Wine cellar contractor in or near RI?

I live in Providence, Rhode Island and am looking to have a temp controlled wine cellar built in half of my mostly unfinished basement (poured concrete floor is the extent of finishing). Anyone live nearby who has used a contractor for cellar construction?

Space is roughly 24’x14’ with a 4.5’x2.5’ foundation in the middle. Ceilings are only about 5’8” so this will be no show cellar. Mainly looking for framing, insulation, cooling and double deep racking all around. Ideally would store 1500-2000 bottles.

Any advice appreciated, thanks. DMs welcome.

Zach

Keep track of all contractor employees who visit, in case of wine theft.

With all due respect Victor, there is no friggin’ wine in the (to be built) cellar. But otherwise, your post is extremely helpful.

To the OP, in that size room, with double deep racking, you can get a lot more than 2,000 btls and still have room for a square dance in the middle. But I, like Victor, have no contractor to recommend in your area.

I can contact one of my cousins in RI. if you like.A couple of them are retired contractors.
PM me if interested.

Hi Zach,

A wine cellar is a fairly simply build if you understand the basics. If you want turnkey, likely go thru a cellar consultant or something similar. I have “GC’d” three builds in my homes. Basically you need framing, drywall, insulation, vapor barrier, lights, and HVAC. If you use close cell foam to insulate that will double as the vapor barrier so I’d suggest this strongly (it is more pricey). You just need a carpenter for framing and rack assembly. And most importantly a HVAC firm who is reasonably smart about setting up a split system (or similar) for cellar use. I have used R&P Redwood for racking which is then assembled on site by a carpenter. Apex makes racking as well and of course pre fab stuff exists as well.

A retired GC or excellent handyman can arrange all this. But that assumes you are on top of defining the specs. If that is not the case nor possible find a consultant or cellar firm to lay that stuff out. Good luck!

I’d be happy to quote you for wine racking, if you’re interested in a modern style.
I don’t do cellar construction though.
Pretty sure I’ve seen advertising from a cellar contractor located in Fairfield County, Connecticut.

Hi Zach - Sounds like you are in an old structure with a large chimney support in the middle. Do you know if much moisture comes up through the floor? Your overall height is short and thus the spray foam suggestion above is important for the ceiling in between floor joists. If there is no significant moisture transfer through the floor then nothing needs to be done there. If there is then you need to think of a vapor barrier and thin engineered floor/tile. As mentioned the framing, wiring, insulation, wallboard, and racking are straightforward. The HVAC is your key person. In that regard my suggestion would be to contact someone like Champ Speidel at Persimmon on Hope Street. They are in an older building and may have a wine cellar for their collection. At the very least they would have a refrigeration person that they trust for quality work on their food storage.

Add - The new Bin 312 Wine Cellars in Providence used these folks for design …Bin 312 Wine Cellar… and thus there should be a connection from either them or the owners of Bin 312 for a construction referral.

Do a search for David Andreozzi who is an architect in Rhode Island and use to post on another wine board. He does residential projects and by the looks of some of his homes he should have contacts.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the replies. I am a new homeowner with zero experience with home improvement projects so I am looking for something turnkey or close to it.

John, thanks for the advice, I’ll definitely refer to it.

Chris, thanks for the offer, will let you know.

Gary, yes, a very old house with a chimney support. Thankfully the basement is bone dry, haven’t seen any moisture there and our inspector said there was no evidence of any. So thinking about just leaving the poured concrete floor. We love Persimmon and that’s a good thought. I’m not sure they have a cellar but I will inquire. Bin 312 is another good idea. Many thanks.

Mike, will search for David, thanks.

Perhaps check the temperatures and humidity in the summer/winter before embarking on such a project? No real experience , just an opinion .

Have looked at temps over a couple of years thanks. Low 80s on hottest days of summer, low 40s on coldest days of winter.

Chris Kravitz on this board builds cellars for a living. You should PM him. He does a very good job. I’m not sure if RI is in his zone but even if not I’m sure he’ll be helpful if you have questions.

http://www.homesecurityresource.org/contractor-burglaries/

http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-wine-stolen-20161221-story.html

Was curious thanks. I offer no insight but hope you end up with the finished product you want.

Jay Rosen of Washington Valley Cellars does epic work here in Jersey and I believe he works out of state as well.

jayrosen@washingtonvalleycellars.com