TN: 2001 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

• 2001 Ridge Monte Bello - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/29/2017)
    Brian’s btl and, I believe this was decanted at Dan’s place upon arrival? We drank it about 2 hours in. 56% Cabernet Sauvignon, 36% Merlot, and 8% Petit Verdot. This was impressive and my #2 wine of the night and only slightly one upped by a '95 Margaux. I’m kicking myself that I’ve never purchased this wine over the years. Dark opaque almost purple color. Just coming into prime drinking at age 16 and IMO has a chance of further evolution and added nuance. I’d love to own 2 or 3 of these and Brian said he’ll open his last one me present. I’ll hold him to that :slight_smile:. For me this was the “Latour” of the night with its iron fist in a velvet glove masculinity to the '95 Margaux’s silky feminity and grace. Terrific aromatics with a lifted & focused mix of both dark & red fruit, tobacco, cedar,saddle leather, earth and mineral. Having been to the site about six years ago I can see how this wine gets it balance and admirable structure. Big as it, this wine succeeds in never coming off flabby, heavy or jammy like too many CA Cab/Cab blends. Very impressive and spot on tonight! (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Really great MB just getting going too. Glad you got to enjoy this wine.

I dropped a magnum of this and watched it shatter about a year ago. It did have a wonderful nose!

ARGHH!! Had this from magnum 3 weeks ago. Quite good cedar and spice with some good dark fruit. Maybe my WOTY.

01 cabs, dude… Yum.

2001 is a great, great wine. Tasted it on futures at MacArthurs annual gig back when, and was astounded then, and still am now.

Great wine. Brought a magnum to a New Years Eve dinner party about 4 years ago. I will admit I had a touch of selfish behavior as I made sure the bottle stayed at my end of the table as the other end poured big glasses of some big, juicy sweet petite sirah.

I went looking for back vintage to buy on WS Pro and this baby is… spendy …now along with just about any other vintage to boot. Usually you can buy 91, 95 & 96 of any old school CA producer for a steal. Not Monte Bello.

Those days are done man.

It looks that way for Ridge. Pre 2000 Arrowwood, Mondavi, Flora Springs and others can still be had for under $150 and even under $100.

Yeah, the prices of older Ridge wines pretty much tripled in the last few years.

"01 is one of may favorite vintages, and I’ve had most.

As a funny aside, we did an event with Fran Bennion last year. She said the '59 (first and noncommercial vintage) is still her favorite ever. Her description made it sound similar to the '01. Not much made, and much went to friends, many of whom made wine coolers out of it. Not likely any bottles of that still exist. (Also note that Dave and Fran Bennion were the true Ridge founders, while most accounts omit her and credit a couple financial/helper partner-friends they brought in who were co-worker wine friends from SRI.)

Thank you Craig for the note. Still have a couple bottles so your post helps judge when have a go at them!

Remember opening one of these at age ten and was amazed at how little the 01 MB showed signs of age of almost any kind.

Curious, what prices did you see on WS pro?

My run of Monte Bellos starts in 2007. Hope I live long enough to enjoy them.

I have a small run of 97 to 00 and REALLY wish I had 2001. Also had a couple of 1996 until last year. Drank one and was so blown away I couldn’t keep my hands off of the other bottle.

I hear that the 2000 MB is quite strong too, that the vintage was better in the Santa Cruz Mtns than Napa. But even the 2000 is $130 these days.

I can imagine the 2001 getting poured at Bandon Dunes as part of the Stonekings auction soirée.

Monte Bello ages.