Favorite California Rhone Blends

Looking for a few suggestions. Current holdings are limited to a small amount from Donelan and Keplinger. Looking to fill up a bit on a case or two more, preferably below $50 a bottle.

1 Like

Tablas Creek Espirit de Beaucastel
Nicora’s wines down in Paso
Ridge makes a number of good RhĂŽne blends as well.

Probably many others as well.

Herman Story is solid.

Haven’t had anything newer than the 2013, but I’ve really liked Andrew Murray’s “Esperance”.

Limerick Lane’s Syrah/Grenache is also very good and in your price range.

Jaffurs High Tide
Tercero Verbiage

Both should be $30-$40.

Nicora’s reds are probably over $50 unless you are getting club pricing.

I haven’t tried any in awhile, but Pruett is really good.

Halcon esquisto
Dirty & Rowdy MSG

+1 on Tablas Creek, try their Cote de Tablas too, incredible wines at great price.

The GREAT thing about these types of blends is that, in general, you do not need to break the bank in order to get your hands on them!

The Tablas suggestions are wonderful, and you can even go with their Patelin level wines (using grapes from neighbor vineyards planted to their clones) for wines that are usually sub-$25 and worth every penny.

Sans Liege makes some killer QPR rhone blends using grapes from both SB and SLO counties - good stuff.

Herman Story and McPrice Myers continue to make some great stuff - albeit usually a bit more ‘turned up’ structure and alcohol-wise.

Zaca Mesa’s Z Cuvee usually over-delivers and Eric Mohseni is somewhat of a ‘below the radar’ kind of winemaker in our area who really is doing a nice job with those grapes.

Jaffurs High Tide is another great purchase, and along with their SBC Syrah, killer QPRs.

And I agree that you should look at Andrew Murray’s offering as well - good stuff.

In all honesty, if I were you, I might just wait until Berserkerday and wait to see what will be offered from some of us working with rhone varieties here in CA, OR and WA (hint hint) 

Cheers!

Does it have to be a blend? If so, I recommend QupĂ© “Los Olivos Cuvee”, roughly 60% Syrah, 25% Mourvedre, 15% Grenache. $28 from the winery.

But I also recommend the varietal ‘Rhone Ranger’ wines of QupĂ©, which is why I asked the question: Syrah (numerous bottlings, many vineyard designates); Grenache; Roussanne; Marsanne; and Viognier. All high quality, all reasonably priced.

Disclosure: Bob Lindquist, founder and winemaker of Qupé, is a personal friend. Beyond that, I have no stake or interest in Qupé.

I would add:

Edmunds St. John - Rocks & Gravel (2015 is still available but it’s the last vintage)

Unti Vineyards - Grenache (with syrah and grenache)

(Though I’m a fan of Ridge’s zins and cabernets, I’ve never been that keen on their Rhone wines.)

Drat! John beat me to it.

Yep, great suggestions indeed. That Edmunds dude seems to know what he’s doing around Rhone varieties. He’s kinda new to them, isn’t he?!?!? [snort.gif]

1 Like

Epoch, Law, Clos Selene, Villa Creek, Saxum They are a bit over $50 (like $70 or so, and $100+ for Saxum but they are awesome wines) but you might be able to find them on sale sometimes?? Grey Wolf has some solid wines under $50, J. Dusi?

Epoch is fantastic, but will almost certainly be over the $50 threshold.

1 Like

agreed Bryce, just trying to have him take a splurge and see if it is to his liking
 I know there are some killer wines in the sub $50 category :slight_smile:

Ojai, Quivet, Tensley and Carlisle come to mind.

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread. Just got a bottle of Edmunds St. John Rocks & Gravel to try out.

Tablas Creek, David Girard and Holly’s Hill.