Help me build a mixed case of vintage 2000 Bordeaux: UPDATE 4/3/18

For a variety of reasons, I entirely missed this vintage. Well, I was a new father, new business, new law partner - and hence, quite poor when it came out - and never really backfilled on some classic wines from the vintage. I’ve been drinking some wonderful 2000s lately that I have picked up over the years, but wines of more down-to-earth pedigree, like my beloved Sociando, La Louviere, Cantemerle, Carmes Haut Brion, et al. Having recently popped a Gruard Larose 2000, clearly there is another level of quality in this vintage, even if it really is not yet ready. I’m thinking a case or perhaps two of some classic stalwarts that are the best representation of the vintage. No First Growths, or Super Right Banks, I’m still too poor for that. They need to be easily sourced, too.

Leoville Barton is first on my mind, as is Vieux Chateau Certan.

So, what have you had lately that blew you away?

Well I have not had it lately, but Pichon Baron blew me away back in 2003. I have zero doubt it will be spectacular. Leoville Barton has been great the couple of times I tasted it, though neither time was recent. Branaire is delicious as well.

I have found Pontet Canet to be disappointing for the vintage.

Good call on Pichon, have not tried it, but generally love it. Yea, the Pontet is like the Leoville Poyferre, just a little glossy. Not really appealing.

Can’t help. Haven’t opened any of mine!

I thought you just sipped Kabinett out of straws!

I jumped back in with two toes, one from each foot, with the 2000 en primeur after a long absence and bought about 7 cases of “value” wines - barrel ratings of 90 and above and price under $30 en primeur. In the category of “keep the price down” but the wine is very solid, I would say my top choice for your palate is D’Issan. I also like the Lascombes, but that’s too modern for you. In Pomerol, I have found the Clos Rene to be very tasty and after years of waiting with disappointing bottles, the 2000 Fougas Maldorer has recently been delicious. These are a bit below the 2000 Leoville Barton, but still good value. AND if you like the Leoville Barton, then maybe you would also like the Lascombes after 20 years.

Had a Margaux last year at a friends that was spectacular. Haven’t had any other 2000 1st growths, but hard to go wrong with Margaux based on what I tasted.

Edited: Sorry just saw no 1st growths.

Chug it out of magnums!

2000 Bordeaux was my first vintage, 24 different wines in the cellar, but I’ve only opened Clos L’Eglise, not the Pomerol! That didn’t show very well.

I have 11 bottles of 2000 Bordeaux remaining: Palmer, Cos, Figeac, Canon-la-Gaffelière and Ducru.

No plans to purchase any more Bordeaux of any vintage.

Pichon Baron
Lynch Bages
LLC
Montrose
3-6 of each would make a nice start

I’be liked 2000 LP and 2000 La Croix St Georges.
Like LB but price has gone way up and still too young.
Pape Clement and Clos St Martin might be worth a look.
Calon Segur will need a long time and may not live up to potential once it gets there.
Have a bunch of 2000 but have tasted very few.
Anything close to early peak drinking now?

Both d’Issan and Giscours are outstanding and can be had for just north of $100. Both are classically styled.

I am loaded up with LLC, Pavie, Giscours, Leoville Poyferre, and Pichon Baron.

Pontet did not get so glossy until 2003 (though 2004 is more classical).

One of my value buys was 2000 Haut Bages Liberal, they’re still drinking well and were dirt cheap.

Agree with everyone else on Leoville Barton and Pichon Baron. Lalande is a step behind PB this vintage and given current cost I prefer ‘96.
Agree on Pontet Canet being disappointing though the style did not yet shift to what it is now.

I would add Brane Cantenac. Cheaper than many of the others mentioned with thrilling aromatics.
Ducru also a favorite this vintage and not overdone or “glossy” to me.
Montrose is awsome but haven’t had since ‘13 and seemed 10-15yrs away from maturity.
GPL also solid.

On the right bank La Conseilante is great but expensive.

I also agree about the Barton. I am not sure you’d like the Croix St George, although I did very much. You’d really like the Lynch Bages though. It’s gotten very expensive but if you can find a decent price or can stomach the going rate, I am pretty certain you’d like it. I agree with David; the 2000 Pontet is pretty trad. I have the Leo Poy but haven’t opened any. Like Russell, I am a little afraid of most.

Def.

Pontet canet
Les Carmes
Smith Haut
Larrivet Haut
Reserve Comtese
D’armailhac
G. Larose
Calon Segur

Pleasure that won’t break the bank

Giscours is good but not great

I’m sorry.