoon using the leftovers that are still in last night’s bottle. This continues to exhibit the riper qualities, as the aromatic shows some dried purple flower, and darker, ripe fruit. In the palate of the wine, it’s got plenty of darker, savory toned fruit, along with stone fruit pit. It’s just missing some complexity, some freshness that is better shown today in the remnants of the Rhys Skyline and Copain Hawks Butte. All in, this Ojai is just a more unctuous style of the wines we had last night, probably for me the most of all.
  • 2013 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/4/2017)
    Syrah Blind Taste-off: 2012 Rhone vs. 2013 California (My Place): Poured blind, as part of our '12 Rhone vs. '13 Calif syrah event. My rank 10th place, group rank 7th place. Decanted 8 hours before event, then returned to bottle. Lavender and purple flower aromatics, along with lightly herbal. Purple fruit, good density, riper side of black cherry and concentrated core. My notes in the margin guessed Rhys or Copain…as an update, we saved the remnants of last night’s wine and I am re-tasting it this afternoon so it’s seen a lot of air. What the wine best exhibits today is depth. There is a darkness in the wine, along with black olive, potpourri and rosemary, all the markers of a good dollop of whole cluster. Black/dark cherry, juicy and tarry. This is very good today, it’s held up well. This has plenty of stuffing and color to help it continue to age.

Posted from CellarTracker

Love this Frank! Liking the Syrah notes coming out lately, it’s the time of year for sure. Our next tasting is going to be blind as well. Such an equalizer.
Someone tell Todd to burn that shirt.

Sounds like great fun … and a great read!

Fun read. Would have guessed the Allemand would show better.

can’t remember the last young chaillot i’ve had that’s shown well.

2011 Allemand Chaillots has been fantastic the last couple times I had it. I haven’t had anything younger other than this 2012.

Thanks to all for attending, and particularly to Frank for hosting and organizing the event. Like all blind tastings it was humbling. Some thoughts/observations:

• I was surprised how stemmy the French wines showed at this tasting. Jamet and Clusel-Roch for instance, are moderate users of whole-cluster but the characteristics really came through last night.
  • I thought the Gilles was lightly corked. Definitely a little off.
  • Another poor showing for an Allemand! At our tasting earlier in the year Clape also showed poorly. At both tastings Cornas wines we more likely to be judged to be CA wines.
  • Given the ranking, this group really liked their N.Rhones.
  • Again I failed to pick out my own wine. I thought it was French. Do other winemakers have the same challenge?

#humblebrag

:wink:

Alturas French Wine Equalizer

When I first showed up, I got a compliment from Steve, then when I sat down, Viet said he liked the cuffs. Guess you are on your own on the shirt, buddy. neener

He needs to put on his label that 12.5% of participants in the blind tasting thought his wine was Jamet!

Robert: nice job popping the Benetiere. Next time we should face time/video conference you in for a vitual cheers. The Benetiere was my second pick of the night, and I asked Frank if I can purchase one from him as a memento for the night.

Craig: I pegged the Halcon as French as well. Based on the night’s results Paul has a good reason to be proud of his wine. I told him it was the QPR of the night for sure.

Todd: You would have gotten more points if it was a French cuff shirt!

Still working on my notes, will post today hopefully.