TNs: Sauternes and Winter BBQ Faceoff in Toronto

Berserkers,

Last night fellow board member Michael Grammer and I had the pleasure of being guests at a special wine and winter BBQ faceoff event hosted by fellow board member Dylan Provencher and his lovely wife Chelsea in their beautiful downtown Toronto home. Dylan reached out to Michael Grammer in order to finally put a face to a fellow local board member and I tagged along as Mike’s sidekick, for wine sidekicking is what I do best in life.

The evening was highlighted by a double main event: a blind Sauternes tasting in which we were challenged to find the Chateau Yquem amongst a blind trio which was then followed by a winter BBQ faceoff pitting two of the city’s best BBQ restaurants against each other.

In addition, each attending guest generously brought a high-end bottle from their personal wine collections to match with the BBQ food. As a result, many fine reds along with a great sparkling and a white were also imbibed. As such, I will happily break the report down into its major components:

SAUTERNES BLIND FACEOFF

The evening began with a trio of blind Sauternes expertly served in a trio of tasting glasses for everyone. This was originally going to be the finisher after the BBQ faceoff, Dylan informed us, until his friend Ross gave him the inspired notion to do the Sauternes faceoff first instead when people’s appetites and palates would not be satiated by the BBQ food and various wines. This proved to indeed be the ideal course of action.

The only information we had as a group was that one of the Sauternes was indeed an aged Chateau d’Yquem. No information at all was given on the other two. Our challenge was both to identify the Yquem as well as score and pick our favorite in order to declare a winner. This would prove to be a fun and humbling experience as I would embarrassingly forget the lessons I learned at the recent Winetasters of Toronto “Hello Sweetie!” 01 Sauternes tasting event as you’ll see below. Ross also generously provided a duck rillette and foie gras terrine with baguette slices to accompany the Sauternes, making it a full appetizer and aperitif course.

BLIND I: A deep rich gold in color. Nose is all honey, I don’t register any fruit or botrytis. In the mouth, extremely sweet honey and vanilla with a bit of roasted tropical fruit. I was sure this was definitely not the Yquem but when Dylan actually called for the vote, I overheard someone say they were sure it was aged Yquem from the color and I inexplicably changed my vote to this last second, completely forgetting that this was the very same reason I changed my mind last second on the 01 Myrat at the Winetasters event. Sadly, I caved to peer pressure the way a reed bends to a hurricane. REVEAL: Chateau Suiduiraut 1989 Sauternes. I was a little surprised as I found this very unbalanced towards sweetness compared to the other two and I usually associate Suiduiraut with high quality and balance, right up there with Climens and Rieussec.

BLIND II: Much lighter in color, but a superbly intense nose and palate of buckwheat honey and tropical fruit that was quite heady. I had an interesting conversation with a guest who thought this was actually a Tokaji, it was so intense and I actually started to agree. No way a Sauternes could be this intensely tropical. Then I looked at the blind wrapped bottles and their uniform shape ruled that one out due to not matching the unique look of a Tokaji bottle but damn I could why he felt that way. I was super impressed with this but did not peg it all for the Yquem. Absolutely outstanding sweet wine. REVEAL: Chateau d’Yquem 1995 Sauternes. Only two of the over 30 assembled guests correctly guessed this as the Yquem upon Dylan’s call for the vote and honestly the rest of us looked at them like they were crazy… only to be severely humbled when it turned out they were right. I usually associate Yquem with finesse and the Winetasters event backed that up but man this one was super powerful in a really good way. It really did come off more as Tokaji than a Sauternes.

BLIND III: From conversations I had around the room, this was the favorite of the three as well as my personal favorite. Highly balanced nose and palate of botrytis glycerin, roasted pineapple, dried mango, and vanilla. While not as intense as II, it was superbly balanced and the most complex of the three Sauternes. Before I foolishly changed my mind last second, this was my actual guess as the Yquem. REVEAL: Chateau Suiduiraut 2001 Sauternes. Wow. You could hear the pleasant shock go through the crowd because, again, this was the clear favorite of the crowd before the reveal. More than that, it is certainly a lot more affordable that the Yquem and far more likely to be acquired if not already in cellars today… which probably explains the wide grins and people whispering to each other I noticed after the reveal. A well deserved win. Interesting that this is the second time in recent experience an Yquem has placed second in a blind contest to me but honestly it was once again really quite close.
20180302_193211_HDR.jpg
TORONTO BBQ FACEOFF

With the first phase of the evening’s event out of the way, Dylan’s wife Chelsea arrived with the BBQ food for the faceoff. The food was provided by the Beach Hill Smokehouse and Hog Town Smoke. The restaurants provided the exact same BBQ’ed proteins and traditional sides: side ribs, brisket, burnt ends, sausage, and chicken accompanied by their signature sauces, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, corn bread and creamy coleslaw. Hog Town Smoke also provided one extra, a red cabbage slaw with a traditional vinegar and oil dressing which was not part of the contest. All items were judged on visual appeal, texture, and taste. Please note the pics are taken directly from the BlogTO’s website coverage of each restaurant for sample representation purposes only as unfortunately my phone ran out of power shortly after snapping as many of the wines as I could.

