And what about crown of lamb?

Following on from the interesting and useful recommendations for wines with different Christmas meals, how about this one? I’m preparing a crown roast of lamb with a mixed-breads, lamb stock and rosemary stuffing. My first thought is claret, but what are your ideas? I’ve got a cellar with Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone, Italian and Spanish reds. Thank you in advance!

https://www.google.fr/search?q=crown+roast+of+lamb&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjsoqyDoKLYAhVJDcAKHdLEBCAQiR4I0AE&biw=1182&bih=575&dpr=1.63#imgrc=AuL2-am7X_8DXM:&spf=1514104834574

Same answer: Whatever you feel like drinking. Roasts are very broadly compatible. Any problems will be with the side dishes.

Whatever you feel like, that’s what’s best. Any wine that’s even remotely plausible will work, as long as you like it.

I’m doing racks of lamb for Xmas dinner as well. For 12 people.

Given how versatile it is, and the varying preferences of the group, I am popping:

A mature Bordeaux
A mid-aged Northern Rhone
A young Chateauneuf du Pape
A mid-aged Cali Cab

I could make the argument that each of these selections is “the” perfect pairing, but in truth, they all work well.

Any of the Reds already mentioned would work, but how about a nice Rioja Gran Riserva? I think the high-acid profile along with the earthy elements would go great with the lamb.

Let us know what you decided to drink!

Lots of options, as others have said, but I’d be interested in an Italian red (Barbaresco or traditional Brunello come to mind). I like rosemary and Italian reds.

Another vote for Rioja. It’s my favorite pairing for roasted lamb.

A great Cab Franc !!!

Jack, I see your are in Strasbourg ! You lucky man !

My ancestor was a Cantor in the Cathedral there !

Roasted lamb? A Northern Rhone or a Rioja or both. Preferably with some age in them.

I would also go with a Northern Rhône with some bottle age on it.

+1 on Northern Rhone. Syrah and lamb is the classic, but what about maybe a right bank Bordeaux that’s on the cab franc-forward side of things?

We are having lamb tonight too as no fresh crab was available.

These are grass-fed chops and I’m pulling Cayuse.

+1 This is when I would pull out the aged Barolo or Barbaresco.

I think lamb is the perfect match for aged red wines as mentioned above.

Those are great suggestions.

Just be sure not to serve mint jelly.

Lamb flirtysmile Syrah, all day every day.

Lamb and Left bank Bordeaux with some age (96 or older) is my preferred pairing. Northern Rhône would be a close second choice.

I have paired older Aglianicos from Bruno de Conciliis with lamb and have had much success.

Bob-O I’m curious, what did you pull for the mid-aged Cali?

Our host always serves a lamb crown roast @ Passover and we bring some Kosher Cab, any Kosher Syrahs out there for the pre-Christian folks? [thankyou.gif]