TN: Two QPR Bedrocks...(short/boring)

Breaking into my Bedrock arrivals, I tried these two over the last few days:

1. Bedrock Zin OldVine Calif (Vine avg age > 80 yrs; 14.4%; Drk: 2017-2022: MTP; Bedrock/Teldeschi/Sodini/Nervo/Katushas/Evangelho/Esola/CasaSantinamaria/Story; 88% Zin + PS/Carignan/AlicanteBouschet + others + 0% Merlot) 2016: Med.color; light toasty/oak very attractive blackberry/Zin/spicy/bit boysenberry rather dusty/OV fairly ripe nose; lightly tart quite juicy strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry/ripe/spicy light toasty/oak rather spicy/dusty/OV drinkable flavor w/ light brisk tannins; very long ripe/blackberry/Zin/very spicy fairly dusty/OV bit earthy/rustic light toasty/oak finish w/ light brisk tannins; shows lots of dusty/OV character & strong blackberry/Zin fruit; a screaming steal at $19.50

1. Bedrock Syrah NorthCoast (33%-50% whole-cluster; 2% co-frmtd Viognier; Drk: 2018-2025: MTP; 11 mo. in neutral Fr.oak; 14 brls) 2016: Very dark/near black color; beautiful blackberry/Syrah/spicy/peppery rather black pepper/w-c some Rhonish/smoked meats/roasted fairly complex nose; lightly tart strong blackberry/Syrah/blueberry/spicy rather peppery/w-c/cracked pepper rather Rhonish/roasted lovely flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long/lingering strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah/spicy rather Rhonish/roasted/olive tapenade peppery/w-c savory finish w/ modest tangy/angular tannins; a beautiful very Rhonish Syrah at a stupid/silly price. $20.65

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Zin: The Casa Santinamaria vnyd in GlenEllen is an old vnyd that Wellington used to make some great Zins from. Don’t hear much about Wellington anymore nor know how there wines are these days.
    The EugeneStory is up in Amador overlooking the ConsumnesRiver vlly. Didn’t know Morgan bought from them. They also have some very old-vine Mission at Story. Don’t know what the Story wines are like these days.
    Tom

Nice reviews TomHill. These wines are screaming values. I’ve been buying less of them just to try to reduce the bottle count in my cellar, but it’s really a tough call between these and the SVDs.

FYI the Turley Judge Bell is in fact the same vineyard block as was/is Story Picnic Hill. I guess Larry Turley liked the image of a “Hangin’ Judge Bell” better than a “Picnic Hill.” This wine has an impressive tannic structure and I think will be one of the most age-worthy Turleys ever.

Add me to the chorus of praise for these two QPR champs…

…curious though Tom, why the 0% Merlot note on the OVZ?

All that GDC-pruned Merlot at Bedrock Vineyard has to go somewhere, but I guess not here.

Thanks for taking two for the team, Tom!! I ordered 2 bottles of the 2016 Bedrock Old Vine Zin, plus a couple of Evangelho Reds.

I reached out to Wellington Cellars a little while back. It was bought out and the winery focuses on a collection of home vineyard-designated Zins based on the year planted, as well as offering the standard releases (Cab, Merlot, Pinot, Chard, Rhône-style Red & White, etc). Alas, the “Noir du Noir” Alicante/Teinturier blend (including fruit from Wellington and Pagani) is gone. :neutral_face:

Peter sold Wellington, Tom. Turned the keys, property, and winery over a year or so ago. Sold maybe three years ago. Peter’s kids weren’t interested so he sold.

He’s almost done clearing out his inventory, I believe. Mystery cases were sold on woot for like $170.

Well, Eric…just to indicate that this is not a kitchen-sink blend in which they just
dump in the leftovers.
And just to see if anybody is reading. In many of my posts, I just post something outrageous
just to see if people are reading them. You get a GoldStar today.

Do a Google on one such: “Turley Smoot-Hawley White Zin”.

Tom

Lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah yes, the famous(infamous?) Turley Smoot-Hawley Vyd White Zin…Haven’t seen that pop up in a long,long time…