Pinot noir, in a warmer world

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-23/winemakers-turn-to-mit-to-save-pinot-noir-in-warming-temperatures

Nice article…but boy those are expensive wines! $120 for a “village wine” from Oregon, wow!

So much for looking to Willamette Valley for a less expensive Burgundian experience.

I suspect that the Bloomberg article originated as a press release from the winery, and was barely edited.

I suspect you’re correct, but I’m not too worried about the prices they’re asking having much effect on the region as a whole. They’re taking a different approach than most folks around here, selling the sizzle as much as the steak.

Screw Chapter 24. Screw Lingua Franca.

Gotta have a bunch of overpriced stuff for all the trust fund babies moving to town and all the techies with big dollar jobs that need to flaunt their good fortune. [snort.gif]

Some people aren’t even interested in wine/goods, until the price goes up and the story gets long.

I like it when newcomers arrive to blab about what’s occurred all along.

I am editing this to add that this placement by their publicist is excellent.

I have a question: what kind of interest in smaller, say less than two thousand cases, wineries in Oregon that are Mom and Pop operations does this board have?

We see many of the same names all the time from OR producers, but there are a slew of up and coming people who simply don’t have the cash to hire publicists, let alone market well. Should I start a thread called “Tiny Oregon Wineries To Try” to see if there is much traction?

I waited until after Bday to ask because they’d need to show some effort, but what do you think? Thanks.

If it does seem plausible, then I’d just reco that they join as a Berserker Business.

That is a great question, and one that can be repeated almost anywhere in the wine world, except perhaps in Napa :slight_smile:

No matter how much us small producers want to admit it, it’s a tough world for us and we just have to work that much harder!

As you and I both know, it’s tough to be heard sometimes which is why patients truly is a virtue. That, and continuing to put out the great products that you do, my friend.

Todd, I’d definitely value a thread on smaller producers in Willamette. And as Larry points out, really from other regions. I’ve enjoyed learning more about Humboldt through that thread.

Is that what you call your customers now? :slight_smile:

Always a problem with talk-texting while driving :slight_smile: Its tough to multi-task these days! :wink: :wink:

I will pick a victim.

I would love for Todd to start a thread like that! I don’t care if a wine is big or small, big marketing budget or zero. I just care about the quality of the wine and the passion of those behind it. Todd is making some amazing stuff and I’m always on the lookout for more people like him, especially in areas that I thoroughly enjoy like WV. Great thought Todd!

I will get it going! And the big reason is there are many excellent producers that just don’t get the time of day from the various association up here. It is very chummy. And it is saturated too. Something will come this week, and like Larry said it can be repeatable in other areas too. Kind of like a local nod of what to check out. Certainly I will include some of my clients as I’m a shill like that!

If anyone gains traction I will just strongly suggest that they become a Berserker Business too. Always share the love with Mr. French et al.

And may I add, not just become a beserker business, but actually take part in our community rather than just on a single day. :slight_smile:

This article is laughable. So factually full of bullshit it is nearly impossible to read without laughing out loud. Pure marketing blabber printed without bothering to question it at all.

I have to agree with that. I noticed several wine business people that made a appearance here this BDIX and yes it would be nice for their more frequent participation during the time between Berserker Days.

Yep, seems about right: just printed what the publicist told them. Too bad, as I generally like Bloomberg as an online news source–fast and quite international, which is rare.