TN: 2014 Argyle Vintage Brut (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

2014 Argyle Vintage Brut - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/29/2018)
Very well made. It has been a while with Argyle Brut that I can get excited but this delivers. Fragrant nose with floral, spice, citrus and chalk. Very complex on the finish and medium to long at that. This really has some nice fruit and should age but really why wait. Really good value! 91 points

1 Like

Agree. At $20 per delivers solid value. A hair lacking in acid, but a crowd pleaser.

I just bought the last of 8 bottles at shop in Minneapolis for $17.50. It is amazing the deals you can get on 30% sales at a wine shop that is a hole in the wall. Most people come in going I buy cheap wine.

They do an extended tirage. I had it a few years back and it was out if this world. Best domestic sparkler I’ve ever had by a wide margin.

1 Like

+1 on crowd-pleaser. I practically go through a case on NYE every year. The other great domestic value out there is the Schramsberg BdB, which I’ve found on closeout in the $23 range.

I agree with you Chris on the extended triage. Bought a bunch of 99 extended triage years ago and have been drinking them recently. Remarkably fresh and lively for a 18 year old bubbly Really tasty.

They do an extended tirage. I had it a few years back and it was out if this world. Best domestic sparkler I’ve ever had by a wide margin.

Another vote for it. I have not seen it around in the Twin Cities lately. I am sure it is at some wine shop.

We had the 2012 Vintage Argyle Brut last night, and I was very impressed. It’s lighter and maybe not as beaded as our usual Roederer Estate, but it had a light touch of elderflower kind of flavor at the end. This has kept very well. Normally, since we’re within CA, it seems like CA sparklies are priced a shade cheaper here than everwhere else (I can normally get six packs of mass produced NV Roederer Estate for $16 per for example) so I don’t stray much out of local sparklies unless we are going for Champagne…but this Argyle might get added to the buy list.

Is there a big gap in quality between their NV and vintage bottlings?

Is there a big gap in quality between their NV and vintage bottlings?

They only do vintage offerings which is really nice to keep it simple and know how long a bottle has been sitting around a shop.

I have always been a fan of Argyle sparklers and have drank some aged bottles that were surprisingly good.

Just came here to say this.

So I have a contrary opinion. I’ve never had an experience with an Argyle wine that made me take notice of it. I have some friends that like the producer, so I see I’ve tried them quite a few timesI’ve liked the extended tirage the best, but for $70 you can buy champagne that will blow it out of the water. In fact, even though they claim a traditional method, I don’t think Argyle tastes anything like champagne.

I’m not sure I’d want it to taste like Champagne any more than I want my Willamette Pinot tasting like Burgundy.

The 2015 is vivid, bright acidity-laden.

Yup, it didn’t used to be $70. I paid $43 and at that price it crushes IMO.

Argyle sometimes runs sales as well, and I believe gives discounts for buying in case quantities directly from them. I don’t think I paid $43 for mine, but it was certainly less than $70.

Yeah that $43 was an old sale and case price.

Great tasting room/bubble bar right in town in Dundee too.

There Reserve Pinot for around $25 has been really good the last few vintages.