Judging from conversations with the crowd and my own scores, Beach Hill Smokehouse really pulled away on the proteins, with the crowd especially loving the smoked sausage, side ribs and the melt in your mouth brisket which the fat had really permeated quite well. Many felt the macaroni and cheese was an afterthought and the cornbread was too sweet, though.
Beach Hill Smokehouse.jpg
Hog Town Smoke’s proteins were very tasty but not as smooth as those from Beach Hill and I could tell that was making a big difference for most of the crowd, though a few people also told me they specifically preferred the drier less fatty texture of their proteins. Where Hog Town ran away is with the sides. Their creamy macaroni and cheese was a hit, their corn bread muffins tasted more like corn. I loved the red slaw and at one point people were eating their creamy slaw right out of the containers to finish them off.
Hog Town Smoke.jpg
My own personal judgment was that Beach Hill had won for ribs, sausage, burnt ends and baked beans. Hog Town Smoke had won for mac ‘n’ cheese, cornbread and coleslaw. Dead tie for both the brisket and the chicken. I think this fell very much in line with the majority.

With our double main event concluded, the rest of the evening was spent socializing, drinking and of course much more eating. All bottles were opened and flowed freely and generously throughout the event. Dylan’s brother Sean also had his birthday coming up the next day so a large chocolate birthday cake was served for dessert along with the best rum cake I’ve ever had in my life which was made and donated to the event by Sean’s wife. I did my best to taste everything in small amounts in order to experience it all. Even then I failed to get to a number of wines but it’s all good. On to the wines I did get a hold of:

ULTRAMARINE 2013 BLANC DE BLANCS – My second crack at this superb California sparkling wine. More reminiscent of Franciacorta than Champagne, this wine has ripeness to the fresh fruit and nice toasty lees, but what really makes it stand out is the incredibly smooth texture. Just glides down the palate and esophagus.

CAVE ST. DESIRAT 2015 CONDRIEU – Literally liquid flowers on the aroma and palate. Great oily texture, but I also felt it was oaked too strongly and it had a bit of a phenolic bitterness on the finish. It is young, so perhaps the oak will recede.

FONTODI 2005 FLACCIANELLO DELLA PIEVE – This rather complex well-aged red had a strong savoriness to go along with its plum flavors and smooth tannins. In fact, it specifically reminded me of Chinese salted and dried plums. I didn’t enjoy it on its own but it was a great match for the BBQ.

BODEGA LA AZUL 2009 GRAN RESERVA – A very smooth Malbec with a long finish and smooth tannins.
20180302_191245_HDR.jpg
SOJOURN 2014 NAPA VALLEY CABERNET SAUVIGNON – One of my two WOTNs, incredibly smooth texture with dark currant flavors and no tannins that I could detect, surprising for such a young Napa Cab. Really nice and not an overoaked fruit bomb. Cali big but lots of finesse in that parameter.

PIO CESARE 2004 BAROLO – So as knew I was closing off my collection, I made sure that the few Barolos I did get were in the 2007-2009 age range as I figured they’d be ready during my lifetime. Maybe not according to this. The unmistakable combo of menthol spice, sour cherry flavor and rose petal aromas that scream out Barolo are also mixed with a rubber tar aroma and still quite strong tannins. This has a long youth ahead of it still.

TRAPICHE ISCAY 2013 SYRAH-VIOGNIER – Still quite young, this Mendoza Valley Syrah has large ripe black currant and blackberry flavors and very strong tannins. This could be just me, but I honestly fail to see what Viognier adds to the mix, though I know it’s quite popular to blend it with Syrah/Shiraz in hotter climates. Honestly, the flowers and fruit I normally associate with Viognier are just completely lost here which makes me think either the wine is too young or the hot climate Syrah just overwhelms it. Not a bad wine by any means but I much prefer either purer and more bombastic Cali or Aussie Syrah softened by age or a cool climate French or Niagara Syrah/Shiraz.

