TN: 2012 Domaine Pierre Gelin Chambertin-Clos de Bèze

• 2012 Domaine Pierre Gelin Chambertin-Clos de Bèze - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru (3/5/2018)
    My retailer got a wholesale closeout offer. I haven’t seen Domaine Pierre Gelin wines for awhile but the price was excellent and the CT ratings were in the middle 90s, so bought a case. Expressive youthful nose displaying perfectly ripe pure black fruit, crushed black berry, a hint of light strawberry jam, sweet spices, rose, a hint of espresso bean and limestone. Very polished, harmonious and detailed palate, very finely layered pure black fruit, silky and airy, perfect amount of acidity, good mineral presence and a long seamless pure black fruit and clove driven finish. Definitely a top grand crus. It will need another decade or two to reach the youthful peak. I have no doubt that this will be a great Beze, love to taste next to the Rousseau version. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for this, Kevin. A producer we actually see up here every so often, though not the CdB. Have you tried any of his lower-end offerings in the past? Fine note as always.

Mahalo nui loa,

Mike

Mike,
I have not had the lower end offerings. I had the 90 CdB which was good but not great, i.e. the 90 ripeness.

fixin clos napoleon is fantastic

A long time ago, I had the Gelin Clos de Bèze 1989. Ripe too, of course, average (90/100).

You should try to find this bottle, definitely top GC GC quality.

Anyone try the 08 lately?

Totally agree. I tasted 4-5 of the least expensive wines in the 2015 lineup and all exceeded expectations, including Clos Napoleon. Meixvelles and Clos Prieur are very good as well