What Wine Is This?

Okay all you closet sommeliers. This is going to be my State Of The Union wine. Any guesses what it is. Vintage is also required. (Note how similar the aroma and flavor profiles are.)

Wine Spectator: 99 Points
“Ripe and unctuous, showing terrific cut, with heather, white peach, green almond, Anjou pear, persimmon and macadamia nut notes all framed by a toasted brioche hint. Exquisitely detailed through the finish, this shows salted butter and chammomile details. Remains refined, focused and pure, despite the obvious power. Best from 2017 through 2030.”

Wine Advocate: 97
it is an exquisite wine with fabulous fruit intensity. Lots of acacia flower, anise, quince, fig and pineapple intermixed with a hint of white peaches emerge from this well-delineated, full-bodied, enormously endowed, complex, dry white.

Aubert Chard? Koongsgard Chard? Just guessing without looking anything up . . .

Not a Chardonnay, or they would have said so. Reads like a SQN review, but it’s not. Those are some wild and reaching descriptors for the wine it turns out to be (I cheated, so I’ll leave it for others to guess).

So if you cheated and you mentioned SQN . . .

I love Tuesday trivia! A relatively recent release of a Rhône white would have been my guess and after googling I know exactly which one.

Unctuous is usually a descriptor I associate with viscosity/slippery texture of Rhone white varietals, as does “enormously endowed”. Salted butter on the finish implies salinity, which once again would be consistent with Rhone, likely northern. That’s about as far as I can get without cheating.

Sounds like a Chave Blanc/Chapourtier Le Meal

Oops [pwn.gif]

Based on the full bodied description and aromatics, I’m thinking a Marsanne-Roussanne blend, typically found in Hermitage Blanc. I think there’s a few years in the bottle, so I’m guessing a 5-10 year old (2008-2012).

Chave Hermie Blanc

[winner.gif] There are no secrets in this digital age. It is a 2010.

I think that for the next Tuesday trivia (provided that you are willing and able to come up with another), that along with the pro rating(s), you should include your own tasting note as opposed to the pro tasting note(s) so that there is a higher degree of difficulty in determining the mystery wine than just googling a portion of the known tasting note. Thoughts?

They sell it at Costco here in big D