SALVAOTRE MOLETTIERI 2006 TAURASI CINQUE QUERCE – Literally my first time ever having a Taurasi and I had to research it before finalizing my note as I’ve never heard of this type of Italian wine before or the Aglianico grape it is made from. Extremely high acidity and blazing sour cherry flavors with a strong tannic backbone. Like a Nebbiolo based wine put through an atom splitter. Barolo to the 100th degree is the only thought that came to my mind. Honestly, this was cheek-puckering, almost Riesling like in its level. I would not drink on its own but it was excellent with the spicy BBQ sausage and rich brisket.
20180302_192345_HDR.jpg
SADIE FAMILY 2006 COLUMELLA – My first ever South African Shiraz. Bombastic rich tannin, black currant fruit, and black pepper spice. I take back a little of what I said about the Trapiche Iscay, now I see that Viognier really does soften Shiraz up quite a bit and makes it more accessible. I prefer this style of Shiraz but recognize this is still a bit too young to drink because of the deep tannins and needs more time to age.

D’ARENBERG 2001 DEAD ARM SHIRAZ – And speaking of more bombastic Shiraz softened by age… Powerful red plum and black currant flavor but a lot smoother in texture. Really rich in the fruit. It very nearly beat out the Kutch to tie for the WOTN. I believe the Columella will eventually reach this point as well. Really nice.

LES HAUTS DE SEIGNOL 2009 BANDOL – This Mourvedre based Bandol had excellent red plum fruit flavors with high acidity and strong tannins that gave a bit of an anise note to it. Mourvedre is not one of my preferred grapes but I did respect this. I think Mourvedre makes far better Rosé than actual red wine but I am spoiled by Domaine Ott.

KUTCH 2013 FALSTAFF PINOT NOIR – Tied for my WOTN with the Sojourn. Again, the smooth texture with nary a tannin lets the bright red cherry flavor come through with a touch of rose petals and licorice. Not sure how these high-end Cali winemakers are pulling this off but they should keep on doing it. I’m sure it’s not coincidence that the two red wines where I couldn’t detect any tannin were my WOTNs. If any the other wines had their tannins softened by either age or winemaking, they would be competing a lot closer as the 01 Dead Arm Shiraz did.

Whew. Quite the wine evening. A very special thank you to Dylan and Chelsea for opening their stunning home to Michael and I and all the assembled guests for their generous wine contributions. You can tell by the wines present that people really went out of their way to choose special bottles from their collections for the special evening. Nothing makes instant friends out of complete strangers faster than a shared passion for wine and food does. They of course have an open invitation to join the TWEC ™ on any of our own outings at any time.
20180302_192400_HDR.jpg

1995 was not a bad yquen vintage but the comparison is silly. Anyone who thinks 01 Suiduiraut is better than 01 Yquem will get my attention. This comparison?
Not so much. Thanks for the notes though T.

A great thank you to Chelsea and Dylan for putting together this great night.

It was actually tough work to judge best side ribs, brisket, burnt ends, sausage, chicken, sauces, side dishes (Mac & Cheese, backed beans, corn bread, coleslaw, red cabbage) AND 23 wines (including 3 magnums, one of them professionally sabred by Tim).

All wines showed well and there was not a single dud in the line up. The Sauternes blind tasting was a lot of fun and the 01 Suiduiraut was for me the one deserved to be mentioned first. It showed the most complexity and balance of all three.

Great notes Tran, I would like to add the 2006 Clos del Ray to the list of wines which went really well with the food. A real baby (as the 06 Taurusi) and has still a long way to go. I believe the Pio was a 2004, but I might be mistaken. A night were details became a bit blurry.

Yes indeed. The 01 Sud was the winner of these three with most of us.

My notes are quite different from Tran’s for some of these, and he got to some I didn’t, which is good. What must be said is how much fun we all had and what marvelous hosts Dylan and Chelsea were to welcome all of us wine hooligans into their home. I was able to reunite with Jay D’Antonio, who I see far too little of, and with Ross Morrison and Peter Papay, as well as meet Peter’s wife Nasrin for the first time. Dylan’s brother Sean was a super co-host and we all had fun with his b-day cake.

OK, on to the wines. Some of my vintage years will be different from Tran’s as well :wink:

2004 Pio Cesare Barolo

I wanted to get to this first, for whatever reason. Dried fruit and roses nose–still a tight bouquet. Plenty of tannic life in this still, there are replays but it is starting to display some style as well, if also somewhat of a ceiling.

2015 Cave Saint-Desirat Condrieu

Jay brought this and I’ve never had this producer. Honey yes, but heather notes as well and some pineapple. I found this very tasty indeed, with peach tones and a frame of light cream and I can’t say I detected any overoaking here.

