TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese

2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/20/2017)
Well now, this is approaching early maturity. The rich peach and apple fruit is still right there, but it has also developed some honeyed, spicy elements. The acid balance is dead on perfect, providing ample structure and refreshment. This is a drink now to infinity wine, as proper storage will allow for further graceful development, and a long, long maturity to a slow decline. Masterful wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Will you ever run out of '01s?

Unlikely. I bought 60+ cases.

That’s nuts. In any case, knowing this is an impossible question, do you have a view on 2001 versus 2002 Prum in general? I find both vintages remarkable.

I have yet to taste any of my 01 and 02 Prum. Wehlener Sonnenuhr is undoubtedly a spectacular site that ages for decades but I feel Graacher Himmelreich is just as great and tends to show a bit more earlier on.

Gee I only bought 3 cases of 01’s!

[mouth-drop.gif] [drinkers.gif]

How many are left?

I bought about 25 cases of 2001 German Riesling (and at least half of that was at auction between 2008-2010), and I thought that was pretty nuts.

I prefer 2001, but 2002 is lovely. I find ‘02 to be a lighter, more filigreed expression of Prum, though it is developing at the same glacial pace as its 2001 counterpart.

A little less than half. A huge number were drunk/used for events in 2003/2004.

Awesome wine. Wish I had more. I guess I need to score an invite to David’s house.

JJ Prum 2001s might be some of the best wines of our lifetime. Unreal.