TN: 2012 Nikolaihof Grüner Veltliner Federspiel Im Weingebirge

• 2012 Nikolaihof Grüner Veltliner Federspiel Im Weingebirge - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (3/18/2018)
    Pale white gold. Nose of white rock, petrol, lychee, floral notes, smoky flint. Salty and slightly sweet tropical fruit on the palate evoking white peach, apricot, lychee again, and apple. Lovely acidity and underlying mineral structure. Moderately long finish of peach, grip, and schist. A hit with corned beef. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds delicious. Grüner Veltliner can wrap itself around so many foods.

David,

I agree. Folks at dinner were initially dubious when they saw the strange bottle next to the platter of corned beef but it was a great and pleasant surprise to everyone once they tried it. Loved the display of pure fruit and stony spine on this one.

Cheers,
Doug

Gruner is one of my summer favourites. Depending on style and age it can be very versatile and be matched up with a wide array of dishes. I am curious to see how some of my older bottles will develope as I have not a lot of experience with aged GV.

Peter,

I was just thinking that GV has so many “faces” and styles as you say. This was more tropical and stony whereas others I have tasted were dry as a bone and laced with petrol. I haven’t had any aged bottles either - more research clearly needed.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug,

What puzzles me is that GV can still show substantial amount of citrus notes and moderate acidity levels well into its high age (+60 years!). Not many varietals are able to withstand that long of an impact of time. I am following various tasting notes in awe and hope to get my hands on a well preserved bottle during one of my next trips to Austria (my favourite by far).

Cheers,
Peter

Love this wine and in this vintage!

People used to “challenge” me with food pairings, so I’d suggest Grüner for the tough ones. The more difficult the pairing, the more I’d pick Grüner!

Never fails haha

Peter and Peter,

Well I may have to procure more bottles then sit on them for a long time. May not be a bad strategy considering the pairing versatility.

Parenthetically we biked through the Wachau Valley and visited Weingut Knoll several years ago. Such great memories.

Cheers,
Doug