OK. We took our 3 glasses and compared. Blind #1 had a lovely whisky colour to it–categorically darker than the other two. ‘Perfumed nougat’ seems to be what \I want to write, a candied nut toffee scent also pervading. This is something to put on one’s tongue, with such sublime class and balance. It never wants to leave your mouth…at first. But subsequent sips start to show a tiny hot and bitter twang. I did think this was the 95 D’Yquem (knowing it wasn’t the best year), but as you see it turned out to be the 1989 Chateau Suduiraut . I don’t think I’ve had Sud from this year before (I’ll have to check), but if I have, this was clearly the best example. A pretty darned good Sauternes.

Blind #2 is full gold. The aromatics are a bit more locked up. Still, with swirling, gingered pineapple emerges along with vanilla bean. Botrytis is just a bit more present here. I differ strongly from Tran on this wine, as I found it did not have the depth of the first, but is still fairy-lovely, dancing across the tongue with sweet lemon candy, dried pineapple and tangy citrus finish. I’d have guessed La Tour Blanche and was a little surprised this was the 1995 Chateau D’Yquem

Blind #3 also full gold. Whiffs of Xanadu, I write. Knee-buckling flowers, honey, sweet key lime, kiwi, lemon and pineapple all make an appearance in the nuzzie. Could sniff this forever. Palate is composed and delish. And long. Each orange and star-fruit-filled sip is better than the last. Pretty close to amazing. Is this my perfect 01 D’Yquem? No, but I will take credit for nailing the vintage, and the orange note should have given the producer away for me. This 2001 Chateau Suduiraut will find its way onto the WOTY list and is, I think, the best of about 8 of these that I’ve tried. A wonderful, wonderful glass of magic.

Onto the rest

2003 Two Hands Max’s Garden Shiraz

From mag. Cool fruit and eucalyptus bouquet. The older style for them, brings out the cool-but-intense side of Heathcote. Still youngish but balanced with a mouthful of blue and black plum mixed with some menthol. I didn’t notice anything off about this bottle.

2003 Flaccianello della Piave

I just had a quick sip of this—it was surprisingly fresh for the vintage and had traces of leather to the clear red fruit nose and palate. Maybe not as memorable as the 07, it was still quite enjoyable.

2013 Kutch Falstaff Pinot Noir

I brought this, rooty-fruity with sweet raspberry and crabapple notes. Dans la bouche, it’s still kinetic, but getting there, the structure that I like out of the Falstaff fruit is definitely evident. I understand this got better as the night went on and had many fans.

2010 Telmo Rodriguez Lanzana

Aside from the 01 Sud, this was my WOTN. Man, this screams quality Rioja to me—which for me means leather and dark chocolate and blackberry and plum and smidge of licorice nose. So very, very good. Drenches the cheeks with sweet plum pie, but follows it with coffee grounds and some hints of date even along with black fruit. Really splendid stuff.

2006 Aldeasona

Had never heard of this either. Rather unusual aroma, funk, blackberry and maybe even some beets in the background. Funk does blow off and the fruit ascends. Solid wine to taste, wealth of blue and black fruits and a whisper of smoke.

2014 Sojourn Beckstoffer Georges III Cab

I brought this too, figuring a meat-off needed one of these. Lifted bouquet of high-toned cherry and spicecake. Modern style, crushy velvet, but very full and rich plum and cherry fruit. Not a lot of secondary at this point, but plenty of power. I have had a little more balanced and sophisticated from Sojourn from here, but this does express the fruit and strength of the vineyard very well.

2009 Les Hauts de Seignol Bandol

Plenty of earth and smoked leaves in the sniffer. Pretty red rhubarb and plum fruit joins it. On the tongue, quite linear with some vulcanized rubber and very dark fruit. Not my favourite this night.

A splendid way to end the day after tasting in Niagara earlier.

Sante,

Mike

Great notes, thanks for posting. Always lovely to see the '01 Suduiraut showing so well, as it always has for me. I’m a big fan of the '95 Yquem (for me a bit lighter but just as complex as the '96 and '97), but it has been a few years since I had it.

Twas indeed as I look at my own magnified pic on my phone which I did not post. Fixed above. Seeing as how it is even older than I thought, I expect to be elderly when drinking mt own Barolos.

I was most impressed, Ashish, that it was, as far as I know, basically pop and pour for the Sauternes, so for it to express that much right away was quite something. Compare with a 2001 Coutet that I slow-oxed for a day and drank best on day 4.

Mike

I love this post obviously! Thanks for the notes Mike and Tran!

Small note, the sauternes were slow-oxed for about 12 hours.