Don't Stop Me Now... OR The Young and Spend-y Thread

This place has turned into a forum for ascetics.

Neil has publicly proclaimed that he’s done buying. Greg started a thread where a bunch of people are talking about their plans to stop buying while a bunch of others are sharing their combined wisdom about how to do so. All over this board, there are posts bragging about NOT buying wine.

I’m 32, have three kids under six, stay home full time, work part-time and I married a sugar momma. [snort.gif]

My plan for the foreseeable future is to buy far more wine than I can ever hope to enjoy at a pace I’ll never be able to drink at. If I see a wine I want, I’m buying it.*†

Who’s with me?! champagne.gif

*Assuming that there’s money left after diapers, preschool tuition, college funds, mortgage and car payments, etc.
†And assuming my wife says it’s ok.

Have you build a giant cellar yet? neener

Been there, done that! Let us geezers pasture in peace.

Me. 34 with two kids under 5. I’m firmly in the acquisition phase, which is facilitated by the fact that, with young kids and a 24/7 job, I really don’t drink wine very often. Limited drinking opportunities and limited storage have led me to focus on quality over quantity.

I think Kiuhl should buy all the wine.

I was totally joking in the prior thread about limiting my buying to current burgundy/ Rhone allocations and back vintage deals. Cause that’s a lot of damn wine in those 3 categories. Lol.

1. 1 kid. My sugar mama took a fed job so I’m now the sugar daddy.

I’m 37 with a 7 year old and a 5 year old. I’ve recently ‘slowed’ my purchases somewhat…but honestly…its because of storage and the fact that I like being married.
I’ve been buying heavily over the past few years, and my wine wall we just built in our new house is almost at capacity already. I managed to keep 1 locker at my previous offsite (which is also almost full)…but if I tried to take on another locker, I’m 100% confident my wife would divorce me. So until I can figure that out… ‘selective buying’ is the name of the game.

I’m 34 with two kids, ages 5 and 2. My wife and I both make good money (sugar mommas and daddys) and I plan on buying 200+ wines per year for the next 5 decades, if I’m fortunate enough to continue these good times. We are playing with the idea of building a cellar, but I think it will decrease the value of our home if we move, which is likely since we’re young.

I try to focus on variety, while I already have some favorites I still want to drink year after year (Rusack, Williams Selyem, Rhys, Tercero). I wish backfilling was easier as most of my pinot noir is vintage 2015+ and not ready to drink. I’ve found some great deals on K&L to backfill, however, I limit my buying to wines I’ve tasted myself that I know age well, and I’m limited to what my father buys (Rhys, Williams Selyem mostly) for the most part.

My Eurocave has reached its 175 bottle capacity so a new Eurocave is likely on the horizon if things go well this year.

Excited to keep this “lifestyle” going!

Sounds like a fun plan, but I have to completely disagree about a cellar decreasing the value of your home.

I knew I wanted a wine wall in my house before we even started building it, but literally every architect we spoke with was all about it, and said wine cellars (particularly wine walls) are the new theatre rooms (as in more people are now doing them as opposed to theatre rooms). Not sure if it matters/has anything to do with that assessment, but my wife and I have a very contemporary style and so is the house we built/architects we met with

This thread is making me feel old. I remember 34. Sort of.
Now, let me step away from this thread and finish paying another application fee for my daughter’s freshman year of college coming this fall. Yikes.

Love it! I’d rather party with the kids.

Fu has made me spend a lot of money these last few months, trying to beat him out or match him on all those unicorns he chases! I’m a tweener, getting up there at 51 but still spending money like my college kid! Like the rhesus monkey on that scientific experiment.

As your lawyer, I have to remind you that this is what resulted in the protective order.

Glad to see us old geezers haven’t discouraged you young whippersnappers.

Bail was cheap. Memories are priceless.

Damn kids with sugar mamas [wink.gif] [snort.gif]

Watching both these threads has me wondering the overall board demographics

With you! Only been into wine in a serious way for two years, and just recently felt like i am starting to “get it”, so purchasing has picked up w/ a focus on quality. No plans to slow down in near future.

Predominately male. :wink:

Believe me, you aren’t getting it, and that’s not dissing you but the fact is just when you think you’re getting it, a good blind tasting or a palette shift are all you need to experience to say WTF!

BTW - old fart here with too much wine still buying wine. Never said I was smart! [cheers.gif]

Haha I believe it, and i’ve exerienced a few of these moments already but find they make me like it more, and buy more! Sill plenty of unexplored regions and varietals for me so like i said, no plans of stopping!