A pair from Rabajà

I always treat myself to something special from the cellar every November 11th. So we seared up some steaks, I made a porcini & white truffle creme risotto and we pulled the corks on the two wines below. It always helps to have a good friend over for dinner to dig a little deeper in the cellar…and that was just what we did.

• 2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (11/11/2017)
    This was opened an hour before dinner and served with steak with a white truffle creme & porcini mushroom risotto; it was served single-blind side by side with the 2008 Giuseppe Cortese Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà. This was lighter in color, more ruby and less extracted. There was no question…both wines were great…but this was the more elegant and feminine of the two. There was a lift and a lightness on both the aerobatics and the palate as this offered up more bright red-fruit notes, earth, and roses on the nose. A wine that will only continue to grow and develop with time and patience…this is a wine that is easy to enjoy now but is also clearly built for the long haul that can be enjoyed now or decades later.

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2008 Giuseppe Cortese Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (11/11/2017)
    This was opened an hour before dinner and served with steak with a white truffle creme & porcini mushroom risotto; it was served single-blind side by side with the 2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Rabajà Riserva. This was deeper in color, more extracted, and “heavier” than the Produttori. There was no question…both wines were great…but this was the more robust and masculine of the two. It almost was more like a Barolo than a Barbaresco in that way…and when the reveal was noted it helped put this wine into context with everything. If you have this…I’d say that it deserves at least another 5+ years in the cellar…maybe longer.

Posted from CellarTracker

I love 2008s. The Produttori seems to have really shown the character of the vintage, as I would expect.

Thanks for the impressions on two personal favorites. Both sound great, especially with that meal.

Produttori absolutely killed it in '08.

Yes…they did! It was a good night full of some excellent wines…
F0D7F88E-64F1-44B9-A081-72CD378D400D.jpeg

I had the '08 Produttori Pora and Ovello on Thursday night. The Pora was too young, but gave some degree of pleasure. The Ovello was a tannic beast.

Haven’t had either of those. The Montestefano is the best I’ve tried.

Montestefano and Rabaja are the two I have socked away for the long haul.

If you only have one bottle of each…I’d wait another 5-10 years minimum. They will be in a great place with some more time sideways.